Farenheit 911/ God bless Michael Moore!

• 9 posts
    June 29, 2004 2:36 AM BST
    The light at the end of the tunnel may well turn out to be the bulb in a film projector. Neo-cons did everything in their power to stop it, but the truth is there, on big screens all over the USA, and Bushco is squirming! I encourage everyone, regardless of your politics, to open up your mind and check out what is arguably Michael Moore's best work to date. This movie did not tell ME personally a whole lot of things I wasn't already aware of, but then again my political consciousness goes WAY back. What Moore did well was to present an excellent, irrefutable, factual overview of how Dubya and his crew have been screwing America six ways from Sunday in a manner that is easy to understand for even the most die-hard conservative. I saw it twice in a row just to be sure I absorbed the whole message, and both times I watched a sold-out theater give this film a standing ovation! This one is a must-see for anyone, transgendered or not, who's concerned about their personal freedom and/or the future of the free world, as we know it. Popcorn anyone? >>> Cyndi
    • 16 posts
    June 29, 2004 3:36 AM BST
    Yes, it is a revealing movie, as a New Yorker we have seen what is happening to the country from $500 billion in the black to $500 billion in red. Our kids and grandkids will be paying for this in both money and a NEEDLESS loss of life on both sides. And the poor are the ones who suffer.
    I do not know if our sisters in th UK have been able to see this documentary and would be interested in their take on this.:(
    • 1198 posts
    June 30, 2004 8:49 AM BST
    Hi Girl's
    I for one am looking forward to seeing this by moore, i don't know the in's and out's of the film,but i have seen some clips of it on tv over here.
    Can i ask, will this be the end for bush or do you think he will thrive from it?. I'm also intrested in it as my uncle was in the Pentagon when it was hit, he was Austrailiann Navy attachment over in the US when it all happened. love JJ xx
    • 9 posts
    July 4, 2004 10:33 AM BST
    I believe that a lot of you girls from the US have missed the point. Actually, I think you have missed a couple of points. First of all, there were absolutely NO inaccuracies in Moore's portrayal of either of the Bushes. There COULDN'T be! Think about the following: #1-If ANYTHING that was portrayed in this film was not a VERIFIABLE FACT, the legal dept. at Lion's Gate / Miramax never would have let it see the light of day for fear of legal retribution. #2- If EVERTHING that was stated in this film was not true, why would the Republican Party have spent so much money, time and effort trying to coerce American theater owners into not showing it? Fortunately, their blatant attempt at censorship of the truth that most Americans won't see or hear on the govt. controlled mass media failed miserably. Instead, they actually helped to publicize F-911 and the results were RECORD-SETTING! #3- Michael Moore had to UNDERSTATE the important points about the corrupt state of the current NON-ELECTED administration in order to make the horrible truth digestable to the millions of misinformed Mr. and Mrs. "Joe Six-Packs", who make up the majority of the folks that filled the sold-out theaters all over the United States on the first week of the film's release. On a personal note; this was the first time I ever saw a movie get a STANDING OVATION, TWICE !
    Of course there are going to be those people whose state of denial is so deeply ingrained that they will continue to parrot the lies of Rush and Hannigan and spout the same tired old right-wing rhetoric, consistently invoking the past (Clinton this and Clinton that, BLAH,BLAH,BLAH), but as the polls are starting to reflect, a whole lot of people are starting to wipe the crust away from their eyes as Wall Street prospers and Main Street crumbles. The fact that there are still HUNDREDS of Americans being injured and dying because of an ILLEGAL INVASION of a soveriegn nation which was based on corporate GREED and LIES is also starting to show signs of it's devastating effects on not only our economy but also on our world image and the morale of our troops and their families. Although I am definitely not thrilled with Mr. Kerry, I'm confident that this opus will plant the seeds of thought in the open minds of enough Americans to make a real difference at the polls this November. Unfortunately, we will still be faced with a "Pepsi vs Coke" type of choice, which isn't really much of a choice at all, but at this point, even BOZO the Clown would be better than Bush!
    Happy Fourth of July! (getting off her soapbox), Cyndi
    • 37 posts
    July 4, 2004 11:54 AM BST
    I'm off to see it today and I can't wait. While I'm sure there will be specific points I haven't heard before, over here we have a much more eclectic choice of media so the basic tenets of the film may not be so shocking to us.

I love the comment earlier in the thread about Moore as a communist. It is only the seriously right wing over here who would make such a claim. Because we have a broader spectrum of mainstream politics, Moore is seen as nowhere near the ultra left. He seems somewhere between the conscious-driven members of the Labour Party and the Lib Dems to me.

Maybe you are thinking of his stunt on (I think) TV Nation where he drove a red hammer and sickle bedecked truck through the deep south. The point wasn't to publicise communism but to highlight intollerence through fear. Believe me, Moore is no communist, or not one as we in Europe would recognise. Definitely left of mainstream Democrats though, but then so was Atilla The Hun
  • July 8, 2004 8:23 PM BST
    Hi there!

I saw F-9/11 and I have to say although I wasn't surprised by the flavor, (which I strongly believe to be more than accurate), I was surprised by the magnitude of criminality and incompetence that is evident in the Bush regime. Bush win in a landslide? Not even a remote possibility unless of course the Bushie's can pull off their planned voting machine fraud which is looking less likely nowadays since more and more people are becoming aware of the possibility. These are true criminals who don't care how they win.

One of the things that impressed me was that "deer in the headlights" look on our fearless leaders face after being told about the second plane hitting the other tower. Although I had seen footage of this fool continuing to read "My Pet Goat" after being informed "America is under attack", I had never seen a close up of his expression and it was scary. This guy seemed to have no clue whatsoever as to how to respond and frankly it scares me to think that there is someone that incompetent in the white house at the moment.

You can quibble about minute facts if you want but the over all flavor of the movie is entirely accurate. Watching Bush's big business pals talk about all the money they're going to make when "that oil starts flowing" makes it clear that in addition to the corrupt (and illegal) contracts Bush and Cheney cut with Haliburton that this entire regime is just a "snatch and grab" operation with our treasury and Iraq's oil being the targets.

I wouldn't call Bush's base broader especially since it consists mainly of right wing religious whackos and corporate crooks. Most of the people I know (including professed republicans) like Kerry and Edwards but then again most of the people I know actually look at the damage the bushies have done to this country and want it stopped. Kerry will have no problem getting people to vote for him in November.

We just have to watch the voting machines and how the votes are tabulated. Either of these can be changed by anyone with only basic programming skills. Read some of the articles on "blackboxvoting.com" if you don't believe me. They include input from a variety of computer scientists who have studied the situation.

Last but not least Iraq is very possibly the worst military decision ever made by an American Government for just about every reason.

Hugs,

Betty
  • July 9, 2004 6:52 PM BST
    I wouldn't want to disappoint.
    • 1083 posts
    July 9, 2004 11:49 PM BST
    If Bush loses, it won't be due to Mr. Moore.

I don't see Kerry winning it so much as Bush losing the election.

I personally think Mr. Moore is an idiot...and I understand both sides of the issues his movie brings.

Betty, Stevie: Dears, I hate to say this--

But you're both right.

Luv 'h hugs,

Mina Sakura
    "Almost-Angel, T-Girl Genius, and Ultra-Flirt"
  • July 10, 2004 12:42 AM BST
    Hi Mina:

It's been a while. I guess I can handle being partially right although in my infinite wisdom I tend to believe I'm completely right(lol). But then don't we all.

This is off the subject but since we discussed the HRC and ENDA a while back I think you'll appreciate this.

It so happens that today I hear a knock on the door which I believe to be a friend of ours dropping by. Since she has seen me at my worst I thought nothing of answering the door looking like a drown rat in my old terry robe. To my surprise it was a perky young guy stating he was from the Human Rights Campaign.

So I say "oh the HRC. The very same HRC that left gender identity and expression off the ENDA bill"? He then said he didn't know anything about that. Then Morwen comes to the door <lmao>. Now if you know My Little Owl she can talk on a subject for hours while pulling up facts and dates faster than a computer accessing a database. At this point I believed the situation to be in good hands so I just went back to work. Needless to say the HRC gentleman got a real education after about an hour with Morwen. He stated that he had never been told anything about this issue and Morwen said "you won't be". He parted on friendly terms a little wiser then before.

I thought you might appreciate the story.

BTW, thank you for your nice comments about our radio station. We're increasing our internet speed over the weekend and hope to be doing some live talk shows shortly. "Oh dear" the Morwen and Betty comedy hour!

Politically speaking Morwen makes me look mellow.<lol>

Hugs,

Betty
    • 539 posts
    August 2, 2004 12:46 AM BST
    I saw this film on opening night, and it was about as I had expected: it was right on with some points, and some elements of it were exaggerated; others have covered it well previously.

I do find one aspect of this film interesting: I cannot think of another case of a film attacking a sitting president being so popular. In a way, this is a sad situation; it shows how divided our country has become. It seems that people either love the president or hate him; there is not much middle ground. (I find myself firmly in the camp of those who hate his guts.) Hopefully, one day the White House will be occupied by a less polarizing figure.

There was a time when the president was a respected figure - respected even by those who voted for his opponent. This began to fall apart while I was growing up, perhaps starting with the Watergate scandal, but that sense of respect was still present. Today, it is gone. The president is only respected by those who support him. It will be up to future presidents to regain the respect of the general public; Bush will never accomplish that. It is only in an ugly political climate such as this that a movie like Fahrenheit 9/11 can be so popular.

Heather H.
  • June 30, 2004 12:50 AM BST
    As usual with Moore, a lot of things in his movie aren't factual. He often brings up one issue, then shows clips of Bush discussing an entirely different issue, just to make him look bad. Of course, it's edited so that many casual viewers won't recognize Moore's propaganda for what it is. I've always held a very negative opinion of Michael Moore, not necessarily for his extremely leftist political views, but because his tactics are dishonest, and he takes cheap shots at easy targets, rather than trying to explain why he thinks communism is so great.

Having said that about Moore, I agree that the USA is in need of some serious budget cutting, and consistent domestic leadership, in general. I certainly don't think John Kerry and the Democrats are the answer, but Bush leaves quite a bit to be desired, domestically. With regard to foreign policy, specifically Afghanistan and Iraq, I think he's done quite well.
  • July 1, 2004 12:13 AM BST
    Moore's films sometimes stir up controversy, but it's usually controversy about him, not the politicians, so I don't see Moore having any influence on the election.

Kerry's main problem is that he's having a hard time getting people to vote for him. The Democrats have to count on a lot of people voting against Bush, so that Kerry will get their votes by default. Bush, on the other hand, has a broader base of support, so his main goal will be to not drive away his current supporters between now and November. Unless something strange happens bewtween now and then, I think Bush will be re-elected, but I doubt that he will win by a landslide.
  • July 9, 2004 1:51 AM BST
    I knew I'd get a response from you, Betty!