Aretha Franklin's Hat

• 2627 posts
    January 22, 2009 1:51 PM GMT
    When I saw that hat she was wearing at the inaugural I thought it was ridiculous.
    Yet from what I read in this morning paper it was loved by all.
    There selling by the hundreds. I thought it was very gaudy.
    I went online to a bunch of sites & they all say what a great looking hat it is.
    Is my fashion sence realy that bad?
    • 1195 posts
    January 22, 2009 3:24 PM GMT
    Karen
    I can't comment on your fashion sence but the hat kept her head warm. Remember the purpose of a hat is to cover the head- keep it warm- protect from the sun and so forth. A woman's hat also is making a statement "Notice ME!" It served its purpose.
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 1912 posts
    January 22, 2009 3:27 PM GMT
    I'm with you Karen, between her hat and her singing, I think she should have gracefully stepped down years ago. The nice comments about it probably go inline with a culture that is afraid to call it what it is for fear of hurting someones feelings. But if she liked it, so be it, like you I am not going to jump on the bandwagon and ooh and aw over it. She was an outstanding singer in her time, I don't know if it was the song or her voice, but it sure ran me out of the room.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1980 posts
    January 22, 2009 6:33 PM GMT
    Hey come on, ladies. To revive a phrase from that era, "different strokes for different folks." And while I am not big fan of hats at all, and even if I were forced at gunpoint to wear one, it probably wouldn't be the one she sported, I think she deserves point for flair and for being who she is. She is an icon and a diva, after all. And perhaps her better days as a performer are behind her but it was the occasion, not anyone specifically involved (well maybe the new prez) that it was all about.
    Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 2627 posts
    January 22, 2009 10:50 PM GMT
    I'm not putting down the lady, just the hat & the fuss made over it.
    • 1980 posts
    January 22, 2009 11:14 PM GMT
    I understand, Karen. I always respect your opinion.

Hugs...Joni Marie