Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » The first issue of Frock!

The first issue of Frock!

Tags : None
  • Hi all,
    This month you will notice we do not have a Tranny Tribune. Rather, we have a new publication called Frock! It is free to all this month, and go check it out.

The Tranny Tribune will be back next month. For now, enjoy!

Mere
    You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant.
      June 27, 2009 4:11 PM BST
    5 2127 2‚ 0
    We've worked hard for some time to bring you this new magazine. It is still a little rough around the edges but it's early days yet.

Please do give us your feedback on Frock here. When you've read it, please tell us what you think - what you liked and what you think could be improved along with any other ideas you have for future issues.
    I can already tell you that there will be a personals section from the next issue onwards, which will be taken from the personals area on this site so if you would like your personal ad to be included, please submit it now by going here...

http://gendersociety.com/[...]993.cgi

Thanks and hugs,

Katie x
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm!
      June 27, 2009 7:59 PM BST

• I've had a look & To be honest i think its very good. Only little thing i found tough was keepin a page still when i zoomed in closer to read it. I Can see this being a great success.......first of many for " Frock"

lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    "When the world gets in my face i say HAVE A NICE DAY"
      June 27, 2009 11:47 PM BST
    Katie,

Well, I've wanted TW to present a decent glossy type mag ever since I first joined, I just thought that this is something that's missing. I know it's something I touched on when we met a while back.

It does look good and I wish it every success.

I just won't be reading it :(

Not that I don't want to - it's just near as damned impossible. If I inhale [usefull you'd think] the page either wobbles to madness or zooms in / out and gets really annoying.

I appreciate it'll be fine for most who get this new fangled software more than us oldies but unless you happen to have a more stable copy knocking around the place I have to give it a miss. I did'nt even get a quarter way through the editorial before I started to feel a headache coming on.

I'm so sorry - really would love to support it - but not a format I can read.

I'm sure it'll be a success for others.

Much love - and congrats Katie, Meredith and everyone else involved.

Rae xx
    www.raekelcou.com
      June 28, 2009 12:37 AM BST
  • 2 2627
    The content was good, but I did have the same problem of the page jumping around.
    I think this has real potential. With time I think it could grow into a real mag with expanding readership.
    With readers outside TW.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      June 28, 2009 10:50 AM BST
  • I think the idea is good but there is still something missing… layout? Professional pictures? Style? What ever it is, adjusted text margins are a must in magazines. Paragraph headers, text references and that sort which makes it easier to read and follow should all be there… Also follow the 4W is a good article rule (Who, What, Where, Why)

Well I have been graphic designer for years so sorry if I’m a bit picky on this even though I left the trade for being hairstylist as it is much more fun. Sitting in front of the PC all day long can just be too boring.

For me I would not subscribe on the magazine for the very same reason, as I’m a basic member of TW. This is basically because I’m also member of several other TS sites that are offering news and stories for free and even then I don’t have time to read all of it.

Having said that, as TW got several paying members, I’m sure people would also subscribe on Frock and I wish you all good luck with that just make sure people that write in Frock should know what they are talking about and the only article I did find interesting was the one about the SRS story as it was good and informative reading…

Maybe a PDF version would also be good for subscribers as they could store it on there own PC?

xxx Natalie
      June 28, 2009 11:34 AM BST
    5 2127 2‚ 0
    Thanks for your feedback so far girls. We do already provide a free newsletter and heaps and heaps of free information for our Basic members but in order to survive, we need to persuade more of our girls to take up Full Membership. We can only do that by providing extra services like Frock magazine. I hope you’ll all understand that without an income Trannyweb would close down very quickly so it’s imperative that we continue our campaign to encourage more Full Membership by constantly adding new features and benefits for our Full Members to enjoy.

I think the problems that Rae and Karen have encountered are really down to me not explaining how to use the software properly. Maybe you just need to use it a few times and it will be easy after that.

The trouble is that most computer screens are the wrong shape and size to display a page from a magazine properly so we compromise by showing you the magazine's pages a bit smaller than they would normally be. However, at that scale you would have trouble reading them so you have the ability to zoom in on any page either by using the zoom button (bottom left) or by clicking on the page. Once you have zoomed in you can move around the page using your mouse (you don't even have to keep your finger on the mouse button).

If you don't move the mouse, then the page will stay perfectly still.

Then either click the page again or click the zoom button again to zoom out. You can navigate through the pages one at a time back or forth by clicking on the arrow icons on either side of the pages or you can go to a specific page by using the page thumbnails which appear when you press the thumbnails button (bottom left).

One problem which we have discovered and which we will rectify in the next issue, is that where a full page advert contains a link to an advertiser's web site, clicking the page take you there rather than zooming in. You can still zoom in and out using the zoom button (bottom left) but this does introduce some confusion into the system so we will ensure that this does not happen in future issues.

I think you already know that Meredith Newton was Co-Editor on this first issue, but thanks must also go to Cerys Conner who was our Art Director.

Please keep the feedback and ideas coming.

Thanks and hugs,

Katie x
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm!
      June 28, 2009 12:00 PM BST
    Thanks all for the advice - I will persevere!

Katie, Karen made a passing comment which - in my opinion - is absolutely crucial. And that was to [eventually] attract a readership outside of TW. To open our world to the rest of society is something that goes a long way to diffusing the falsehoods and myths about us.

Much love

Rae x
    www.raekelcou.com
      June 28, 2009 12:59 PM BST
  • After getting used to the controls, I like it
    <p>ooxxoo</p>
      June 28, 2009 11:59 PM BST
  • I'm reading these comments and taking them to heart. One of the things we have in mind is to expand the subject matter, so while Natalie preferred just one article, we want to make sure we offer a lot more to reflect who were truly are. Certainly tell us what sort of pieces you would like to read. Better yet, why not offer to write one yourself?

Thanks for the support. Now, on to more!
      June 29, 2009 12:38 AM BST
    Ok, I'll take the bull by the horns as they say. I guess I don't mind looking foolish...

You know, Meredith, I do hope you're practising what you preach. I'd like to see 'frock' move on and move up. At the very least it's a great name.

When you took over editorship of the tribune you called for writers. I did'nt hold my breath, but answered that call. And got missed in all the excitement, I guess. Several times.

To my - very insular - mind, the problem came from a post by somebody pretending to be a writer / journalist. I'm not going to waste my time, your time, or our beloved readers time by going into the archives, but suffice it to say they pretended to be who they were'nt. I took the opportunity to expose that and you just took the view of 'well, if you're so good why don't you write whatever' A pretty dismal reposte.

Thereafter, irrespective of any tentative interraction on my part, you reserved your right to ignore me. I hope 'Frock' is giving you the opportunity to grow.

You know where I'm at.

Rae.

www.raekelcou.com
      June 29, 2009 2:49 AM BST
  • Once again an innocent post has turned for the worst.........................

Rae, I really do not remember the incident of which you speak. Furthermore, you are making assumptions without knowing my tone of voice regarding this situation. Lastly, I do not ever remember you submitting anything to me. If you wrote anything, I sure as heck never saw it. I do not turn people away. Did you write something? Then send it in.

This should be a time of celebration. Do I really know where you are at? No, I don't.

June 29, 2009 3:40 AM BST
    Meredith, hunni,

Firstly, don't you just hate the time difference? I posted, I contemplated, you replied before I could delete it.

The oddest thing about forum's et al is how easy it is to take things out of context. I thought you offended me greatly about a year or so ago. Clearly, inadvertantly and, equally clearly, by accident. And yet that rather stupid and puerile interpretation of mine held fast. But I waxed and I waned as so many people held you in high regard.

Taking the time and the trouble to reply to my idiocy highlights the good things about your personality and those things I failed to understand so long ago.

Please don't feel an innocent post has turned around and bit you on the proverbials. I rather suspect I was feeling a bit low and, having received a perceived slight, took it out on you. Unfairly. And so far after the event it would take an archaeologist to determine its effect.

Much love to you and - whilst only required from my side of the PC - many an olive branch.

Rae xx
    www.raekelcou.com
      June 29, 2009 9:43 AM BST
  • Mere. Congratulations on the first issue of Frock. Having just flicked through, it's a crisp and engaging read. The longer articles provide more space for detail and personal insight, and provides a sense of gravitas. One small comment if I may. The inclusion of a recipe illustrates how difficult it can be to photograph food. I recommend that you look at any Nigel Slater or Jamie Oliver cookbook for guidance.
    Good luck to all involved.
    Rachel
    a girl at heart and a proper person too
      June 29, 2009 9:58 AM BST
  • Mere, I would just like to add my congratulations on the first issue of Frock and I am already looking forward to the next issue. Just one or two minor points, in the introduction there is a statement such as "click here to become a full member", the actual link is further down the page and can be difficult to hit given that the page scrolls with mouse movement. The second comment is to echo what Rachel has said, photos of food can be very difficult to bring off successfully. Other than that an immensely enjoyable and interesting read.

XXX
    Andrea
    Do what you have to, to be who you are.
      June 29, 2009 11:48 AM BST
  • Rae, I have no desire to fight. I truly don't remember what I said that offended you, and I am sorry if you were hurt. I do respect you very much and appreciate your insights.

Okay, hugs all around! Now, like I said, let's get to work! If you have some ideas as to what to include, please let me know.
      June 29, 2009 12:19 PM BST
  • One last thing to all of you who responded, and that is thank you for your remarks. These are all points we are going to keep in mind. Again, if there is some topic that is of particular interest to you, we need to know! Don't be shy.

Just, DO NO ask me to write a column on home repair. There I draw the line.
      June 29, 2009 12:40 PM BST
    5 2127 2‚ 0
    Glad everyone's kissed and made up.

Let's draw a line under that bit...

Thanks too for all the feedback on our first issue. Now we need to get to work on the next one and we also need to persuade Basic members that it's worth converting to Full Membership for (along with all the other benefits of Full Membership that is).

Remember, the purpose of Frock (apart from providing you with a good read) is to save Trannyweb.

Hugs,

Katie x
      June 29, 2009 12:42 PM BST
  • "so while Natalie preferred just one article, we want to make sure we offer a lot more to reflect who were truly are. " In my opinion and it could be it's just my opinion "Coming out" does not mean coming out to one friend? Or does it? I think there is a lot of people in here that has really gone FT like Marsha, Lucy, Cristine, me and others and as far as my mind is thinking such article would be far more interesting if it was written by someone that really had "come out" and not by someone that are still partly hiding?

I don't want to blame or shame anyone I just think for readers it would be far more interesting to read and the most exiting "coming out" person I know of is Lorraine Dawe from Angel Forum and if you could have an article about her... you would had some VERY interesting reading... You find her on Angelsforum. This is just an example and nobody needs to listen to me because I'm just Natalie.

Because I've been working for both publishers and web design companies, I know what effort it takes to write an article but to write an article with good info or "bad" info takes the same time, not saying it was bad but it was for me not a relevant story about "Coming Out" and for sure I couldn’t have done it any better anyway as I'm the worse writer you can find because I only write what I think, like a child. Beside this my brain is not THAT active so maybe I even misunderstood the whole issue.

Anyhow Meredith Kiss, kiss to you, keep up with good work because practice makes master - you know?

Now I need to go back to do some work haha

xxx Natalie
      June 29, 2009 2:42 PM BST
  • My honest thought, If you can do better, put your name forward, if not don't criticise. Perhaps Natalie woule like to offer her artistic talents. We all have stories, mine is known by a few, sad and shameful in many aspects. I was asked to contribute,
    to be an example of somthing to aspire to. I don't need people to volounteer my servies, or hold me up as an example of the way to do things. Believe me I should not be held up to be somones asperation. And a thought, that iregarless of who is out and who is not, does not make for a story, I am sure there are people who are still not out that could tell a very interesting story in
    what its like to live in the closet, for varying reasons. the regret, pressure, thinking of others first like SO's, children etc. Everyone
    is entitled to go there own way, God I realy get fed up with the bloody experts, telling everyone the way they did it is right. When will people realise we are not all clones of idealism. People mess up, If other sites are so good,? why come to TW. I love trannyweb. Constructive critism is one thing, but one needs to put themselves forward, no good saying but i'm a lousy writer, I am sure Meredith could help ghost anyones piece if they have somthing interesting to write.

Its not the way its written that is of paramount importance its what is written that counts. .

Cristine xxx
    Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      June 29, 2009 3:17 PM BST
  • Thanks, Cris and Constance,

Natalie, if you look at the Tranny Tribune, as well as Frock, you will see that I do in fact feature TW members and their stories of coming out. I asked Cris if she would allow me to interview her. Right now she is not comfortable with doing so, and I respect her right to privacy.

If you would have noticed in the "Coming Out" article I made no claims to know all their is to know about making that step. That's why it is also called "the opening of a dialogue." It was a piece to get people talking and it obviously worked. As one who writes professionally I am always on the lookout for a good idea.
      June 29, 2009 8:51 PM BST
  • Not bad I must admit. but the price is a bit steep for me but resionable I would keep it @ that price $109 is just outragousim sorry to say it but it is espicaly in the U.S.(from all the magizens I have seen).
      June 29, 2009 10:07 PM BST
    5 2127 2‚ 0
    Thanks Steph.

Samantha, I think you have the wrong end of the stick, so to speak. $109 is the price for TW Full Membership and everything else that includes, not just the magazine.

We also included a half price link with the first issue so it would actually cost you less than $55 for a year.

Is that better?

Hugs,

Katie x
      July 2, 2009 9:14 PM BST
  • Oh ok Katie sorry. Just the way it read it looked like that was the price of the magizine. in that case not bad wish I could afford it but llike every one eles cash is in very short supply for me right now some day I hope though.
      July 6, 2009 10:29 PM BST
    Ok. I've persevered. I still get a little seasick but that is definately more to do with my mouse control than anything else! I've had the time to explore the magazine and, to be completely sarah [I could never be frank], it is looking good. And looking a little more diverse, which is cool. Very mag-like indeed. And a very different animal to the Tribune.

Katie, thinking back to your comment along the lines of this being a potential saving factor for TW. [And if this point has already been made, apols]. I think it's right and proper Frock should be a flagship project free to full members. It's definately a plus in the sites arsenal. However, are you also considering offering it as a single subscription item? I'm thinking here about myself and the rest of the great unwashed. Those of us who can't quite budget to full membership but might be able to scrape up the ante for a quality mag... leave no potential revenue stream unturned. [A finely mixed metaphor if I say so myself].

Mere, m'dear - as we may say here in the wilds of Dorset - thankyou for your comments. Would you be kind enough to email me [addy below] with a contact email for yourself? I know you've publicised one before but I forget where. I did try to scan through Frock but could'nt see any contact details. Either my faulty mouse movements or something worth adding...

So much love to you both and many congrats to the team.

Rae xx

www.raekelcou.com
      July 8, 2009 12:52 AM BST