Your feedback needed

• 1195 posts
    August 8, 2008 12:11 AM BST
    Golly gee Katie
    I've been a member for so long, I had to think why I joined to begin with.
    I found like minded people. They're willing to speak out and are understanding of different views.
    When you started the Full Members I was glad to help keep this "party" going.
    You've accomplished so much and I'm very grateful Trannyweb is here.
    As to what changes could be made - I'll leave that up to the techies. I'm very comfortable with TW.
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 2127 posts
    August 7, 2008 12:54 PM BST
    Trannyweb is about to have a bit of a redesign and I need your help with it. The site has pretty much evolved over the years and was never really planned out, so we're taking this opportunity to do just that and make sure that it’s easy to navigate in future and easy on the eye too.

First though, I need you to give me some feedback so that we can make TW even better for you.

Please can you tell me why you joined Trannyweb in the first place and what you expected to find here.

What were you looking for and did you find it?

Also, what do you think is missing from Trannyweb?

Thanks and hugs,

Katie x
    • 1083 posts
    August 7, 2008 3:54 PM BST
    Katie, sugah--

First off, best of luck on the rework. Been there, done that, and I didn't have as many pages, links, and features when I did it--and it was a big enough pain at the time! You have all my well wishes and warm fuzzy thoughts, hon.

Now--I joined Trannyweb in 2001 so I could find others like me. I joined to find answers to questions I couldn't quite form. I joined to discuss our issues, dreams, hopes and fears.

I joined to have a sense of belonging. I have found all that and much more, dear.

Not only is this a vibrant, positive community...it's the best website for those of us who are serious about who we are and why we do what we do.

The hard question--what's missing. Geez...we have TWTV, webpage availability, e-mail addresses, games, cards, profiles, blogs, a store, clubs, a monthly magazine...all in one trannysafe place. What we need are more people, and more paid members.

Outside of that...I'd like to see what everyone comes up with--'cause it might trigger something I'd like to see.

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
    • 364 posts
    August 8, 2008 12:26 AM BST
    Katie

One thing I find annoying is when I click on recent posts and find they are for moderators only. Can something be added like "for mods only"
    • 1912 posts
    August 8, 2008 2:17 PM BST
    Katie, the reason I joined TW in the first place was prior to coming to TW I had become an emotional wreck and felt so all alone with nobody to talk to for support. I had visited TW forums in the past but was afraid to become a member because I was still hiding this from my family. I new I needed to talk with someone so I eventually became a member just so I could chat. At that time I really wasn't to familiar with different chat sites, but based on the TW mainpage description I felt it was a site I could get real support.

I consider TW to be a life saver for me. Many of the gals here may still remember when I showed up for the first time. I was an awful emotional wreck. Yes I did find what I was looking for. A number of gals I can never thank enough approached me and gave me the support I needed. Nearly two years later I can say, look at me now.

For me the most important features of TW are the interactive features like chat, forums and blogs. So quick and easy access to those is most important. I think a clickable button on the homepages would be far better than the menu listings at the top. Also maybe an up to date how many people in the chatroom count right on the BIG chat button.

I wish you the best with the redesign.
    Hugs,
    Marsha

• 2127 posts
    August 8, 2008 2:32 PM BST
    Thanks to those who have already replied. This is really useful stuff.

Joanne, I'll ask Eric the programmer if it might be possible for posts in the mods forum to be seen only by mods but I would guess that he'll want to charge us at least $90 for that so it may take some time. Anyway, it's on the list with everything else he needs to do.

Also, this is a bit off topic, so let me ask the original questions again...

1.) Why did you join Trannyweb in the first place?

2.) What you expected to find here?

3.) What were you looking?

4.) Did you find it here?

5.) What do you think is missing from Trannyweb (I'm thinking of general features here, rather than little tweaks)?

Thanks and hugs,

Katie x
    • 1912 posts
    August 8, 2008 5:10 PM BST
    Ok, I think my first post answered 1-4.
    #5 What is missing? What's missing is ease of use. I'm not sure but it sounds to me like you think you need to keep adding "stuff". Why? Simplify it so people are not overwhelmed and confused by it all.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
  • August 8, 2008 6:19 PM BST
    I found the site my "accident" as far as I can remember and joined because it was necessary in order to access the chat (I think). We already had fantastic sites in Swedish but I wanted something international too.

Information and people in the same situation.

3.) What were you looking for?
    I was looking for people in the same situation who were willing to talk about transsexualism, voice training, real life issues, to learn from others how to handle things like social situations, work related issues and things like that. Basically, I was looking for more information to help in everyday life.

Yes and no.
    Yes - because I spoken to a few fantastic individuals over the years and we have talked about everything mentioned in question 3. It has been great to learn about how others handle their transsexualism and how they see things.

No - because there are also a lot of people who come here in order to escape reality rather than discuss it. There are also those who "live online" and where this is a way to live out a fantasy. Nothing wrong with that, just not my cup of tea =).

I come here to discuss TS related things, not rock music or chatting about weather. If I wanted that, I'd join Facebook =)

5.) What do you think is missing from Trannyweb (I'm thinking of general features here, rather than little tweaks)?
    I think I agree with Marsha on this one, more "stuff" isn't always better. Honestly this site already have most things that I can think of. A great chat room and forums. The blog thing is nice too, even though I don't have my own. Most of the other stuff is probably good for something but things like advanced profiles, galleries, video and so on aren't really make or break for me.

The forums are great but could use a little love, mostly small things like the one Joanne wrote about. Perhaps change them to one of the more standard ones that are out there? I'd guess they are cheaper to maintain at least.

The chat is great. When I first joined, the chat was why I stayed.
    There have been a few not so good remakes of the chat until the current chat, which is fantastic, came around. I know that more users is usually a good thing to most sites but the chat is good right now because there are not too many people there. If there are more than 10 people in the room, it is impossible to keep a conversation going so I start PM'ing someone I know and eventually someone else gets mad at all the PM'ing going around =).
    I know sites who have like 20-50 chatters in a room and if that would happen here too, I think I would give up on the chat to be honest.
    I think this site needs good members and good content, not just more members and more content.
    • 2017 posts
    August 8, 2008 8:53 PM BST
    When did I join? Actually I still think I'm a junior member really, I think it was 2006.

Basically to be able to talk to others in a similar situation to myself and find information that would help to make me pass more convincingly in the public eye. TW stood out from the others simply because it was not about dating and sex but was simply a bunch of people getting together for mutual support.

Other TG girls and lots of information and chit chat, which I did. What I wasn't ready for were the TA's, which threw me at first, and the 'high and mighty' attitude of some of the girls. Fortunately, I can count them on one hand and they don't tend to stay for long.

Information and people to talk to so I didn't feel so damned crazy inside. It was such a relief to be able to converse with other girls like myself.

Pretty much. I have some very good freinds here and was honoured to be able to become more involved in the site as a mod and chat hostess.
    I also found some things/types of people which were not so easy for me to deal with, at least at first, but it did show me that there are many ways our transgenderism comes through and it certainly isn't my place to judge.

I can't honestly say anything is really missing since the same basic reasons for joining, (chat/forums), are still there. Sure there are some tweaks that could be made but I'm not going into them. I'm happy with TW as it is.

I can't imagine not being a part of this site right now, it has given me so much over the last two years.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Nikki
    • 2068 posts
    August 8, 2008 10:30 PM BST
    why did i join TW.......well here goes

1) i joined TW to make new friends & support them when needed.

2) I was looking for friendship.....& DID i find it or what!. Had it not been for TW then i'd never have met my Charllet. We've been together 3 yrs now & never been happier. Thats why TW has a special place in my heart

I dont honestly think there is anything i can think of that's missing from TW.

Lol xxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 2627 posts
    August 9, 2008 1:51 AM BST
    Like the others I can't think of anything to add.

I found TW while searching google for TG info. Here were people talking about being TG. I didn't want to talk about sex & the people here didn't. They talked about everything else.
    I found more here than I ever realy hoped for.

Katie put your money in your pocket for a rainy day or treat yourself to something nice.
    • 32 posts
    August 10, 2008 1:32 AM BST
    Hi Katie,

Well I'm definitely still a newbie, but if my comments help, here goes.

I had found a number of the "usual" tranny sites and I was recommended to TW by one of the girls on there, and I can say I was and am very grateful to her.

Like many of the other respondents I was disappointed by most of the other sites out there and was looking for somewhere that wasn't all about sex and dating. I was hoping to find a place where I could get information and help about transexualism.

A place to find information and help and to meet with like-minded girls for conversation and friends. A place also to unload a lot of the angst and to talk to others who knew what I was going through. Also somewhere to be Andrea that was safe and secure. Perhaps that qualifies me as a cyber-tranny but that is only temporary.

I most assuredly did. I think that the two most important parts of the site for me are the chat rooms and the blogs. Writing my blog has been a very cathartic excercise and has helped me to sort out and organise my own thoughts on my history and experiences. In the chatrooms I have found the girls to be very welcoming and the chat to nearly always be fun and friendly. A close third would be the forums.

I think that the biggest problem I have with TW is being able to find the things I want and I feel that it could do with reorganising (just don't ask me to do it - lol). Again I would agree that I cannot really think of anything that is missing and I also don't want to see too many people in the chat rooms as I just can't follow the conversations when there are too many people in there.

On a controversial point, do basic members get too much access? I felt that I wanted to become a full member to help TW stay running, but I would have been happy continuing as a basic member as I had access to most of the site.

Hugs,
    Andrea xxx
  • August 10, 2008 2:12 AM BST
    I joined to try and find answers to why I'm the way I am
    I expected to find Links and Info on being transgender
    3.) What were you looking?
    Answers and others like me to chat to
    A mountain of info, great friends, and a answer to who I am and that Im not alone by a long shot so In all I found happyness!!!
    5.) What do you think is missing from Trannyweb
    As for improvements I agree with Joanne about the forums and with Marsha K.I.S.S. ( keep it simple sweety)
    • 2127 posts
    August 10, 2008 1:09 PM BST
    Thanks girls. In response to what you have said so far, we are now trying to address the navigation problem. This is a huge site and you're right, it's often difficult to know where everything is and how to get there.

Over the next few days we will be installing some new search software that will allow you to search the site from a simple search box.

Please keep those answers coming. What you have to say is very, very important.

Here are the questions again...

2.) What did you expect to find here?

If you haven't answered them yet, please do so right now.

Thanks and hugs,

Katie x
    • 2127 posts
    August 13, 2008 1:07 PM BST
    Come on girls, talk to me....
    • 1083 posts
    August 13, 2008 9:20 PM BST
    **wicked grin**

Katie, luv--

click here Do I hear crickets chirping softly in the background?

luv 'n hugs,

Mina
    • 2573 posts
    August 14, 2008 4:13 PM BST
    1, I joined TW to use the Chat Room.

2. I had no expectations for TW when I joined. I was trying different sites to find what I was looking for.

3. I was looking for a chat room where the discussion was on female/dressing issues for TGs, rather than sports and rebuilding truck engines among the "girls". Too many chat rooms had discussions no different than any male chat room.

4. I definitely found that at TW....and things I never thought about. Specifically emotional support and friendship. Before long, the majority of my friends were TG/TS and most of my free time was spent with them. Almost all my time outside gaming. My self-perception and understanding changed dramatically. I changed from an individual learning about brain sex/gender issues to a member of the TG/TS community as I accepted my true self and let Wendy run my life instead of Him. The personality issues, that had disrupted my life for decades, d뻳issipated as I allowed my true self to surface. Cognitive dissonance evaporated. Internal peace ensued. TW finished what my therapy had been unable to do...find the root cause of my emotional problems....a lifetime of avoiding accepting my true self. Only the acceptance, friendship and love I found here could have freed me from my fears and allowed me to accept myself; to love myself.

5. The one area I have always found TW weak in, though it is slowly improving, is permanent reference articles. Even though the information is available in archives and forum posts, I feel we lack easy references for common questions that other sites answer. I frequently refer people to www.reneereyes.com because the site does an excellent job of providing many articles on the core issues that "new" or "information-challenged" T-girls and Tranny Friends/Admirers/Family/S.O.'s frequently seek answers to.....why TS/TS/CD and how-to articles.

Now, in many cases we could simply set up links clustered by topic since many sites out there provide these materials already. However, doing our own would retain the TW philosophy and draw people to, rather than away, TW itself. The world told us we were the best this year. Let's strive to make the best better.

• August 14, 2008 6:06 PM BST
    HI Everyone,
    I didn't have any expectations of the TW experience. However, what I was looking for was guidance, friendship and a place to discuss questions that had been bubbling up inside of me, without judgement. What I found was much more. The community here is one of very caring sisters, who have helped me more times than I can count. Everything from what issues will I run into as I journey in life as Michelle thru to legal issues, practical day to day issues (hair mgmt, hormones, using restrooms in public), and spouse issues around navigating a relationship as roles change.

In all, the forums, blogs and chat sessions are great. ONe wish would be to add a cross forum search capability by keyword. (maybe already there and I don't know it).

THanks KAtie for al your hard work.

Hugz,
    MichelleLynn
    • 2573 posts
    August 15, 2008 7:10 AM BST
    Katie,

I just read the recent issue of the Tranny Tribune. Michelle Hart's column is exactly the thing I had in mind for #5 as a permanent article. It's well written and I know, from study of women's fashion and have learned from a number of TG/TS site articles on dressing that what she says is on the money. Sure, have fun in your own way, if that is your goal. If you want to be admired and accepted, however, there are rules that some, but not all, ggs learn. One should not seek to break those rules, however, until you learn and understand them as they apply to you. There is a reason why blue eyeshadow has that big caution sign. I hope to see many more such articles by Michelle. Brilliant move, Katie.
    • 2127 posts
    August 15, 2008 12:54 PM BST
    Thanks girls, this is all really useful stuff and we're acting on your advice as quickly as possible. The search system has not been installed properly yet. It needs a number of tweaks to make it work okay. In our new redesigned site, I hope it will blend in seamlessly.

I hope that people won't abandon us just because the site looks different. Up till now, the design has been mostly down to me and I'm no web designer.

This time we have a professional web designer onboard (who is also TS and thus a member of the family) .

Thanks Wendy for your input. Much appreciated. We are always trying to find good writers but it's not easy. If anyone wants to volunteer to contribute some articles, please do get in touch.

And please keep those answers to my questions coming. Your say is really important.

Here are the questions again...

2.) What did you expect to find here?

Thanx & huggies,

Katie x