Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Make-Up Tips » What do You want

What do You want

Tags : None
  • Hi Girls, I was just wondering what you the members would like to get from this make up forum.

My first thought where to try to help by posting links to instructional videos and tip sites, also I was thinking of doing a weekly hot tip for discussion.
    The forums are here for you girls the members so please post your ideas and thought on "What you want"

Hugs
    Sammi
      November 16, 2008 12:58 PM GMT
    Sammi
    I like your idea of a weekly hot tip - I'm always looking for ways of improving my looks - it gets tougher each year....
    could use some help with brown spots on my hands, too.
    hugs
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      November 17, 2008 4:19 PM GMT
  • Sammi, since you asked. I think a great idea would be for you to send out free samples of whatever we would like. Let's take a vote.
    Should Sammi send us free samples?
    1: Yes, I want Sammi to send out free samples
    2: No, I don't like free stuff

Hugs,
    Marsha
      November 17, 2008 8:26 PM GMT
  • Well Sammi, since ya asked nicely uh I would like to know if you or any one else there knows of products here in the states that is a decent foundation that hides the slight wisker stubble on my face. I use the Gilette Mach III blades and I have somewhat sensitive skin. I can't afford Laser or electrolysis . I don't get very much from the social security as I'm disabled and I work as much as I can under the table as well. .
    I know about Durma blend but the expense of it is prohibitive as I'm female pretty much every day now and I use a liquid "Mineral " Foundation to hide my Roseaceia as well. You might see it in my profile picture as I had the picture taken without too much anything that day . I know I can't reverse aging ,but i would like to at least look nice anyway without looking like a Drag queen. Ellen S.
    Liberalism , a desease - E Shaver
      November 17, 2008 9:31 PM GMT
  • Ellen, I found that most yellowish concealers will work just fine and far from the cost of durablend. What I usually did was apply a little yellowish concealer to the area, then using a little red or orange lipstick, you can blend the area in pretty good before applying your foundation. Maybelline also makes a mineral concealer as I imagine others do.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
      November 17, 2008 9:54 PM GMT
  • I can always learn something from others more talented than I; so I would really appreciate links to videos on techniques. My face looks terrific in a room of moderate lighting from six feet away, but goes down hill as the lighting gets very bright or close up.
      November 18, 2008 1:44 AM GMT
  • I'd like to know how to style my eyebrows to make them look more feminine and what techniques to use to do it.

Also links to well-regarded make-up books (preferably on Amazon) would be useful.
      November 18, 2008 8:23 PM GMT
    I'll confess to just being happy reading any tips that come along!

Catherine, whilst trying not to stray too far off thread, I long ago decided my eyesight was'nt up to plucking and shaping my eyebrows - without my glasses on I'd be plucking my eyeballs! Instead I decided to use a local Beauty Salon and, whilst its an indulgence, its well worth it. Every three weeks I have my brows shaped, waxed, plucked and - if necessary, tinted. Then every other three weeks I have my eyelashes tinted. On average it costs me £30 a month. Well worth every penny. You should be looking at £10 - £15pm to keep your eyebrows up to date.

Much love

Rae xx
    www.raekelcou.com
      November 18, 2008 10:37 PM GMT
    Ellen - for what it's worth....
    I found I get a better shave now - my wife got me to use a moisturizer on my face and it not only made my shin feel better it made me look (somewhat) bettter. The shaving was easier and closer.
    hugs
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      November 19, 2008 3:12 PM GMT
  • Hi girls, Thanks for your comments i hope we can get this forum buzzing and get lots of tips from eachother too.

Marsha the free samples will have to wait until i win the national lottery i'm afraid lol

Christine there are a few options with eyebrows, you can get them done profesionally of buy one of the eyebrow shaper kits from boots which are like sticky plasters with the eybrow shape your after wut out in the middle of them or you could just pluck them yourself, if the hair length is a problem used a personal trimmer to shorten them evenly.
    http://www.boots.com/weba[...]d=10551 The eyebrow shapers

Ellen, the most important thing is to use a good moisturiser and cleanser/toner every morning and night plus you could use one of the night creams specially for age reduction as far you skin goes. Foundations need to match your skins own colour as best as you can and as Marsha said the yellowish toned ones cover better for facial hair or blemishes. Shaving can irritate and the best way to reduce this is to used a hair conditioner instead of shaving soap cream, it will leave your skin softer and give you a smoother shave. If you want to conseal without having to used derma blend then just used a standard consealer which are much cheeper.

Mary Grace, the brown spots on your hand is a good one, the only thing i can think of is to use a consealer on them and then use a moisturiser after or even put some liquid foundation in the moisturiser to reduce there appearance. i will keep looking to see if i can find a better solution though and post it if i can.

As for the tips and videos this is about the best site ive found for them
    http://www.videojug.com/tag/make-up

Hope that has helped Girls
    Hugs Sammi
      November 21, 2008 2:36 PM GMT
  • Hi Sisters,
    Saw this on a Makeup site.... thought it might be of use to my sisters.......

url to site is below as well...

BTW: I apologize for the product names listed, but thought the concepts were useful....

http://www.maybelline.com[...]et.aspx

GENERAL BEAUTY TIPS

Save your skin from premature lines and wrinkles.

Always wear an SPF 15 or higher sunscreen. Make it easy with foundation that has a built-in SPF, such as Instant Age Rewind Foundation with SPF 18 to protect skin. Protect lips, too, since they’re the area most prone to environmental damage. Moisture Extreme Lipcolor combines SPF 15 with the moisturization of a lip balm.

Take off your makeup every night.

Remove eye makeup first, then the rest of your makeup. Use dedicated removers such as Expert Eyes 100% Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover or Expert Eyes 100% Oil-Free Makeup Remover Pads for regular mascara, Expert Eyes Moisturizing Eye Makeup Remover for waterproof mascara and Superaway Lipcolor Remover for long-wearing lipcolor.

Don’t expose makeup to germs.

Never share makeup. Never add liquid to a product, or you may add bacteria as well. Close makeup caps tightly after use. If you have an eye infection, don’t use eye makeup and throw away all the products you used when you discovered the infection. The same rule applies to lip products if you get a canker sore.

Apply acne treatments first if you need them.

Put them on before you apply moisturizer or foundation, so they can get to work on your skin.

Wash your brushes to avoid breakouts and to help bristles last longer.

Wet the brush head, lather well with shampoo, rinse with warm water and lay flat on a towel to dry. Brushes for liquid and cream makeup, such as lipcolor, foundation, concealer, cream eye shadow, should be washed daily. Wash all other brushes once a week, or at least every two weeks. A neat tip between washings: Swipe the bristles with antibacterial wipes after each use. The brushes will dry in about three minutes.

Choose mascara if you only have time for one product.

Apply one coat to make eyes look bigger, better and brighter.

Don't let airline travel dry out your skin.

Flying can dry out your skin. If you’re traveling, apply a face cream and a lip balm before you take off. Reapply to replenish your skin and lips. Drink lots of water and skip caffeine, alcohol and salt to stay fresh and hydrated.

FACE MAKEUP TIPS

Opt for yellow-toned concealers.

They’ll help camouflage red or purple tones in blemishes—and complement any skin tone.

Apply concealer in a thin layer.

Put a light dab directly on any imperfections and repeat if necessary to build coverage.

EYE MAKEUP TIPS

Curl lashes to open up your eyes.

Always curl lashes before mascara for a big boost to your lash look.

Use short, feathery strokes when applying eye pencil.

This way you’ll get the most precise and mess-free look.

Don’t pump your mascara or it’ll dry out faster.

Just insert the brush into the tube and gently swirl for the most even distribution of mascara.

Groom and set your brows.

Clear mascara works well without leaving a trace.

Make it easy to remove stubborn mascara under your lower lashes.

A cotton swab moistened with eye makeup remover quickly gets rid of mascara smears.

Apply foundation on lids before you put on shadow.

This prep step will smooth the skin’s surface and prolong eye shadow performance.

LIP MAKEUP TIPS

Exfoliate lips weekly with a baby toothbrush.

You’ll see a smoother, healthier lip surface that should help lipcolor stick on and stay put.

Choose lip liner shades that match your natural lips, not your lipcolor.

When you line your lips, contour with soft, feathery strokes. Don’t draw a bold line.

NAIL COLOR TIPS

Look at your nail beds to determine your best nail shape.

Curved beds look better with rounded tips. Flat nail beds look good with squared edges. Go in between if you’re unsure: Create a slight oval at the center of your tips, then softly square the edges of your nails to get what top manicurists call the “squoval.”

Trim your nails if you wear extreme nail colors.

Light and super-dark shades look best on short nails, plus this length is easier to maintain.

Make short nails look longer.

Polish nails with a color similar to your skin tone.

TOOL TIPS

Keep it to yourself

It's always good to share, but not your makeup brushes! Try not to share your brushes with other people as this can transfer their oils onto your skin. If someone does borrow your brushes, be sure to wash thoroughly before re-using on your own skin.

November 21, 2008 11:24 PM GMT
    Wow, Sammi, thanks for reinvigourating this forum! I'm intrigued by your tip to use hair conditioner instead of shaving gel/foam/soap. I will be trying that out from tomorrow... !

Michelle, thanks for all the tips. Am intrigued by the lip exfoliation via a baby's toothbrush. I'll be giving that a go soon too. [Do I need to catch a live baby first????]

I will share a tip for any girls out there who, like me, have very curly potentially frizzy hair - and a budget next to zero. Pick up a cheap plastic spray bottle, mix a good dollop or three of conditioner with a reasonable amount of water. [See, I like to be precise, lol]. Give it a good shake. Damp your hair with it, comb through, towel off any excess and finger shape your hair as required. It keeps your hair under control all day. And if, like me, you make the mistake of buying a clear spray bottle don't be put off. Yes, the mixture looks like something you should'nt spray anywhere least of all your hair. But no, you won't get pregnant. Depending on your need, you can add a bit of olive oil to the mix. I have'nt yet but should. [The reason I have'nt is only because the top refuses valiantly to come off my brand new bottle of oil. Doh.]

Much love to you all.

Rae xx
    www.raekelcou.com
      November 22, 2008 12:03 AM GMT
  • Thanks Michelle, some great tip there. most of the make up manufactures site's have some good tips and occational special offer so bookmark them and pay a quick visit.

Hugs
    Sammi
      November 22, 2008 4:56 PM GMT