One Sale - Two Prices, Men Pay More

• 2627 posts
    June 23, 2009 10:07 AM BST
    I buy a lot of my clothes online. I get email from these sites using both Karen & my other name.
    I've noticed that Karen gets a better price from Womanwithin for the same sale than my male name gets.
    Are they charging TS's more than GG's?
    I wonder if other clothing sites do the same thing?
    It's not much but I hate the idea.
    See below.

Note: it cut it off but in the first add the tote is free, & in the second it's 2.99
    • 2627 posts
    June 23, 2009 1:19 PM BST
    Onehanesplace does the same thing. While Karen gets free shipping with a $50 order. My male name has to place a $60 order.
    Not big amounts but still. I guess they figer they can charge men more $.
    • 30 posts
    June 23, 2009 3:20 PM BST
    Hi...
    Don't necessarily blame the masculine name for the difference in price on special deals. I'll bet more business is done with the girl name than the guy name. Companies tend to give the sweetest deals to the customers who tend to spend more. The computer age enables them to give similar but less sparkling deals to the occasional customer, and even milder ones to those who tend to browse more than purchase...
    I have a Fashion Bug credit card, and when I have not used it in a long time, I get deals of "$10 off with purchase of $50 or more". After several purchases in a period of about 3 months, I get deals of "$10 off with purchase of $10 or more"...

It's the openness of the wallet that attracts the lower price, not the buyer's name.

Karin
    • 2627 posts
    June 23, 2009 11:38 PM BST
    But I've never bought anything using the name Karen.
    Only get emails in her name.
    • 2573 posts
    June 23, 2009 11:44 PM BST
    Interesting observation, Karin. Something you can readily test, Karen. Just try ordering on your male account and not female account for a bit and see what happens. If they are discriminating by sex it's probably illegal. In CA you can sue for $1000 per incident in small-claims court. One person got $18,000 that way. However, I suspect Karin's theory is closer to the truth. My roommates spend lots of money and get lots of offers for discounts from those places.
  • June 24, 2009 12:57 PM BST
    it might be just a nasty little marketing trick to get a bit of extra money like the Marks and Spencer chain was doing with claiming lots higher proces for larger cup bras...the bras are probably all made in china and the cost of materials and labour going into a bra cup can't vary by more that 2/3% of factory gate prices but M&S were charging lots more... and goodness knows how long thye had gotten away with it...
    then it was noticed that the prices of socks wwere all the same regardless of size...so M&S had to admit it and drop price of bras to same regardless of cup size.