Bums on seats

• 734 posts
    March 19, 2009 2:07 AM GMT
    It’s all about bums on seats.

I’ve started this separate thread - and it does’nt matter if it quickly dies - but it’s also in your interest if it does’nt!

The ‘Tribunes out’ thread has diversified - quite nicely and quite rightly [in these times] - into a ‘how can we help TW’ thread, well almost… ish!

I, for one, do not want TW to sink in these ‘credit crunch’ times. I’m sure Katie has a plan.

A while back, Katie took the time out and the trouble to meet me as a person and have a chat. What other websites take the time and trouble to personally meet some of there members? That act alone told me TW was special. It cares.

I agree with what Sarah Connor writes - I hope that’s also a ‘welcome back girl’ - those who cannot afford full membership shouldn’t be treated as second class. But I agree with Katie’s answer. It’s a point we have to have in mind.

I’m in the bizarre situation of being a basic member, being a peasant who cannot find annual membership in one full lump sum but who can afford monthly instalments. In fact, I would be happy to pay £8 per month for full membership. Which prices membership at £96pa but there appears to be no cost effective method of harvesting that membership.

I can’t disagree with the Tribune having ‘… if you were a member you could read more…’ but I can see the mindset that will be put off by that. You can’t win them all. But you can hope to lose only the minimum… [as long as there is enough full content for the basic member].

It is such a tough tightrope to walk. You’re not going to please everyone.

Maybe we peasants will ultimately be forced to go elsewhere. Oh, on that note, I - for one - would never ever suggest I get so much access as a Basic Member that I wouldn’t want to become a Full Member if finance allowed. I don’t disbelieve you Katie but I don’t think that’s a reflective view…

To my mind, some form of monthly subscription is the answer - I just don’t know how the hell to work it. But maybe I need to investigate for myself - given I’d like to pay monthly… [ NB for those who don’t recall, I have neither debit nor credit card]. [Only the damned P-word! Doh].

Whatever the rights or wrongs, let’s keep TW here at least..!

Rae x