In Memorium.

• 734 posts
    September 15, 2009 9:17 PM BST
    Two sad events on one sad day.

First, a person who should be still with us. An icon of hard work, dedication and pure good looks. Patrick Swayze (August 18, 1952 – September 14, 2009). Passed on at the age of 57. Just one year younger than my Mum on her demise. So I can say with personal authority, way too young and so much potential left fallow. Who can forget - don't you dare! - his two most watched and loved films: Dirty Dancing and Ghost. You can rest assured I'll be revisiting those over the coming week and thanking Patrick for bringing so much pleasure into my life.

Secondly, well probably far better known to a UK populace of a certain age. A man with incredible flair, personality, charm and a knack for cooking. Keith Floyd (28 December, 1943 - 14 September, 2009), who else? The father of modern UK TV chefs, he gave us a fresh way of looking at food. The guy that told us that approximation and experimentation was just fine. A guy whose face was as lived in as his liver. And whose programmes helped hook me into cooking.

Two geniuses in their own very different professions.

Much love to them both, they gave me a lot.

Rae xx