TS/TG stereotypes in adverts and television.

• April 2, 2008 5:05 PM BST
    The 888 ladies commercial is also broadcast in many countries..I saw it in february in Tunisia.
    And I have to say it is a complete waste of time complaining to the OFCOM/ASA as TS are seen as being highly visible characters in eyecatching adverts regardless of the harm it does socially in constantly reinforcing the public's perception of TG/TS as being freaks/queers etc.

On 12 August 2004 I complained to OFCOM about the use of the two fat bearded crossdressers in the Bounty Kitchen Paper adverts. OFCOM says 'we have recieved similar complaints in the past' 'we assess response from viewers and judge if the portrayal is in the pantomime tradition of men with beards in frocks' 'We dont think the adverts are seen by the average viewer as anything to do with gender reassignment.' 'Please be assured that the Bounty theme is viewed innocently by viewers in general'.

On 23 March 2006 I complained to OFCOM about the portrayal of a transsexual character in a police drama and the sneering attitude and comment of a policeman towards the TS.. then policeman rammed paperwork hard against the TS busom in a way he wouldnt dare do to a GG.
    OFCOM dodges and says 'responsibility lies with broadcaster' 'it was fiction and not a blueprint for viewers to act in same way' ' We don't think the prog sought to denigrate or encourage the abuse of TS' 'The inclusion of content is for broadcaster to decide.'

So why have TS/TG characters? Lots of other stereotypes that could be used...isnt there? Or do all other stereotypes have protection? Would OFCOM come down hard on any advert that included ..well..I'd better not give a list of stereotypes had I or my post would be censored.

• 2017 posts
    April 2, 2008 8:36 PM BST
    Perhaps it's just me but I find the bounty advert funny and not offensive in any way. Some things should be taken at face value sometimes otherwise they can get out of hand.

If a TS character is potrayed properly on screen, at least that is making people more aware that there are a lot of us out there. There will always be stereotypes regardless of gender, sexuallity, colour and so on, I'm not bothered, it's just entertainment.

It's what happens in the real world with TG people that captures my attention.

Nikki
  • April 3, 2008 10:25 PM BST
    six million jews went up the chimney because a funny little man kept making remarks about them
    • 236 posts
    April 8, 2008 11:10 AM BST
    Where can one start ?
    the tradition of cross dressing in this country epecially on stage goes back way into the mists of time, is there something in the english psyche ?
    If the subject of Transvestism was portrayed in a serious drama in film or Television then how that subject was portrayed would have more power to affect someones attitude than a flipant advert. which is the equivilant of tommorrows chip paper in Television terms.
    Transvestites themselves are in many ways their own worst enemy.
    Now before I get any one upset hackles up knives out ready to get me please consider from an outsider non Transvestite aware person.
    Whered does an ordanry member of the public meet a Transvestite ? have a chance to talk with them ? not out in broad daylight, poss in a bar or club at night where the more adventurous transvestites may dare to go.
    For the more demure transvestite they be a member of an organistation like the beaumont society.Where thy will be with others like them and some of their partners may attend too,this is in a closed club group type situation.
    The other extreme of the transvestite spectrum is the girls who love to be seen out there in the real world strutting their stuff usually the more extrovert types and more often than not dressing in a very tarty,provocative manor and enjoy being seen by non transvestites. Ineveitably these are the types of transvestites that are seen by the public. The few transvestites who perefr to blend in with the average woman and are brave enough to go out mabe shopping for a new out fit may not be read by the public or be taken as a transgendered person that is seen as a TS. How would the public know the difference between the two TV ? TS ? unless they actully asked the person.
    The majority of transvestites out there are in the closet behaving as if its a dirty secret that must be hiden at all costs to prevent breakdown of their relationship/marrige family etc. That is understandable and fair enough.
    My question to those of you who take umbrage at the media portayals of transvestites what are you doing to enlighten the media ,writers ,producers ?
    Girls like Katie Glover do a great deal towards this.
    Its a little like having some religious cult where only the believers are allowed into the circle the secrets of the cult kept away from the outside world to avoid ridicule,persecution. Therefore its like a vicious circle who will break this circle ?
    Its a totally different scenario for the Transexual out there.Interacting taking part all up front in the open with the everyday world.Some are unmistakably a woman so no one knows what they was like in their former existance.Many others are not so lucky (or rich enough for all that plastic surgery) and kind of passable in appearance thus questions may be asked (though most peoplke are too polite to ask).This means that over time more and more of the public see meet and get to know a little more about Transgendered / Transexual and Iam talking here of both the male and the female TS.

My conclusion............................. I hope that I have put across the dilemma of portrayals of the transvestite by advertisers,films,television drama,sit-coms etc.
    The only real way to enlighten the public is by interaction with them.Also we should also learn not to take ourselves too seriously being our own worse enemy by over reacting. Lets face it, it is a comical notion a guy in a dress, even if your feelings may be hurt by such images or portayals. I personally found for example the little britain portrayals fairly funny taking the micky out of the general publics view of transvestism. Dick emery was another classic performer who relied more on character than the fact that he was in a dress.
    In essance lighten up life is too short their are far more serious concerns we face as members of society and if you are angry about a portrayal you have seen. What are you doing to change or contribute to a change in view ? being an armchair commentator ?
    • 1912 posts
    April 8, 2008 1:06 PM BST
    Sarah, you have done an outstanding job laying out what you see going on in TG stereotyping. Personally I have to wholeheartedly agree with you. I don't think you are saying, nor am I, that any TG's are bad because of what they do, you just spell out what the public actually ends up seeing.

The idea of movies, commercials or ads ever telling the public about the real us is asking a lot. Maybe they already do when you see an ad with a woman doing whatever, just maybe she is TS. You can't expect an ad to say "by the way, so and so is a transsexual." In the end, interaction is probably our best resource for educating the public.

Marsha
    • 2017 posts
    April 8, 2008 1:39 PM BST
    It's the same when someone says they have never seen a convincing transsexual. Well, duh! That's because you thought she was a genetic female!!

TV and film will always potray parody's on every group no matter what and as long as it is in the right spirit, I have no problem with it at all. It's just entertainment. Take it in the spirit it was intended.

Nikki

• 2627 posts
    April 8, 2008 2:10 PM BST
    I watch a lot of cop shows. TV's & TS's are the pervert bad guys or were asking to be killed because of thier mode of dress. Allways seems to be one of the two. Never a normal Tranny.
    The crimes are allways our fault.
    But also more & more the Health & Discovery channels are showing TS's in real life.
    The struggles & anguish we deal with everyday.

So some good & some bad.
    • 871 posts
    April 8, 2008 6:45 PM BST
    i think the bounty adverts are entertaining and good - i think it is good exposure to the general public. the general public do need more positive exposure to normal everyday TSs so they can get used to the idea that it is quite a normal, as in sustainable, lifestyle, everything considered.

once again, its the same old story of the media giving bad light to the comunity. but unfortunately for us, it sells. i am sure a program that included a TS doing everyday stuff would be rather dull. on the other hand i think it would be a great idea for a program like casualty or police program to have a TS as a fringe character performing tasks but never being included in the story. that would be supurb exposure.

i briefly saw a program, think it was called sexcetera, there were a couple of female looking people (dare i say girls) dressed in BDSM and called themselves TS. they were quite outrageous and attention seeking. for me, a display completely awry from typical TS traits. i guess they were drag queens posing as TS and the media in their ignorance lapped it up.

• 2573 posts
    April 9, 2008 7:57 PM BST
    I've complained a number of times about FOX NEWS Network's insensitive reporting of news about TG/TS/IS people. I've all but abandoned watching FOX. However, I occasionally catch it during the hours when it's that or infomercials.

I am pleased to say that Bill O'Reily, a political commentator, did a report about the FtM who is pregnant and was respectful and used the right pronouns during that segment. While I am not in agreement with much of his political agenda, I respect him for his humanity and professionalism in reporting this story.