The Term ''Tranny''

• 2358 posts
    October 22, 2008 11:59 AM BST
    I note lately that on several occasions, people have stated they find the term ''TRANNY'' derogatory and offensive.

What! those people that have muted that point, DUH they Have joined a site called TRANNY WEB, they use the Tranny forums, visit the tranny picture galleries, talk away in the tranny chat room. We were all tranny's before we had any conception of what the term transexual meant.
    Get a life, king grow up, Stop nit picking, enjoy. Those that think perhaps they are so advanced and superior
    should start their own site, perhaps split in two,
    Transexuals RUS PREOP & Transexuals RUS POST OP.(head up their own arses Ltd.)
    Then see where they get their support and freindship.
    Otherwise just accept, we are all in the same boat and stop being so pedantic and bombastic.

Addendum, also include puerile and infantile.
    • 2127 posts
    October 22, 2008 1:16 PM BST
    I have to agree Cristine.

For the record, the term "Tranny" is not derogatory in any way. It is simply a diminutive of the words transgender, transsexual and transvestite - a term of endearment even.

If I had thought for one moment back in 1999 that the word tranny was a bad word, then I would never have used it in the name of our community.

People spreading the idea that tranny is somehow offensive is the real danger here, because if enough silly people say it is offensive, then it will be. Like a self-fulfilling prophesy.

So please tell the folks who told you Cristine, that Tranny is a lovely, friendly and even gorgeous term and they are wrong!

Hugs,

Katie x
  • October 22, 2008 4:16 PM BST
    Katie

I'm new here, so this is my first post other than my intro.

Interestingly, the term "tranny" was the topic of a question to the manners columnist in our local paper this week. Her answer was that it was perfectly appropriate for those in the community, but might be viewed as derogatory when used by those who do not identify themselves as tranny in any way.

Incidentally, the person who asked the question used a term I had not seen before--cisgendered. That's someone whose biological sex and gender identity and behavior match. Not too many of those here, I'd guess.

Fondly,
    • 1980 posts
    October 22, 2008 5:06 PM BST
    Hi Girls...

Well, I've been called worse.

Love the topic, I'm an English major with an emphasis on semantics and linguistics, much good has it done me, but I love words and word play and the impact, often unnoticed that they have in our daily lives. That old saw about "sticks and stones..." is just so wrong. And yes, I have heard others say they consider "tranny" to somehow be derogatory, though when pressed the only reason they could come up with was that they just felt it was. Perhaps like beauty this is in the eye of the beholder.

Emily, I recognize the Latin prefix, maybe for us we could spell it sisgendered to show congruence with who we identify with.<lol>

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 2127 posts
    October 22, 2008 5:49 PM BST
    Well how about we start a camapign to make the word tranny acceptable everywhere and not offensive in any way?

If we laugh at people who think it's offensive maybe they'll get the message.

Let's tell everyone - Tranny is a positive term for people who have a gift.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2358 posts
    October 22, 2008 6:09 PM BST
    Lets just see, how many feel strongly enough about the topic to make a comment. Peronally I think the term tranny
    signifies a sense of humour and compassion, Which I much prefer to Geezer bird which some of my old school
    contempories still refer to me as.
  • October 22, 2008 6:23 PM BST
    I usually read a news site named Daily News (translated) but at the bottom of that page is actually yesterdays news. I don't boycott that site because it has old news on it, I read it because I like it.
    This site is called Trannyweb. And just like my news site I didn't name it and I don't really care what it is called as long as I like it.

I am a woman. If you must I have a transsexual history or was born with Harry Benjamin's Syndrome, whichever you prefer.
    I am no more a tranny or a trans-person than someone who had cancer is a "cancer-person". Condition treated, life goes on for the cancer-person just as it does for those with Harry Benjamins.

If someone used the term tranny to describe me, I'd kindly say "I prefer woman, thank you". If that someone kept insisting that *I* change just because they think they have The Nicest Label Ever(tm) to describe me then maybe they need to grow up themselves and accept that not everyone agree?

I don't find "tranny" offensive, but I don't identify myself as one.

Edit: The act of trying to stick the label to my forehead, that I find a little offensive though
    • 2358 posts
    October 22, 2008 7:14 PM BST
    Koala, think you missed the point, no one is trying to stick labels on anyone, the point was raised to people that take exception in a petty way, of course everyones wishes in the form they are reffered to should be repected.
    Incidentally I was diagnosed with Reifensteins syndrome, but there is no getting away from the fact, I am still a transexual, iregarless of how I feel or look
    • 2127 posts
    October 22, 2008 7:38 PM BST
    I'm not sure if this is where this thread originated but one of our male members who has only been with us for two days cancelled his membership today and the reason he gave was that he thinks our site has a stupid name.

This is the first time I remember people telling me that the word tranny is offensive. Of course if he was the person that Cristine was referring to then it all stems back to him. However, if Cristine heard the same stuff from other members then maybe there are moves afoot in TG circles, to outlaw the word tranny by making it a derogatory term.

I hope that's not the case because we have spent considerable time (nine years) and effort and money too, building our brand and trademarking it.

There is no way that we are going to change the name of our community just because a few people are confused about the meaning of it.

So, my campaign goes on - let's march on Parliament and the White House. Let's lobby our MP's and Congressmen.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2358 posts
    October 22, 2008 8:08 PM BST
    Awe what did a male member think Trannyweb stood for,
    did he come on with the what you wearing, wanna meet, have a shag and get rebuffed. I don't apologise for raising this thread, It was mentioned by a couple of ''supossedly pre op transexuals'' got to the point in their lives, suddenly concluding the term tranny only reffered to transvestites and now they consider themselves above the term. Trust me to be objective controversial and downright
    awkward in raising such a sensative subject.

I was having a dig at the peole who mistakenly think they are better than those, who for whatever reason, cannot go the whole way. I'm there, happy and contented, but not deluded and still have an empathy for your downtrodden
    tranny ''Transvestite', Which lets face it also takes a lot of courage and loyalty to commitments they may have made,
    choosing a life perhaps they would wish to change, denying themselves total fullfilment and enduring happiness for the sake of others. Or denied the same due to prohibitive costs, whatever. God bless the Tranny's one and all, Trannyweb and all who sail in her.'

AND whichever way you look at it, if you were born a male and have had GRS or living permantly as a female, you ARE
    TRANSGENDERED by definition,
    • 1980 posts
    October 22, 2008 8:13 PM BST
    Hi Katie-

I think this may be one of those topics in which the further it is taken more heat than light will be shed. Personally speaking I do not find it offensive and often self-label myself as such, I'm a transgendered person, tranny, whatever. This is not to say that everyone is happy to be labeled as such, nor is it a suggestion that tranny be used a general term for all transgendered people. The fact that I take no offense to it doesn't mean that others should not if they want to.

And as Emily pointed out, it may be one of those labels that while acceptable within the community is resented when used by those outside it. The "N" word is often used within the black community but deeply resented when used by others, as are slang words used within the gay community.

Honestly, I think this thread is fraught with the potential for all sorts miscommunication, potential resentments and mutual misunderstandings. If I were you, while I am all for open discussion of all sorts of topics, I would shut it down. Just my thoughts. Love you, Katie.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 1912 posts
    October 22, 2008 8:17 PM BST
    I don't mind the term tranny although I'm not going to go around with it tattoo'd to my forehead. If anything I prefer tranny over transsexual. Nothing irritates me more than the sexual connotations "transsexual" carries. I also understand Koala's remark about being a woman. Like her, I see myself as a woman with a tranny history.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2627 posts
    October 22, 2008 8:20 PM BST
    Yes these threads allways bring out arguments & bad feelings.
    • 2358 posts
    October 22, 2008 8:38 PM BST
    Oh and the ideas of some thinking they are superior to others, probably refering to others as trannys but do not like being termed trannys themselves because they think its offensive and derogatory because they have reached a point in their lives of assumed elevated status. Stop the thread if you want it stopped, but dare you to let the comments and responses already made stand.
    • 1980 posts
    October 22, 2008 9:09 PM BST
    Not what I said or meant, Christine. As I said I am for all sorts of open discussion and expression of opinions and ideas. The thread can remain open or not, it doesn't really matter that much to me, I am happy to enjoy the give and take and if it gets to be too much, I'll just stay out of it. But I have seen where these sorts of discussions have led, that's all.

And for what it's worth there will always be those who consider themselves somehow superior by virtue of...well, you name it...it's human nature.

Hugs...Joni Marie
  • October 22, 2008 9:19 PM BST
    Look Cristine, you say that you have no intention of sticking labels to people and yet you INSIST I am transgendered and that there is no other way I can look at things.
    I don't *like* the term transgendered since it is so broad and I *do not* define myself as transgendered. *You* define *me* as transgendered and I object to that.
    There is also a definition called "man" and by definition it usually includes everyone born with XY genes and hence everyone who has posted in this thread is a "man". You and me both included and there is no other way you can look at things, right?
    I don't want you sticking the TG label to me any more than I believe you'd like me to stick the "man" label on you just because by some definitions you fit right in.
    And, that has nothing to do with superiority or "elevated status", I just simply don't like the term transgendered.
    • 2127 posts
    October 22, 2008 9:54 PM BST
    Well I don't like the term "wibble" and I'm not going to take it anymore! LOL!

Sorry but I think the girls are right. While I appreciate Cristine's intentions in posting this thread in the first place, it is one of those that we have seen many, many times before - the kind which is most likely to turn into a blood bath and it is already starting to get quite heated.

So, let's close it here and I will leave it up as a read only thread for the world to enjoy in the months and years to come, so if anyone else should start the same thing again, we can close it and refer them back to this one.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2358 posts
    October 23, 2019 9:34 PM BST

What I was trying to say was within our community the word Tranny is an all inclusive word, Transsexual, Transgendered, Transvestite, like a family name, friendly, empathetic  not intended to be offensive, insulting or derogatory.    Not the word as used outside the community which generally does include words, like pervert, queer etc.