It's nearly Christmas...................

• 2017 posts
    October 10, 2008 1:30 PM BST
    Yes, I know it is still some weeks away, but it’s getting closer all the time and I thought it might be nice to share what plans (if any) we have for Christmas this year.

Although Christmas is a very special time of the year, it can be very lonely too for some people who don’t have anyone around them for the holidays. I have been there, as have many TG folk, and thank goodness my situation is vastly improved.

This year we are having a big get together in the UK, there should be around 14 of us in the house and it will be great. We’ve did this a couple of years ago and it was just one big party. My brother and sister in law are simply terrific hosts and they have a large house in the country so we don’t have to worry about neighbours or anything else for that matter!

I am soooo looking forward to it.

So what are the rest of you likely to be up to?

Nikki
    • 734 posts
    October 10, 2008 8:39 PM BST
    I love Christmas, all the build-up and the wonderfull feeling that time of the year gives. Can't wait!!!!

No firm plans at the moment though but am hopefully expecting that I'll spend the day with my sister and her family. Always so nice and full of fun.

BTW, Nikki, whereabouts in the UK will you be? [Just a county would suffice, not planning on gate-crashing...!]

So much love - and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Rae xxx
    • 1195 posts
    October 10, 2008 8:41 PM BST
    Sounds wonderful Nikki. I'm jealous - just kidding. Just think you'll have snow and maybe a sleigh ride - do you ice skate?
    For me and my bride - usually have friends and relatives over for dinner and such. We have a nice fireplace and usually have a fire in it. So we try to make it a cozy and pleasent day for all of our guests. The young children make it fun too and noisey. Love their singing.
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 2017 posts
    October 10, 2008 8:51 PM BST
    As it's in the UK there probably won't be snow but we do have some good fun and games to keep everyone entertained.

Mary - yes I do ice skate as well as ski but I will be doing that in Germany in the next few months I hope! It sounds like your Christmas is going to be very lovely too.

Rae - I will be in the Cotswolds, on the border of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire. I hope you have a very nice time yourself and I couldn't agree more about the build up.

The Christmas markets will be starting at the end of next month too. I really enjoy just strolling around them and maybe having the odd glass of glüwein just to keep warm!

Nikki

• October 23, 2008 1:00 PM BST
    Well, actually I'm holding off on making plans for Christmas until I see if I get an invitation to join Nikki in theUK

I LOVE Christmas. Always have, always will. It's the one time of the year that is actually magical. It's okay to smile a little more....be a little friendlier...feel a little warmer. It's also the only week of the year that I wish for snow!
    Even when I was overseas in the military, I still had what passed for a "Christmas Tree" in my hootch (actually not much more than a big branch with M-16 rounds hanging from it...LOL)

I'm having Thanksgiving Day at my house, so for Christmas I'll be going to one of my sisters for dinner (5 sisters and 1 brother). Lots of people...too much food....great quantities of alcohol.
    But that's Plan B.....Just in case I don't go to Nikki's brother's home in the country!

But I too remember more than one Christmas spent either alone or having to work. People don't think about it, but driving around in your patrol car alone on Christmas Eve or Christmas night can be kind of lonely. You don't even want to know what it was like to an 18 year old kid away from home fighting a war at that time of year.

Isn't it funny.....No matter when you think of or speak of Christmas...whether in October or July....it gives you that warm feeling. Thanks Nikki