SUPPORT THE TRANNY TRIBUNE!

• 2463 posts
    April 26, 2008 6:56 PM BST
    Hi girls,
    We have a wonderful publication here on TW called the "Tranny Tribune," for which I am proud to have contributed. While I have not written much lately because of my insane work schedule, I am starting to write for it again.

So should you. Don't be afraid to dust off your word skills and submit articles of interest, importance, or even silly. We've had many prominent people featured, interviewed, or just plain involved with this great source, so please get more involved.

We have something right in front of our faces. Let's work with it.

Mere
    • 734 posts
    April 28, 2008 1:43 AM BST
    Hi Meredith,

This would really depend on what the Tranny Tribune wants to be. The Tribune I get to see is very small, maybe - 'though I'd be surprised! - as a full member you have access to a much larger publication???

The Tribune I get is, to be honest, smaller than my local village newsletter. If it has aspirations to grow then, yes, I would be interested in assisting in any way I could.

As it stands, interviews aside, I've not seen anything I would regard as 'article length'. I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to the wonders of the world wide web, but perhaps it is small due to online size constrictions? Perhaps, to grow, it may need to consider being a sister site of TW?

There is absolutely no way that I could meet the stipulation of 500 - 700 words for an article. That is so incredibly tight as to be impossible for a writer to write to. 2-3,000 words would be a little gentler! Thats not to say people can't write 5-700 word pieces but by its very nature they can only contain the most basic of detail. [I would, personally, consider 700 words or less to be filler].

What I am certainly not saying [yeesh!] is that the tribune is so small I would'nt consider writing for it, just that the editorial request of article size is not practical for a writer to adhere to. [And the editor may not like my submissions anyway ]

Much love

Rae xx

[NB: by way of illustration, the above post is just over 250 words - half the minimum required for an article and more than a third of the maximum!]

• 259 posts
    April 28, 2008 3:32 AM BST
    I will write something short and sweet. Sounds fun. I can use my skills gained from writing class at school. Those ten page essays are definately NOT for me, even though I know many more are in my future. LOL.
    • 2463 posts
    April 28, 2008 3:38 AM BST
    Rae, let's look at your logic for a moment..........

Maybe if more people contributed we could expand upon our readership.

I am also a professional writer. Anyone who writes also knows how to negotiate with the publisher. We also don't get offended by the word count. Then again, being a writer does not mean you have to write EVERYTHING. Many of my encyclopedia pieces are as little as 500 words.

If you are unable to meet a simple word count than forget it. I am so sorry to ask a writer of your stature to contibute. But any writer worth her weight in gold knows how to be concise yet complete.
    • 2463 posts
    April 28, 2008 6:15 AM BST
    I was trying to ignore you.

I do write for the Tribune. Any writer worth her weight in gold writes for the passion, not the word count.

If you hate the Tribune, and us, why do you stay around?

You are so ignorant. I have written a lot of the Tribune.

Please leave.
    • 112 posts
    April 28, 2008 10:07 AM BST
    The version of the tribune i recieve is big enough to read. I know I'm not a mod in this forum but who changed the title from "Support tranny tribune" to "Why support the tranny tribune" I'm only asking please dont bite my head off.
    • 112 posts
    April 28, 2008 10:51 AM BST
    Cheers Carren, just wondered cos I've never seen it done before.
  • a a
    • 96 posts
    April 28, 2008 11:00 AM BST
    Hi everyone,I have just read this forum thread from start to finish and i am appalled at the aggressive nature it has taken!!! In Meredith`s defence i think all she was trying to do was increase people`s awareness of the tribune and invite and encourage people to participate if they so wished.If you don`t want to participate, fine ,then don`t!! But there is no need for all this negativity. This is just a general observation so please don`t take it personal.

Hugs and kisses Michellexxxxx
    • 171 posts
    April 28, 2008 12:08 PM BST
    May I also add an echo to Michelle's comment.
    It's too easy to offer criticism, and ultimately self-defeating.
    I actually try and limit the amount of time I spend upon TWeb, because it's addictive and can become all-consuming. So a small, engaging Tribune is ideal for me. But I do often forget it's there, so thanks for the reminder.
    Meredith - I'll try and think of an article in the near future..
    Rachel
    • 2127 posts
    April 28, 2008 12:11 PM BST
    Agreed! There is no need for aggression. Please let's keep this friendly.

Back on the subject of The Tranny Tribune, I think we all need to understand what it is because some of you are talking like it's some kind of glossy that just doesn't make it in the magazine world.

Well, that's because it’s not a magazine and never has been. It is just supposed to be a little email newsletter. I write and put most of it together on my own which may account for it being a bit on the small side. I also rely on contributions from our members, to whom I am most grateful.

It's far from perfect and I am aware of that. I would love to make it into a bigger issue ('scuse the pun) but this is the best I can do right now, with the limited time and resources I have available.

The word count thing is actually no longer applicable. The reason we had that was to keep file sizes small at the time when an individual copy of The Trib was emailed to each member.

However, the Hotmails and Yahoos of this world have put paid to that method of delivery so now we publish it here on the site and just send out a notification to tell people it's here.

That means that there is no longer any upper limit (within reason) on the size of our articles.

I used to work in news at one time, for a whole decade in fact, so I would like to think that I am not totally green.

In an ideal world we would have a couple of editors, several regular writers, and importantly - an ad sales department. As Anne Selene correctly says, "...a good Tranny Tribune would need money too and if TW does not have money then Tranny Tribune is also without money...".

If you all really want to have a go at making the Tranny Tribune into something bigger and better, please let me know if you'd like to be involved, as a writer, an editor (finding and chasing stories), an ad sales person (with a commission for every sale) or as a benefactor.

Please drop me a line at [email protected].

Thanks and huggies,

Katie x
    • 2627 posts
    April 28, 2008 12:29 PM BST
    Katie & I posted at about the same time.
    So I'll delete what I wrote as it was not nice.
    But please talk things out before getting so negative.
    • 259 posts
    April 28, 2008 4:12 PM BST
    Being so busy, I know for me, I do not have time to read a lot outside of my homework. I appreciate any reading that is positive and to the point.

The Tranny Tribune is easy to read and gives me quick and convenient information. It is also written from the heart not the pocket book.

Just because what I write is not as reknowned as a popular author does not make my writing any less substantial or beneficial to my readers. It is only less known.

Writing for money is ok if that is your job but when I write with passion, from the heart, readers can see that. The more well known writers and celebs that contribute to TW do it for charitable reasons. Of course they can not do everything for no pay but some things in life just require us to be good, moral, ethical creatures.

I do feel bad I have not been able to do more for TW lately because of school but I can come up with an idea or two for the Tribune. It is something we all can do.

• 2627 posts
    April 28, 2008 6:38 PM BST
    Anne if you go to the Tranny Tribune scroll to the bottom of the page you'll find a link for past issues.
    Every issue Katie put out is there.
    • 126 posts
    April 28, 2008 7:02 PM BST
    Mandy rushes off to read the Tranny Tribune
  • April 28, 2008 7:31 PM BST
    Hi!

I read the tribune, at least sometimes and I think all of you who take part in making it are doing a great job.
    But I'm not a huge fan of newsletters being sent to me automatically and I'd very much like to be able to opt-out of getting it to my e-mail address, is that possible? I can't find a way.
    I'd really like the message that there is a new issue to my profile inbox instead. This really isn't something against the TW newsletter in particular, I'm just not a big fan of automated things getting sent to my e-mail account.

Even so, I DO support the newsletter, yay!
    • 2127 posts
    April 28, 2008 8:40 PM BST
    And if I may reply to Swedish, the Trib is not sent to you by email anymore. We stopped that over a year ago because so many were being confused with spam by Hotmail and Yahoo and were either put into the recipient's junk email box or not delivered at all.

The Tranny Tribune is currently published here on the Trannyweb site. We let you know when it is published each month but you now have to make a conscious effort to come here to see it.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

And yes, our spuling in secund too nun!

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 112 posts
    April 28, 2008 8:44 PM BST
    I love reading tranny tribune, I wasn't bein aggresive earlier, honest.
    • 734 posts
    April 28, 2008 9:30 PM BST
    Hi all,

Phew! What another fine mess I’ve gotten into!

I’ve re-read my original post and still see it as the innocent enquiry it was, certainly nothing denigrating the Tribune! If people, however, have misinterpreted the post that way then I’m always happy to apologise.

I used the analogy of my village newsletter, not as an insult but as illustration of where the Tribune might be at the moment and where perhaps it wants to be in the future. Katie very kindly answered that point in the thread, confirming it was started, and is still at the moment, more of a newsletter. No problem with that. [Maryanne, I loved your opening comment to me and the illustration of global village].

I queried that perhaps the article size was due to electronic constraint. Katie kindly confirmed my supposition.

I think I might have got more things right than wrong!

Obviously everyone writes in their own way, to their own style and to the length that both suits the work and the comfort of the author. No problems there.

As for other comments, I try hard not demean, insult or otherwise denigrate any person. Nor would I wish to reply to ill-informed knee-jerk vitriol. I’m just not that kinda girl.

I would like to answer Katie’s call and help in any way I’m able. But if I do write anything for the Tribune and if it is published, you can bet your bottom dollar, pound, euro or drachma it’ll be under a nomme de plume!

Much love

Rae xx
    • 734 posts
    April 28, 2008 9:35 PM BST
    If its any help, I have a heart of gold...

... its in the fridge next to the severed head!

Much love

Rae xx
    • 2068 posts
    April 28, 2008 10:26 PM BST
    Having written for the tribune myself on a few occasions, i was amazed to see that a certain member has been saying why support the tribune?. I would have thought that was blatantly obvious to anyone here. The Trib is a source of useful info & a good read too & in my honest opinion its WELL worth supporting.And by the way, i'm backing what Mere has written 100%

I would say to this " member"....instead of running the tribune down, why dont YOU contribute an article or is that beoynd your intelligence. I guess what i'm saying is put up or SHUT up.

Lol xxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 364 posts
    April 29, 2008 6:55 AM BST
    The cats are at it again. It gets boring.
  • May 5, 2008 5:04 PM BST
    Quote:
    "the Trib is not sent to you by email anymore"

Sorry, I suppose I didn't mean the entire tribune, just the automated e-mail. I do read the tribune at times but I'm not fond of having A NEW MESSAGE FROM TRANNYWEB pop up on my work computer every now and then. I changed my registered e-mail account to one that doesn't work instead, not a biggie

• 2127 posts
    May 5, 2008 5:44 PM BST
    All online communities need to be able to communicate with their members. The answer is to use an email address that will not get you into trouble.

However, many of the free email providers like MSN Hotmail, Yahoo and Gmail are notorious for censoring your mail and very often, legitimate mail will either be directed into your junk mail folder or simply deleted before you have the chance to decide whether it's spam or not.

So, consider using an email account that won't get you into trouble at work and which won't censor your mail.

Hugs,

Katie x