Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Passing in public » Is that your husbands?

Is that your husbands?

Tags : None
  • Just for the record I work on a military base here in Germany, and so every day I have to pass through security and have my ID checked. I always get some looks as my appearance has changed quite dramatically over the last twelve months as I have been living more or less full time. (No male clothes etc, and I wear make up and boots with heels to work).

Anyway, people have been getting my gender wrong as my appearance has been changing, which has been great and a real ego boost of course, and today I got stopped by the gate security who saw my ID and asked, 'Is that your husband's?', lol. What is a girl to do? I simply shrugged, and said, 'Actually, that used to be me!' The poor guy didn't know what to do but let me through anyway.

So I guess it's time I renewed my ID, lol.

Nikki

PS If you want to boost your confidence, work on a military base as a female. It is full of 'macho' types and their wives and if you can pass smoothly and confidently in that environment, you can do it anywhere!

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      February 10, 2009 1:36 PM GMT
  • Nikki, that is very cool. I suppose working on the military base they would look at ID's a little closer. I have found most people who check ID's for stuff like being old enough to buy liquor are complete idiots and don't even know what they are looking for. But like you, I started getting the double takes and got tired of saying that was the old me so I went and had a new drivers license picture taken. Currently I also only use my business visa debit card for purchases because only the business name shows up on the computer. I'm shooting for having the name change done by mid april so that will end that issue.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
      February 10, 2009 10:05 PM GMT
  • The name change is next on my list but it's a little problematic as it's a big step for my partner who is upset about it because it means I won't 'match' the name on our marriage certificate etc. I have to take baby steps with this.

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      February 11, 2009 7:53 PM GMT
  • Hi Nikki,
    LOL.... congratz!

Michelle Lynn

February 14, 2009 2:12 AM GMT