Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Polly Ticks » Who's who in British politics???

Who's who in British politics???

Tags : None
  • I know I don't live there at the moment and I certainly don't have much of an interest in politics, it's all pretty much the same lies and nothing really changes with each succesive government but.......

I had no idea until today just who the PM was!! I was talking with some other ex-pats here and we couldn't remember. Wow! Did they leave their mark on British politics or what?

Then there's the opposition, who are the leaders? Everyone seems to be a nobody at the moment, where have all the strong characters, (and therefore strong leaders) gone?

For example, love her or hate her, everyone knew who Maggie was, and I don't mean just the British here.

What is happening with British politics that it attracting all the grey men and women?

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      September 9, 2008 6:13 PM BST
  • Hi Nikki,and all the other ex-pats here,
    I get Private Eye,per subscription,every two weeks and I've been known to buy The Gruaniad on occasion.......................
    As I see it,the politicos have become so faceless because they've handed most of the decision making over to various management consulting firms- it's the revolving door syndrome-who trouser ridiculous sums of money for dubious advice.........see the NHS...........here doesn't seem to be a place anymore for 'characters/personalities' like Maggie(aaaarrrrgggghhhh),that nice Mr. Tony (aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh),George Brown,Wedgie-Benn,Harold Wilson,Barbara Castle,John Major(!!),Neil Kinnock,Michael Foot,etc etc etc (yes,I'm showing my age,aren't I!)
    They may not necessarily have been particularly competent but there was a sort style or 'class'(?). The current crop are just a lot of wankers- utterly and completely incompetent ,in many cases quite simply thick and stupid,and completely subservient to the consultants and the CS mandarins.
    I admit I've been holding open the option of returning to Blighty upon retirement...................................but what I pick up on events 'back home' doesn't particularly entice me to cross the Channel.
    Quite simply,it's a real!ยง$%&/()=?

Lynn H.
    "It ain't what you do,it's the way that you do it............and that's what gets results!"
      September 9, 2008 7:34 PM BST
  • I think I'll end up there again and having seen what it's become I'm really not looking forward to it at all.

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      September 9, 2008 9:45 PM BST