Any Ideas, Girls?

• 2068 posts
    July 26, 2008 10:47 PM BST
    Girls, after the incident earlier this week which i blogged about.....it got me thinking. Are there any documents out there that i could carry, stating that i'm transitioning & should be able to use the ladies loos without any hassles?. There must be something like that thats out there. The GRC is out of the question until october when i'll have lived 2 full years in my new name. After what happened i NEVER want to go through that again!

Lol xxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 530 posts
    July 27, 2008 1:38 AM BST
    I got a letter from my consultant, stating exactly what you say. As yet, I've never had to produce it, but...
    • 734 posts
    July 27, 2008 2:02 AM BST
    Hey hun,

I'm afraid I'm no help in that department, but if Sue says she has a letter from her consultant, than that'd be a good start for you I suspect.

This subject does interest me though, as people with good memories of my bizarre posts will recall.

As far as I've found out, the 'public' conveniences in shops, hotels etc are on private property so its up to the individual management / owner to adjudicate and say who can or can't use which. [I think].

Personally, for a simple life, I tend to use the disabled convenience. But, in the UK, that means the shop / hotel / whatever is breaking the Disability Discrimination Act [providing a service, disabled loo, then taking it away, allowing an able body person to use it]. So you can't win!

Much love

Rae xxx

• 2017 posts
    July 27, 2008 5:28 PM BST
    Sue's idea seems sound to me Anna, although I don't know how much legal standing it actually has, although for the majority, they wouldn't know any different anyway so would let it pass I'm sure.

Going slightly off track, I recently went back to my home town after my op and see that all the public toilets are now coin operated unisex ones which is brilliant, it makes life so much simpler.

Nikki
    • 2573 posts
    July 29, 2008 4:47 AM BST
    What does the new UK law on GLBTs say about restroom use? Actually, in the US, there is no law (at least in many places) that restricts who uses what restroom and many times in my life I have used a single seat WOMEN bathroom when the MEN was out of order or busy....and I don't mean when I was en femme....or even aware there was a Wendy.

What does the law say about assault/battery. If you were thrown to the ground in front of police you may have a case with witnesses. However, if they were sympathetic they would have said something to the security person at the time.

Get some legal advice before leaping in A-M. You have had enough disaster this month. It should not have happened, and you are courageous, but you sound like you have had enough for the moment.
  • July 30, 2008 9:27 AM BST
    I know some girls carry a "get out of jail free" letter from their psychiatrist. I've never had one of these so not sure how they help. When I want a wee, I just go to the ladies and wee. I've been in some very long queues at times and not had any problems.
    I now have a Gender Recognition Certificate giving me full recognition as a female but I will not carry it because I don't want to carry an A4 sheet of paper to prove where I can wee. My birth certificate is also A4 sized and does not get carried. Genetic girls do not carry documents to show where they can wee so why should we?
    I suppose I now have the easy way out - I flash my new vagina