Gay bar violates crossdressers' HR

• 2573 posts
    September 22, 2009 7:42 AM BST
    http://www.nbcchicago.com[...]57.html

An Illinois gay bar created an unusual human rights violation when it instituted an ID-must-match-the-gender-you-are-dressed-as requirement. In this case, transsexuals with gender-matching ID had no problem and neither did gay, lesbian, hetero customers. The group that was discriminated against was cross-dressers and other transgenders whose ID matches their birth sex. The ACLU has indicated that it IS discrimination. The bar has said it is trying to find a solution. They required it to keep prostitutes out of the bar and protect their liquor license.

It is a situation that could be beneficial as it shows that even gay businesses cannot discriminate against GLBT persons.
    • 2017 posts
    September 22, 2009 12:51 PM BST
    I can't imagine ever entering any bar that required me to show an ID in the first place. There are plenty of others to go to.

Nikki
    • 1652 posts
    September 22, 2009 4:12 PM BST
    How bizarre. You’d think owners of a gay bar would have a better understanding of prejudice and discrimination.
    Can’t see how demanding gender-matched ID would keep out prostitutes anyway; apart from the tranny ones of course. Do they really have a problem with transvestite prostitutes?
    Or do they just not like trannies?

Next time I visit the States I'd better carry some ID and a photo of my genitals...
    xx
    • 2573 posts
    September 22, 2009 4:23 PM BST
    Lucy,

ROTFLMAO.
    • 2627 posts
    September 22, 2009 6:45 PM BST
    There's a bar in Detroit where they had a bad time with TV's working the parking lot. Police every weekend, people getting robbed, TV's being set up & beat'en. They had to hire full time security to watch the lot.
    But trannys have allways been welcome inside. Thier a big part of why some people go there.
    • 40 posts
    September 23, 2009 2:22 AM BST
    There used to be agay bar in Bloomington,IN USA called "Bullwinkles" that asked for ID but only for the 21 age rule.
    TS and transseuals was welcomed there all the time and the bar was open for about twenty years. It was the
    best gay bar that I ever went to. It was close to the Indiana University campus and I taught alot of straight
    and gay people that went there. I also did drag there and my stage name was "Ruby Falls"