New Trannyweb Features

• June 6, 2008 12:51 AM BST
    HI All,
    I'm on a MAC w Safari and have not experienced any problems. Must just be a lucky gal I guess.

Hugz,
    MichelleLynn
    • 2127 posts
    May 12, 2008 2:08 PM BST
    Hooray! It's software upgrade time again. Eric, our programmer will shortly be commencing our upgrade which will bring us several new features, including...

* Video! Yes, will now be able to include videos in your profile and upload videos to your picture galleries. You can also put YouTube videos in your profile.

* Now you can choose the background that goes behind your profile page, a bit like MySpace.

* A brand new and sophisticated commenting system will allow you to post comments like those you already post in people's blogs but now you'll also now be able to comment on photos and videos in their galleries, Tranny Tribune articles and much more. On the downside, this new commenting system is incompatible with the previous incarnation so all comments posted in the blogs up to now will disappear.

* Members will now be able to "tag" content in the blogs, forums, emails, photos, classified ads, the Tranny Tribune, photo albums, and many other areas. These keyword/phrase tags will be clickable to search for other content sharing the same tag. Tags applied to private content will only show in searches performed by the person who added the tag.

* Our new "User Status" feature is similar to Facebook's status feature and allows members to post a short phrase in their profile describing their current status. Examples include "is asleep", "is happy", "is on vacation".

* Blogger will now have access to their own statistics, showing how many people have viewed and commented on their blogs in the last week and month.

In addition there will be many improvements to our existing features, for example, adding other member's blogs to your blog roll used to be a cumbersome procedure. Now you'll be able to do it with a simple click of your mouse.

Also when someone adds you to their list of friends, you will be asked to approve or decline their request instead of simply being added whether you want to be or not.

Messages sent from your TrannyMessenger will no longer be limited to 256 characters (although messages sent from profile pages will still be limited). You will also now be able to send one message to multiple friends in one go.

Although it's great to have all this new functionality, when the software is installed this week, there are bound to be bugs and problems which will need to be ironed out so if you discover anything that doesn't work right, or if you get any error messages, please let me know and I'll get Eric to fix them.

Thanks and huggies,

Katie x
    • 2463 posts
    May 12, 2008 3:16 PM BST
    Sounds great, Katie. But where is the automatic coffee maker?

Mere
    • 2127 posts
    May 12, 2008 3:40 PM BST
    She's here...

• 2017 posts
    May 12, 2008 8:32 PM BST
    I'm impressed Katie, that's a lot of upgrades in one go but don't worry, we'll be patient if things don't quite work as smoothly as planned, I know it will get there.

Now I just have to find some evil ways to use all of those features..........

Nikki
    • 1912 posts
    May 12, 2008 9:39 PM BST
    That is so cool Katie but please promise me you won't let Maryanne help with the upgrade, we can't risk short circuiting the internet.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1083 posts
    May 12, 2008 10:07 PM BST
    Katie--

These are all very cool features. Very cool, indeed.

**sighs**

Now, I'm going to have to learn to use them all in the next hour or so.

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina Sakura
    "Almost-Angel, Girl Genius, and Ultra-Flirt"
    • 871 posts
    May 12, 2008 10:13 PM BST
    i totally agree marsha - dont want my web com catching fire! hehe
    • 2068 posts
    May 12, 2008 11:07 PM BST
    Trust YOU to think of coffee mere.....lol

lol xxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 2627 posts
    May 13, 2008 12:00 AM BST

Have another cup!!
    • 364 posts
    May 13, 2008 7:08 AM BST
    And I understood the British drank tea LOL Have things changed that much since I left?
    • 1980 posts
    May 13, 2008 3:15 PM BST
    Hi Katie-

Thanks so much for all you do for us here on TW.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 871 posts
    May 13, 2008 5:34 PM BST
    sounds fab katie. a couple of points for consideration...

where is says persuasion on the profile can be misleading. ie the difference between what you identify as and what you are looking for.

maybe it can be broken down into two parts... identity. ie male, female, M2F CD, M2F TV and so on

and then a checkbox selection... looking for... friends for chat, looking to meet, male, female and so on

this confusion has come to light with a small number of new members

cya
    xxx
    • 2127 posts
    May 13, 2008 10:17 PM BST
    Hi Penny, unfortunately we are a bit stuck with the persuasions we have because if we change them, they new options will only apply to new members registering for the first time.

That's because the existing membership has already chosen their persuasion. We couldn't expect them all to come back and choose again so we'd end up with two different systems.

Also, no matter what list of options we come up with, some people will always say that our list is wrong and that it should be done another way.

This is an age old argument that nobody can win, so I'm afraid that we will just have to live with the option we have now.

Also, the reason we have never asked people to say what they are looking for here is because that would make us look like a dating site and we're not one.

And large numbers of our new members do not actually know what they are looking for when they arrive and those who think they do, often change their minds when they've been with us for a little while.

Thanks for the idea though. I hope you won't think that I've deliberately shot it down in flames. I have taken note and realise that there is a problem here. We just need to think of a way around it.

Please keep your ideas coming. They are much appreciated.

Huggies,

Katie x
    • 871 posts
    May 14, 2008 3:43 AM BST
    oh, you havnt shot me down in flames. it just became clear to me something isnt quite right with it and wanted to bring it to your attension.

I believe most people write in their profile description what they are looking for anyway. maybe just rewording the question for persuasion might help people make a better choice. more ideas lol.

penny
    xxx
    • 2127 posts
    May 14, 2008 5:28 PM BST
    Thanks for that. I've tried uploading profile pictures and icons but I can't make it go wrong.

I'll talk to Eric about the forum stuff.

If you see any more bugs, please let me know and I'll add them to my growing list.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 734 posts
    May 21, 2008 12:37 AM BST
    Hi Katie,
    This may be quite inconsequential or just a passing glitch.
    Reading some blogs tonight, I notice that they all show comments at 0 whether or not comments are there. [Including comments from tonight].
    I do recall you saying somewhere that all previous blog comments will disappear and may be this is just a transitional thing...
    Much love
    Rae xx
    • 2127 posts
    May 21, 2008 11:42 AM BST
    Hi Rae, yes, this is a transitional thing. The new comments system is totally separate and completely incompatible with the old one.

The new system will eventually allow you to comment on other items around the site as well as blogs, like photos in the galleries, videos and suchlike.

However, it will take some time to get all this new stuff into place as I have so many other jobs to do and not enough hours in the day.

For example, my little book is supposed to be published at the end of this month and I haven't finished writing it yet!

Hugs,

Katie x

• 734 posts
    May 22, 2008 9:52 PM BST
    Hi Katie,
    Again, this is probably a transitional thing...
    I read a blog or two tonight and wanted to leave a comment. However, I commented ok and previewed what I'd written. The form advised me I was in preview mode and to press submit to post. Only I could'nt see any button to post with! Of course, it could just be my ancient eyes...
    Much love
    Rae xx
    • 2127 posts
    May 23, 2008 3:14 PM BST
    Yes Rae, you are quite right again. This is just another little bug. I will draw Eric's attention to it.

If you or anyone else should find any more bugs, please let me know by posting them here.

Many thanks,

Katie x
    • 112 posts
    May 23, 2008 6:42 PM BST
    Don't know if its anything to do with the site being done up but on the 8th may and yesterday I had to get a new pasword I tried the one I was emailed yesterday and it didnt work. I put it into safari and it worked.

Don't know why its doing it.
    • 2127 posts
    May 23, 2008 10:10 PM BST
    Hi Donna, that sounds more like a problem on your own computer. I think you may have a corrupt cookie. Please take a look at this Trannyweb FAQ...

http://gendersociety.com/FAQ/[...]p?id=72

Hope that helps.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 734 posts
    May 31, 2008 12:48 AM BST
    Hi Katie, hope you're well and have survived the rigours of software update...

Just a little thing of minor importance.

When posting in a forum, the post picks up your screen name. However, posting in blogs seems to pick up your username.

No problem when, like mine, they are very similar - but intriguing when they differ....

Probably one of those things that if it can be fixed in 5 minutes is worth it, but any longer, well, we can recognise a picture!

Much love

Rae xxx
    • 1912 posts
    May 31, 2008 9:13 PM BST
    Your hired Rae, how you figure all this out who knows but you got the job.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2127 posts
    May 31, 2008 10:02 PM BST
    Hi Rae, things like this do happen when we have an upgrade. Sometimes it takes weeks to work all the bugs out of the system.

I have looked at the blogs and I can't see any user names at all so I'm obviously looking at the wrong pages.

Could you give me an example of one? Please send me the URL of a page or pages that show user names rather than real names and I'll get it fixed.

Thanks and hugs,

Katie x
    • 734 posts
    June 1, 2008 4:03 AM BST
    Hi Katie,

You gave me a slight scare there! I thought maybe things have automatically updated and I'll be looking like I'm chatting from my derriere - as usual!

However, as fortune would have it, I can give you an example from the first blog I read tonight.

Anne-Marie Trindall is our good friends name in the forums but in the reply to Karen's Thinking Out Loud blog her comment comes under the name Matto. A quick peek at her profile confirms the former as her screen name and the latter as her username.

Whereas in the forum I'm Rae Kelcou but on blog comments raekelcou.

Ah, Marsha, thanks for the comment but sadly it was just me wondering why peoples names had changed that got me curious!

Katie, I'll send you the url if it'll help. I'm sure its just a transitional thing and I hope you don't mind me pointing them out if I see them...

Much love

Rae xx
    • 734 posts
    June 1, 2008 4:13 AM BST
    Actually, Katie, I don't need to send any url's.

I had a quick flick through the latest updated blogs and, where comments are left, they all featured the user name not the screen name, so I suspect every comment left on every blog is probably the same.

Much love

Rae xx
    • 734 posts
    June 1, 2008 4:55 AM BST
    Ok, before anyone picks me up on my slight faux pas of not knowing who I am!

In the forums I'm Rae Kelcou and in the blog comments I'm raeuk not raekelcou as I'd previously stated.

In mitigation I'd like to say that I've not long been home from a really great party at my friends house. [Thats my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!]

[I would be tempted to blog it but that new addition of a 'blog visitor count' put me off - I don't want to know how many people ARE'NT visiting my blog...lol]

Much love

Rae xx
    • 2127 posts
    June 1, 2008 1:20 PM BST
    Hi Rae, I see what you mean now about user names being displayed and I've fixed it. Do let me know if you see anything else like that.

As for the blog visitor count, loads of people have been asking for statistics like that for ages. I didn't think that stats would actually put anyone off blogging.

Personally, I like to know how many people have viewed my blog but what does everyone else think? Should the stats stay or should they go?

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 1912 posts
    June 1, 2008 1:50 PM BST
    Katie, I made the mistake of going blonde for awhile and it seems to have had an effect on my brain, so can you help me out and tell me where i can find the blog counts you are talking about. On my blog page there is something on the left side that says "forumid required", listed twice.
    Thanks,
    Marsha
    • 2127 posts
    June 1, 2008 2:26 PM BST
    Hi Marsha,

Sorry about the forumid thingy. It's gone now.

If you scroll down to the bottom of your blog page you will see your stats.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 734 posts
    June 1, 2008 9:35 PM BST
    Hi Katie, I was only being facetious about the stats! I'm not fussed either way really.

Much love

Rae xx
    • 171 posts
    June 3, 2008 9:04 PM BST
    Hi Katie.
    A couple of queries, I don't think that they're down to me...
    Firstly, when I left a comment upon a blog I decided to click a post type (shown as new Emoticon symbol) but this was displayed as something entirely different..
    Secondly, When I attempt to write a blog, I am unable to see the text - it appears white against the white background.
    I raise these as information, not as a complaint.
    Thanks
    Rachel x

• 2127 posts
    June 4, 2008 11:55 AM BST
    Hi Rachel, could you let me know which Post Type image appears incorrectly and I'll have it put right?

When you start to write a new blog entry, the font colour should be black by default. However, you can change it to whatever colour you like by clicking the T button. A little popup window will appear containing all the available font colours.

Hope that helps.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 171 posts
    June 4, 2008 1:07 PM BST
    Thanks Katie.
    I think that the Post Type was the smiling face with sunglasses (!). It displayed as the rotating 'cool' sign.
    As for the font colour, the problem stems from the fact that I don't get the options bar when I open Tranny Blogger. This could be my fault? I only see the options bar if I edit a posting, after it has been saved.
    Rachel
    • 2127 posts
    June 4, 2008 1:30 PM BST
    Sounds like you might be in Text Mode. If that is the case then the options panel would be nearly all greyed out, except for one button with < > on it.

If you click that button, it will return you to WYSIWYG mode and the options panel will work again.

I just tried posting a blog comment with the smiley wearing sunglasses and that's exactly what was displayed. Are you sure you didn't use a different emoticon?

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2573 posts
    June 4, 2008 1:56 PM BST
    Katie, the blog visitor counting section at the bottom is really interesting. I had no idea how many people read without making a comment. Makes one think. I've always assumed a few friends were the only ones who read my blog, though my posts are often not the kind that would provoke a comment and I really do them to read again later and to think out ideas. Thanks for adding this feature. I really think it's a good idea.
    • 171 posts
    June 4, 2008 3:06 PM BST
    Katie
    Unknown, frustrating and troublesome. Does that sound like me or my computer? Everything I try produces wholly inconsistent results, so please ignore my questions and deal with other more pressing issues. Think I'll just chuck this Mac out of the window behind me - might be away for a bit...!
    Rachel
    • 2127 posts
    June 4, 2008 3:13 PM BST
    Ah, it's a Mac. That explains a lot. You are therefore probably using a browser called Safari which we've had nothing but trouble with.

Although we are not MS fans, the whole site has been designed with Internet Explorer in mind because it is still by far the most widely used browser.

Unfortunately, Safari is not yet completely IE compliant so there will be some items that won't work here.

And it's not just us. Using Safari, you'll probably have all kinds of problems right around the web.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2573 posts
    June 5, 2008 4:48 AM BST
    Perhaps they should have named the browser WALKABOUT instead of SAFARI. J/K, I use Firefox2 and run into some problems as well with displays.
    • 2127 posts
    June 5, 2008 9:48 AM BST
    Firefox should be okay for the most part. It doesn't yet support Flash Transparency which does cause a problem with our drop down menus but I'm hoping we can change them soon, for CSS based menus.

Otherwise, if you find any problems on our pages when using Firefox, please let me know specifically which page and what the problem is and I'll get it fixed.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2573 posts
    June 5, 2008 10:51 AM BST
    Sorry, Katie, I didn't mean at TW, but on the web in general, and not a lot. You are right about the drop down menus but when that happens I open IE and get past the problem. Actually not having TW problems at present and refreshing usually does it.
    • 315 posts
    June 6, 2008 5:30 PM BST

Hi Katie,

I know I mentioned it to you before, in my eMail to you about the up-grades, but I now think I've found out what's happening with the "odd" changes in the virgin/just a girl/lady in waiting/etc. designations sometimes not matching the Post count.

As, at present, say my count is about 195 or so, yet I'm showing a designation as "just a girl", I think I've worked out where the problem lies.

Until earlier today, I was showing the "proper" designation ......... I think it's Baroness (but not sure), then I went and left a comment in a Blog.
    As the blogs are using a "new counter" my post-count there is 2 or 3, so I'm shown there as "just a girl".
    However, that then feeds across to the Forums, and then shows as "just a girl" with a post count of 195,
    But, and this will probably be the reason that it hasn't really been noticed, I expect that, when I post this Forum Posting, the counter here, will change the listing back to the "correct" designation, and all will appear ok until the next Blog Comment I make, and things will get out of sequence again!
    I've noticed this with some of the other girls "designations" as well, so it's not only me that this is happening with.
    I know it's a very minor glitch, but, you did say to let you know about anything we found that wasn't working smoothly.

Hope this helps you (and Eric).
    Keep up the great work!

Hugs,
    Angela. xx.
    • 315 posts
    June 6, 2008 5:33 PM BST

Katie................

I was right!
    As you can see, I'm now back to "Duchess"!

Hugs,
    Angela. xx.
    • 734 posts
    June 7, 2008 12:26 AM BST
    Aw, shucks hunni, you've ALWAYS been a Duchessxxx
    • 2127 posts
    June 7, 2008 2:25 AM BST
    Hi Angela,

The blogs don't count towards your total. The number you see is the number of post you have posted in the forums only. The blogs are a separate entity.

Also, you should read this FAQ...

http://gendersociety.com/FAQ/[...]p?id=86

... I know it's supposed to be about photos but it applies to text and forum post number as well.

It's possible that you might be seeing old pages from the cache on your hard disk rather than up to date pages from our server. It's worth checking out anyway.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 315 posts
    June 9, 2008 2:09 PM BST

Hi Katie,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner ......... been working all weekend, so have just got back to TW now.

Yes, I understand your point, but, I already knew that the Blog comments count was totally separate to the Forums count, and were not added together.

The problem isn't that.
    It's that the "designation" of, say, Duchess, (count say 195)in Forums, is changed to, say, Just a Girl, (count still 195) in Forums, after you've posted a comment in Blogs.
    But, immediately after you next post in the Forums, your "designation" returns to, say, Duchess (with the count now at 196 [the previous 195 + 1 for the Forum posting you've just made]).

I'm just trying to explain, (probably not very well, mind you!), that the counters run problem-free, but the "designation" that the number relates to, is, temporarily, out of balance, until your next posting.

It's not a case of seeing "old pages" from the Cache, as, apart from that "imbalance" of Posts total/Designation, everything else is perfectly "up to date".

I'm not "techically very savy" re: computers, so my explanation my well not be the clearest, but, I hope, you understand my attempt well enough to work out what I'm trying to say!!! lol.
    As I said, it's only a "minor" glitch, and not one to loose any sleep over, but, I just thought I should let you know.

Hugs,
    Angela. xxx.
    • 2127 posts
    June 9, 2008 3:07 PM BST
    Hi Angela,

I just tried to duplicate this error but I couldn't make it happen. If it happens to you again, could you let me know before you post in the forums and clear it?

Thanks and huggies,

Katie x
    • 315 posts
    June 9, 2008 4:15 PM BST

Hi Katie,

Saw your attempts going through Forums earlier.
    I'll keep an eye on it, and PM you if it shows up>

Hugs,
    Angela. xx.
    • 2627 posts
    June 9, 2008 8:51 PM BST
    Hi Katie I think this is what she's talking about.