Farewell to my friend Jim Daly

• 2463 posts
    May 16, 2008 10:58 PM BST
    At the morning's meeting they told us how our dear friend, and co-worker, Jim Daly lost his battle with cancer. Jim passed away Wednesday. Tomorrow is his wake and funeral. Jim had been on sick leave for a while and was even talking about returning to the museum

We are all so devastated. I was in such a bad state management told me I could go home. I stayed on. I needed the presence of my friends, and if I could make someone happy, then maybe I would cheer up. Being home alone would only make me feel worse.

Robyn saw me over in the corner and came to me. We held close and cried on each other's shoulder. I think I cried as much from her act of kindness as I did for my friend. While I stayed at work, my eyes were red with tears all day.

Jim was 72, a former lawyer and actor, and was known and loved by all of us. He was a great Program Interpreter, and had a razor sharp sense of humor. I could relate many stories of things he said to visitors, then turned and gave me that smile of his. He was a true original.

Goodbye, Jim. You will always be in my heart.

Mere
    • 1912 posts
    May 17, 2008 2:19 AM BST
    Lots of hugs Mere.
    Love,
    Marsha
    • 2463 posts
    May 17, 2008 6:26 PM BST
    I just got back from the wake. I met Jim's wife. What a wonderful woman she is, trying so hard to be brave. Me and Carlita should have communicated better as I could have picked her up for the wake. We might get together later. She is one special person to me. There were about 12 of us from the museum there at the wake.

The Jim I saw there was not the Jim I remember so fondly. I would have given anything to see that grin one more time. We all took turns holding each other.

When it came time to say goodbye I could not contain myself much. I even made his wife cry! She said we made it a lot easier for her.

As the Native Americans would say, it is not "goodbye." Rather, it is "until we meet again, whether in this lifetime or the next." I also have to remember the words of the Lord Krishna. The body may die but the soul does not.

Mere
    • 1083 posts
    May 19, 2008 10:39 PM BST
    Mere--

My deepest sympathy and condolences to you on this loss, hon.

Luv 'n gentle hugs,

Mina