jayne and annie

• 734 posts
    November 14, 2009 7:30 PM GMT
    Thanks for the reminder hunni!

I did mail something to Katie when she set up the forum for me. It never found its way in and - tbh - I'd forgotten about it. I don't think my magic Harry Potter powers will let me amend it - but I'll have a look. Failing that I'll mail Katie again or maybe Nikki...

Thanks xx

[NB: Intro thread now amended to include simple codes].
  • October 28, 2009 9:00 PM GMT
    you have to come on this journey with me to understand, actually I'm still not sure I understand everything.....or possibly, anything! I met Jayne, at work, we were just colleagues, i was 44, happilly married, she was 24. Just a workmate, but we "shared" a lot...oh no, not in THAT way...she just had an "openess'' about her...she was fun to be around....to be a friend. Anyhow, Jayne fell in love with "mr right" and because of problems with her family, who disapproved moved into rented accommodation in Albemarle Street for a few weeks before her wedding. All of us were happy for her....one or two of us were jealous of her future husband....told u, 20 years too old. Besides, he was heir to a Greek shipping fortune....daddy was extremely wealthy....at 27, he never needed or had to "work" again, unlike us other plebs at the office. Anyhow, a lot of this is heresay stuff Jayne told me after work, chilling out in the pub before i trundled on the Tube back to Watford to mrs and kids....i always had a drink before going home.....NO...not i needed one...just relax, after work, catch a later, less crowded train, and arrive home to kiss the kids goodnight and have a few hours with my wife.
    Anyhow a few of us from work helped Jayne move to 23 Albermarle Street in the East End, it was a reasonably new 4 storey flat complex......i guess americans would call it apartment....but, at least it had a lift.....which made taking Jaynes "stuff" up to the third floor easier...especially as an overweight 44-yr-old broker! Anyhow, me, and a few other old guys from work helped Jayne move in...I think we were all happy for her too....perhaps some of us wished for more...lets say all of us.....!
    Anyhow, Jayne told me she met a guy called John on the ground floor, he had, apparently taken the basement flat, and they met, as she was going up, and he was going down....i remember her saying, "It was really sweet, he said Fair maid, its more important you rise the the 3rd floor than me to descend to the basement, less stairs, for me"...he was SUCH a gentleman, she said. I remember saying to her, you fancy him, to be met with a laugh and "good god NO...hes in his 40s".....I can't tell you how I felt after that, but i may have had another large Whisky before going back to Watford.
    Anyhow over the following few days, John took in her mail, took it up to her flat, fended off unwanted suiters from the office...lol...not me...i was on way back to Watford! She said he took in a bottle of wine for her...the lift was out of order, so the wine merchant found it easier to deliver to the basement rather than walk up 3 flights of stairs...."Jay....(sorry, thats me) you wouldn't believe it...i opened the door, it was John, with a fine brandy from my fiancee, i invited him in to share.....and u WILL never believe it...he said yes...but I will leave the door open so no-one thinks anything untoward is going on here"...my god, SO old fashioned, don't you think.....?" i think I hated john from then on....but I realise now, for the wrong reasons.

TO BE CONTINUED
    • 1017 posts
    October 29, 2009 12:45 AM GMT
    Hi Maryanne,

Thanks for posting the beginning of your story to the Creative Writing Forum. Don't know where you are going with it, but that's half the fun. Interesting group of characters you have assembled. Looking forward to future installments.

Best,
    Melody
    • 734 posts
    October 29, 2009 3:13 AM GMT
    Hey,
    I'll ditto Melodys post.
    A very teasing intro. Interesting style - and I mean that in a positive way! Use of ellipsis etc. good characterisation. You've started a narrative that has a very wide potential for conflict and I happily accept your promise of more...

xx
    • 2627 posts
    October 29, 2009 3:35 AM GMT
    M/A that actually is a good start. Looking forward to more.
  • October 29, 2009 10:01 PM GMT
    Thanks for the encouragement.....must admit I'm not too sure where its going either! Part Two, next weds.
    • 734 posts
    October 29, 2009 11:42 PM GMT
    Lol, not uncommon M/A!
    It would help you though, if not already done, to consider the ending. That way - no matter the middle journey - you know where you're aiming to get to...

xx
  • November 4, 2009 8:47 PM GMT
    The next few days were very hectic at work. We had been taken over by a much larger rival, and although our positions were safe there was a lot of integrating their systems and ours. It was time-consuming, frustrating and brought on a few short tempers, especially from some of us that had got quite stale and comfortable with the way things were. Jayne was a god-send, she showed many of us the easy way of doing things, young mind, I think. By Wednesday I decided our new masters wouldn't mind me raiding petty cash and took everyone to dinner after work. One or two of the guys were heard to mutter "how the hell we going do do without Jayne. I know she heard because she turned quite red at one point. I wasn't going to compound her embarrassment by telling her I agreed with them. She sat opposite me and told me she was looking forward to her wedding in Paris......"On Saturday 6th September, 1988, I will be Mrs Jayne Thakadorian"....I remember asking her if she was practicing to write that, and I don't think I was surprised by "oh EVERY night, Jay," her bright blue eyes full of love. I felt a tap on my shoulder and heard "hi Jay, thought I'd find you here." It was Annie. If jayne was naive and hopeful, Annie had "lived" a bit! She was an old schoolfriend of my wife, so I guess I became friend by proxy. She sat beside me and I introduced her to the people at our table. I think Jayne was a little curious on just how 'friendly' Annie and I were but was soon enlightened when I asked "So, what brings you to London, then." As I signalled the waiter to bring more drinks Annie answered "Another bloody divorce, this time I kept his money and dumped his name" and burst out laughing. I was shocked, I didn't know she had got married, though young Jayne just looked a little bemused. "I'm plain old Annie Chapman again." she said. A colleague whispered in my ear and we both left to help an inebriated workmate to a cab. By the time i returned Annie and Jayne were deep in conversation. I was a little surprised to learn that they were going to Jayne's for brandy and I was expected to join them. Although I never said it, I thought perhaps I'll meet this John character! The flat was quite small, sparsely decorated, I suppose as it was only temporary Jayne felt no need to cover the plain walls. She poured Annie and I a large drink and I was sitting there thinking how different they both were as the girls chatted away. I declined a second drink, and before I could thank her Annie interrupted with "I'll have another, I can't afford this on my salary!" Jayne was actually aghast when she asked what she did for a living. "I read books....well proofread, edit and check that details are correct.....it can be quite interesting". By the time I put on my coat to leave they were chatting about Annies job and love-life, as I'd heard it all.....MANY times before...I yelled a goodbye and left. I was halfway to the station thinking the nights got cold when I realised I should have called on John to check him out. I was too tired to bother with going back and was pleased an hour later be home in the warm. The following day I woke with a sore throat and eyes and decided to ring in sick.....I had a good team at work....it could cope without me for a while. Jayne answered the phone, listened to my tale of woe (ok, I did exagerate a bit) and was confident she could cope, as I knew she could. She did say "You will be well enough for my leaving party tomorrow won't you." I promised I would. My wife reminded me I had to be well enough for the weekend as we had promised to take the children to her mother. The chances of me getting out of that were impossible. Friday evening we all met at the pub, I gave a small speach, told Jayne how much we would miss her and wished her all the luck in the world for the future. We gave her a small present to remember us by. As she was going, she leant across and kissed me, "thanks Jay"....."for what"......"oh Annie, of course, she's taking over my flat." I think I said 'great' or something. "Shes not had a lot of luck with men, has she...." I shook my head, smiling as she continued ...."I'll see if I can change that!" and she was gone. I quite enjoyed the weekend away, managed to shake off my cold and returned to the office on Monday. It was, yet another hectic day. By the time I got home, had tea, read the kids a story, it was gone 10 before I realised I hadn't rung Annie to wish her well in her new home. She sounded tired, I told her so...."oh Jay, its been a long day, I got a couple more pages of this damn book to read." I offered to ring off, she said "No, it can wait 'till the morning....sod it..." and laughed. I heard the muffled sound of her doorbell...."hold on Jay"....I heard her open the door.....brief mutterings and her pick up the phone "Oh Jay, that little minx has sent a bottle of brandy to John and asked him to welcome me to the block"...."be good" I said. "Do me best" she said giggling. As she put the phone down i heard her say "you pour, I'll shut the door." As I got into bed that night I smiled at the thought I felt sorry for John.

TO BE CONTINUED
  • November 4, 2009 11:12 PM GMT
    It was 8.30 the next morning when I entered Annie's flat. I noticed that the walls had been decorated. I instinctively knew it was not paint. I will spare you the details, as I spared myself....I kept my eyes firmly focused about 4 feet from the carpeted floor. I had been wakened by loud knocking on my door at 6 am by two policemen. They informed me of what had happened and asked me to accompany them to London to identify the 'body'. I was numb. I was able to satisfy them that indeed it was Annie, but I was pleased I had not had breakfast. I gave them all the details I knew, which turned out to be precious little. They asked me to check out the flat with them to see if I could see anything untoward. In spite of me insisting I had only been there once, they were firm in their request. My eyes caught the edge of Annie's desk, as I walked towards it I heard one of the constables say "You must be mistaken, there is no John in this block.....and no basement flat, either." My hand reached out and turned over the last page of the book she had been editing. I heard the other policeman talking on his radio "Sarge, Annie Chapman of 23 Albemarle Street was found brutally murdered on the 8th September 1988 by persons unknown......." I was in a dream.....NO....a nightmare......because as he spoke the words I could hear, , my eyes were reading the last page of "Tales of Old London" and they leapt off the page at me....."on September 8th 1888 Annie Chapman was found brutally murdered at 23 Albemarle Street, Whitechapel, the 3rd victim of Jack the......." I think that's when I passed out.
    I never told Jayne, of course. Such things couldn't happen in her world. In the early years I often blamed myself for ringing Annie that night....perhaps she would have finished the manuscript and fled the flat....or perhaps, not answer the door. I don't know, i guess I'll never know..

Anyhow dear reader, it may seem odd to retell this tale after 20 odd years but I felt if any of you buy "Tales of Old London"......the new, revised 2009 edition is out now. Chapter 13 "Gruesome Murders in Albemarle St" has been removed and replaced with a far more gruesome story from 2003. But the publishers have not removed the dedication on page 3 "dedicated to both Annie Chapman RIP" which makes no sense now the story has been removed. A good Editor like Annie wouldn't have made an error like that.would she?

THE (most definite) END
    • 1017 posts
    November 4, 2009 11:20 PM GMT
    Hi Maryanne,

Bravo!

What a totally unexpected twist ending. I can only compare it to O. Henry or Rod Serling which is about as high a praise as I'm able to give.

Please don't let this be your last story....

Best,
    Melody

• 734 posts
    November 13, 2009 1:50 AM GMT
    M/A
    Apols for the delay! But, in mitigation. I wanted to take a little time to re-read and consider your piece.
    Thoroughly thoroughly enjoyed the work. Especially - where do I start? - the characterisation, the impeccable plot twist, the deliberate placing of clues - I rather suspect you had a better idea of the plot than you let on after the first post - the use of names ie Jack is a derivative of John, etc etc.
    Pretty cool.
    Thankyou for the way you posted. Each post is about 600 words long give or take. I appreciate it may not have been deliberate, but - when longish posts are being made - it should be noted that breaking the work down this way gives the reader more natural breaks. In this format anyway. So, a good call...
    I'd estimate that the complete piece wouldn't give you much change from 2000 words. Not a bad length at all. However, I can see this being a very intriguing short story. Say, about 8-10000 words. I would love to see you rework this in that manner, certainly possible.
    Now, this is the hard bit. I want to tell you how I felt about the piece after reading it all. Please read my comments completely as I just know it's going to sound like a very cack-handed compliment. Bear with me.
    My first impression was: cool. Then I was hit by an overwhelming sense of 'this is so familiar. Where have I read that story before?' followed by: 'Is it really original?'. Now, assuming it is original, [of course], before you have a heart attack. I'll temper those comments by the fact I get this feeling whenever I read something very good and very enjoyable. I have read many novels by well known authors and had that same feeling. I've come to associate it with something different. [I just think it's my subconscious at work]. I almost expected a 'ha ha! I copied it from here...' type post. [Told you it'd be a cack-handed compliment!].
    I'll try to redeem myself with a personal anecdote. Some years ago I submitted my first play to my local theatre. It just happened to be the UK's main producing theatre. I didn't expect a reply. I duly got one. The Literary Director also invited me to a meeting. Very unusual. As we chatted it transpired that she was determined to meet me. Having read her Readers report and then my work, she was convinced I was one of her stable of writers testing her! She just couldn't believe that was my inaugral play.
    That said, you've thrown me back in time - in more than one perspective - and I feel like she must have done. [Typo's and some errors aside - it ain't all good news girl] I'm left with the impression that you've a bit of a writing history. And if you haven't - you should have.
    Top marks hunni, hope you embrace this...

x
    • 871 posts
    November 13, 2009 1:24 PM GMT
    That was great MA! I really enjoyed it. xxx
  • November 14, 2009 5:41 PM GMT
    Thanks Rae, whole idea of "creative writing" is feedback. I'll ignore the plagiarize hint (Collins printers and authors dictionary spelling, 1973) I would have used an "s"...lol. Posting size, imho internet generation get bored on long posts. It's nice to see book production going up in UK so there's still hope. I did cut back quite a bit.....it may have been better to expand on annies' past and Jaynes' present/future. I'll call it the Readers Digest version. First part...yes i had the end in mind....took 10 minutes.....middle took a week. It's odd what you can make up when your stuck at work on a long print job. Whole idea was trying to stay out of other forums which I feel a bit unwelcome in these days. Got a bit close with the "done this before" bit......was published poet (in a VERY small way) a lifetime ago! Annie Chapman was real tho...3rd victim of jack the ripper. Believe it, or not, a mentor at the monastery I was in in 1968 took a few of us on a "ripper" tour.....many of the places were still standing then. Then 3 of us got expelled from the monastery....i seem to remember it was due to Strongbow Cider, some interesting cigarettes and playing "America" in the style of The Nice on the church organ at 3 am. The typos...i'll put that down to time factor and this stupid qwerty keyboard....I was much better on this
    http://www.linotype.20m.c[...]o1.html
    • 871 posts
    November 14, 2009 5:46 PM GMT
    Was that your 1st desk top PC ma?
  • November 14, 2009 5:54 PM GMT
    Melody...thanks love. Am ashamed to say I had to google O Henry, heard of Rod Serling tho....we did get Outer Limits and Twilight Zone here...lol. Not too hot on US authors, read a little of Steinbeck, more know Poe from the Roger Corman, Hammer films of late 50s, early 60s movies. I was fortunate enough to have Gloria from this site take me to the Poe House and visit his grave 2 years ago, when in Baltimore. I did, unfortunately, let myself down when we passed the Babe Ruth museum, and asked who he was.I am sincerely sorry America, but wtf limey trannies know, eh?
    • 1017 posts
    November 14, 2009 6:03 PM GMT
    Hi Maryanne,

Gee, I thought everyone knew that Babe Ruth is a candy bar -lol.

Best,
    Melody
    • 734 posts
    November 14, 2009 7:01 PM GMT
    Lol, M/A, told you it'd be an awkwardly phrased cack-handed compliment! [Didn't mean to infer plagiarism ].
    Monastry? Girl, you've clearly led an intriguing life ...
    As for a welcome here at CW, not only will I hold the door open for you, but will personally usher you to the comfy sofa. (Which, incidently, is reserved for the sole use of top posters!).
    Feedback is important. I think I've said somewhere else here that - at the moment - I'm keeping my comments fairly broadbrush. The reason for that is because people will be at varying levels and posting for various reasons. I will, shortly, amend the Intro thread to include advice on how to post. I want to put in place a simple system where we can see at a glance what people are looking for. For example, one person may just be looking to share their work and not wish for feedback, someonelse may be hoping for more detailed constructive criticism. Others may prefer feedback to be PM'd and not placed in a public forum. What I intend to do is create a simple series of code letters that can be put in the thread header. That way everyone can see what the poster is after.
    Would be interested to see some of your poetry...

x
    • 1017 posts
    November 14, 2009 7:11 PM GMT
    Hi Rae,

Speaking of Creative Writing Forum business: Can CW get some sort of explanatory blurb on the TW Forums listing? Seems like it should have more than just the forum name. (Easy to go right past it, even if you are looking for it - especially if your eyesight is as bad as mine...)

Best,
    Melody
    • 1017 posts
    November 14, 2009 7:45 PM GMT
    Hi Rae,

The category initials look good to me.

May I make a (sort of) addition? If you don't use any of the codes, you are up for whatever the admin and readers want to respond, however they want to convey it.

(Some of us never did like coloring within the lines...)

Best,
    Melody
    • 734 posts
    November 14, 2009 7:54 PM GMT
    Good thinking. Your wish, as they say, is my command. I shall totter off and add that little codicil forthwith...

xx
    • 1017 posts
    November 14, 2009 10:00 PM GMT
    Hi Maryanne,

The linotype link reminded me of my youth. My father worked for newspapers for many years and he'd sometimes take me to the Berkeley Gazette building where I watched the typesetters at work (back in the days of metal type, circa 1960.)

One of my many jobs over the years was as an assistant on a letterpress machine. We mostly printed menus for hospitals and rest homes.

Thanks for bringing back those memories...
    Melody
  • November 14, 2009 10:48 PM GMT
    rae i was very young....15...two of my poems were accepted in "anthology of modern verse" edited by roger mcgough (scaffold)...showing me age..i got automatically enrolled in writers guild because "i was published"...ten quid...i guess j k rowling earned a bit more....but at 15...shoulder-length haired guy.....was cute tranny..trust me i went along to local writers meeting..all published....and wen a 46 yr old man criticised my poetry....i was appalled..took the stuffing out of me...i think...know believe...he sold 7 copies of lace making in bedfordshire...ergo...he was better than me...i was a kid....i aint now./..lol
  • November 14, 2009 11:00 PM GMT
    oh melody I remember the "tea ladies" coming around at 10 am and all the lino ops would buy a sausage roll, meat pie or cornish pastie.......you left it on the pot till 12 to warm it up.....lol
    ......this cold computer typesetting dont warm yer pies....does it?
  • November 14, 2009 11:14 PM GMT
    not too sure I'd go into a 7-11 and ask for a babe ruth bar
  • November 14, 2009 11:29 PM GMT
    dont worry about getting chucked out the monstery....that was only for life,,,,,Italy kicked me out for 10 years.."personna non grata" on me passport....i mean...i was only there 3 hours before they shot at me....i do hope that poor little policeman is ok
    • 1017 posts
    November 14, 2009 11:31 PM GMT
    Hi Maryanne,

My favorite part of the visits to the typesetting room was they'd give me the molds that the daily comic strips and editorial cartoons were cast in (I was always a big comics fan.) Wish I still had them today...

Best,
    Melody