Leg Shaving

• 1980 posts
    May 18, 2009 12:16 AM BST
    Hi girls, this was posted on another group I belong to. I found it very enjoyable. I mean instructional...yes, instructional. That's what I meant to say.

Hugs...Joni Marie

http://www.wikihow.com/Sh[...]ur-Legs
    • 38 posts
    May 18, 2009 2:11 AM BST
    Thanks for the great link.

I find the back of the thighs the hardest part to shave, fortunately I only have to shave my legs once a week, or every two weeks if I push it a bit.

Talia.
    • 83 posts
    May 18, 2009 3:03 PM BST
    Yes that is a great link. I have one thing that differs for me: from their Tips section, they recommend not using a electric razor at first, but a blade due to razor burns, they say. For me it's the opposite. I get burns, nicks and a whole lot more problems using a razor than a blade. My hair grows so fast and heavy I try to shave twice a day. In many areas, such as pits, back of thighs and upper chest, back of my neck, I have what they call 'chicken skin', which is the little raised bumps at each hair follicle. A razor cuts all the tops off and I look like I have measles, but with a good electric shaver I don't get that problem at all.

I wish I'd seen that article when I first started shaving though.

Ann
    • 1980 posts
    May 18, 2009 4:51 PM BST
    Hi Constance-

I've tried conditioner, too, it does a great job. It doesn't need to be top of the line either to do a good job.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 1980 posts
    May 18, 2009 5:04 PM BST
    Hi Ann-

I've run into that problem as well, mostly in the bikini area. Lots of times those are ingrown hairs and I have run across a couple of ways of dealing with them. These are tips I picked up from other girls or from websites. Since they are basically like pimples, inflammations that is, only of a hair follicle rather than a sebaceous gland, you can use any acne treatment and it will make them go away or at least not be quite so bad. And it doesn't even have to be a real high end product either, I use Safeway housebrand acne treatment and it works fine.

Another thing you can try is dissolving plain aspirin in rubbing alcohol. Actually it won't dissolve but just form a sort of suspension which will settle out, you'll need to shake it up each time you use it. Just put it on the affected area with a cotton ball and the salicylic acid in the aspirin will dry out the inflamed follicles. You can use the cheapest plain aspirin you can find. And oh yeah, it will sting at first, especially if you just shaved (not easy being a girl), but it does work.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 83 posts
    May 19, 2009 8:04 AM BST
    Thanks for the tip Joni, I might try a few things like that, such as Wintergreen or Birch oil, since it's got a similar acid in it as Aspirin. But, alas, my skin condition was diagnosed by a Dermatologist, so it's truly a raised bump at each follicle and when shaven, yes they do promote more ingrown hair growth. The doctor also told me that laser hair removal does not work well with this skin type either. He went on to tell me that laser works best with dark hair and lighter skin, so if I am so inclined, to try it before I gray too much. My wife says my skin is a bit rashy looking in the areas I shave.

I may try some other oils on my skin to see if it does better, like Rosemary Verbanon and also Inula oil. Both are supposed to be excellent with making skin soft and smooth. Rosemary also contains some eucalyptol which is anti-bacterial and could help if it's an acne-like condition. Inula is supposed to be one of the best skin treatments one can add to bath salts. (As a safety note, if any of you have access to and want to try Inula, it is safe when used externally, but when used internally is highly toxic, with an LD-50 (Lethal Dose for 50% of people) of something like 5 drops or so, I think, so please be careful not to accidentally ingest any.)

Hugs,
    Ann
  • May 24, 2009 6:08 AM BST
    Hi everyone, this is my first post here, and thanks for having me!

I've been shaving my legs (and body) at least on a weekly basis for the past three years or so (when I finally decided not to resist the urges to crossdress and feminize my body). I think that your skin eventually gets used to a regular shaving regime (or at least mine has) because I never get razor burn or bumps any more. What is perhaps odd for me is that I dry shave and find this more effective than using creams etc. I think different methods work for different people. For me, shaving my back (yuck, I haye back hair) is a problem and I always have to ask a friend to do it for me. But for all the time and effort it takes, nothing beats smooth hairless skin for a lovely feminine feeling.
    • 1980 posts
    May 24, 2009 2:13 PM BST
    Hi Rachael-

Welcome to TW, girl, it's so nice to have you here. Please, if you'd like to that is, take a moment to introduce yourself on the Welcome New Members Forum. It's not a requirement, of course, only if you feel like doing it. No matter what you are very, very welcome here. You'll find TW a great place to meet people, make friends and find all sorts of information, resources and support.

And oh yes, girl, you are so right, nothing beats being slick instead of hairy. I love the feeling of being shaved all over and haven't been any other way for years now. The only hair I have on me is my brows...are my brows(?)...whatever.<lol> As far as dry shaving, though, I don't think I could handle that, but whatever works.

Once again, Rachael, you are so welcome here. I'm glad you joined us.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 734 posts
    May 25, 2009 1:17 AM BST
    Mmm. I think I'm very lucky in not being particularly prone to a hairy body. Or razor burn. Or looking like a plucked chicken. Or worse.

Generally speaking I use conditioner to shave with. It works excellently and is often cheaperbut, when just doing a little touch up here and there, I'll dry shave. No problems.

But -God being a fair minded type of person - whilst giving me a body I could be proud of, made certain I had the facial hair from Hell. Just to even things up a little.

A little off-topic, but I will pull it back, promise.

I can't grow a beard. Now, obviously, we'd all be thinking 'bonus' to that statement. But what I mean is three days growth, maximum, and my face breaks out in the most prolific and painful of rashes. From what I can gather it's something to do with having very curly hair. And I've since discovered it's something prevelant in the black community. [It also means careful thinking about electrolysis etc].

However, a product widely used in the black community is - and I'm working from dodgy memory - called 'Magic Shave' which seems to do exactly what it says on the tin. I am, however, yet to try it [I'm working on my sisters advice and we're just looking at different strengths etc] but will let you know what it's like.

Which brings me back to the thread! Ann's post about very tough hair made me think of this. You would have to do your own research, I have'nt the foggiest, but maybe this product is good for area's other than the face? It certainly seems to do the job there. It may be worth you contacting the firm that produces it.

Just a thought.

Random, but well meant

Much love

Rae xx
  • May 25, 2009 8:35 PM BST
    Luckily for me the hormones have really redcued body hair to a minimum and pubic hair ahs shrunk to a female like patch which is very nice but for some reason my legs have been getting quite hairy for the last couple of months . This hasn't been a problem as shaving smooths them off for a couple of weeks..but 4 weeks ago I had an ankle operation and now have a short cast on almost up to knee heigh and when they changed this there was quite a bit of very dark hair! Looked awful! But nothing I could do. Incidentally I notice that these legs hairs are very easy to pull out as they are not rooted very hard so as soon as the cast is off I will be trying waxing for supersmoothie.
  • May 26, 2009 9:35 PM BST
    I just started using the new Gillette Venus Embrace, with 5-blades no less...can highly recommend

http://www.gillettevenus.com/uk/ [activated by Admin]

Sandra x
    • 1912 posts
    May 26, 2009 10:17 PM BST
    I bought the Gillette Venus also and I think it totally sucked for the price. The slippery stuff that is built into the Venus is super slippery but I found the closeness of the shave wasn't nearly as good as razors costing less. Also with the Venus make sure the lubricating strips don't stay wet or they will dissolve away after only one or two uses. My razor of choice is the Schick Quattro for Women. For lubricant while shaving I often shave while taking a bubble bath or use conditioner or Skintimate shave gel.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
  • May 27, 2009 1:39 AM BST
    Honestly, this is not an add; however, I have used an epilator or similar device for years. I do not find it gives much pain, and my skin is as smooth as a baby's skin with no cuts, pimples etc. It requires a treatment at ca. 3-4 week intervals, and the hairs first become very long and soft and after time the population begins to diminish. My entire body takes about 35 min. now that I have been using it for some years. I bought my last one from Hammacher- Schlemmer through hammacher.com. I love my soft, smooth skin and I hope the same for all of you.

With my best thoughts and hugs.

Jacqueline
  • June 1, 2009 8:55 AM BST
    curious experience with hair growth>
    I had to have a knee operation last december. Surgeon made long incision vertically right over kneecap. it ain't a pretty scar but now my leg doesn't buckle under me
    When the bandages came off after ten days I noticed that the entire area was quite pink and warm and a good crop of hairs were growing out! Luckily the incision healed up clean with no infections.
    Never had much hair there before. For several weeks the hairs grew thick so that for follow ups with surgeon I had to shave the area.
    Just noticed yesterday that the area is now hair free as before.
    Weird! Don't know what to put it down to? The heat and pinkness mean extra blood supply or natural healing process somehow spurred follicles into temporary growth?
    • 114 posts
    June 4, 2009 7:50 PM BST
    >ne thing I have found that works great for me, Instead of shaving cream, try hair conditioner. It seems to make my skin really smooth >and the razor just glides through.

I plan to shave in the morning, and I plan to try this approach.

My very favorite lubricant for shaving my legs and body is Neutrogena's Rainbath. I have never used anything as good as this. They way my skin feels afterward is amazing. Even my wife converted to Rainbath. Unfortunately, I cannot get Rainbath in Saudi Arabia. I can get almost any other Neutrogena product, but not Rainbath. I will be bringing some back next time.
    • 114 posts
    June 5, 2009 9:25 AM BST
    I shaved myself this morning, and I used hair conditioner as the lubiricant for the razor. I have to say I was quite pleased with the results.

A couple of caveats. Because hot water doesn't last long for my bathroom (we have individual heaters of about 10 gal or so), I usually shave my legs with the shower off, wetting them as necessary. With the hair conditioner, I had to rewet the skin and conditioner fairly often, which I've never had to to do with shaving cream. It wasn't a huge inconvenience, though. When I shaved my torso and arms, it wasn't a problem as I do that with the shower running.

Very nice technique. I am glad I learned it here.

I still miss my Rainbath, though.

• June 9, 2009 10:23 PM BST
    I'm with Marsha Ann. Hot bath and shave. It will last for "ages" which is at least a day and a minute
  • September 28, 2009 8:00 AM BST
    Hi Joni

Thanks for the link. I also looked into some of the other links there and they were great too

Thanks again

Stephenie