Skirt Boys in Japan Fashion

• 2627 posts
    October 29, 2009 12:09 PM GMT
    Skirts in fashion for men in Japan

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/md[...]0c.html
    • 2017 posts
    October 29, 2009 3:01 PM GMT
    Interesting Karen. I actually don't see it as crossdressing at all. It's simply choosing to wear a particular garment, regardless of which gender it was intended for. The same with heels, guys have been wearing heels for years, for the same reason, they like the look. I think particularly in warmer climates, a skirt makes a more sensible choice over anything else. Hence the sarong, which is worn by both genders.

(Though why a cold, wet place like Scotland ever came up with the kilt is beyond me)! lol

Nikki
    • 1195 posts
    October 29, 2009 11:17 PM GMT
    Good point Nikki
    As for Scotland and Ireland and the kilts - who knows but since their way of life many years ago was fishing in the sea it's anybody's guess as to why the fishermen didn't wear any garments such as pants or skirts - go figure.
    I'm sure there was a reason- they were a hearty bunch.
    hugs
    Gracie

PS I'm sure they took care of their "bits and pieces."
    • 157 posts
    October 30, 2009 12:26 AM GMT
    Interesting fashion statement for sure, but without the identification with one's feminine side it's not the same reason I crossdress. That being said, the casual observer probably wouldn't make that distintion.

Jeri
    • 2017 posts
    October 30, 2009 5:50 PM GMT
    The idea behind the skirt boys is that is isn't crossdressing, they're just choosing to wear a particular item. I think the majority of public in the Western world wouldn't distinguish between that and cross dressing however, despite the prevalance of kilts which are already in our society. Perhaps because they tend to only be used on particular occasions rather than for daily use.

I'm all for this, why shouldn't people wear what pleases them? Who cares if it's actually 'boys' or 'girls' clothing?

Nikki
    • 1017 posts
    October 30, 2009 7:28 PM GMT

I wonder if some the reason behind the "Skirt Tribe" is rooted in Japanese society. In a very, very conformist society it's easy to get a rise out of the powers that be by defying the expected conformity.

Similar stories show up in the news here in the US every few years and nobody pays much attention except the conservative loony commentators who of course see it as the harbinger of the end of civilization as we know it.

Best,
    Melody
    • 364 posts
    October 30, 2009 8:44 PM GMT
    Having lived in Scotland for about ten years (including National Service), my friends assured me the kilt was very warm (plenty of material in them).
    • 157 posts
    October 31, 2009 12:04 AM GMT
    Melody

I agree with your statement that the "conservative loony commentators" see pretty much everything that other people do is "the harbinger of the end of civilization as we know it" . I was going to say things out of the mainstream but heck the hyper conservatives aren't main stream - they are a vocal minority that I swear some people just enjoying poking with a stick to get a reaction.

Any way - what ever they are against I figure could actually be a good idea.

Jeri
    • 1017 posts
    October 31, 2009 12:47 AM GMT
    Hi Jeri,

Yeah, Limbaugh, Hannity and Beck's beliefs (if they are nuts enough to actually believe what they say instead of just advocating them because there are enough idiots out there who they can make a buck off of) are a pretty good bellwether of what a Liberal (I think Progressives are wimps) should oppose.

But you have to be careful. There was a "right wing nut", Joe Pine, on Los Angeles radio and TV years ago who I thought was a complete Bozo, but he totally surprised me by doing the first pro-environmental TV special I ever saw. I still opposed the Viet Nam war, supported racial intregration and thought the "mutually assured destruction" build up of nuclear weapons was madness, but I had to (begrudgingly) realize that he was not totally wrong and was a real human being.

Likewise, I can't think of anything Barry Goldwater ever advocated that I could in any way support, but the man is a personal hero of mine. A politician who risked his own life to save a drowning person and once she was safe left without any attempt to take any credit or make any political points from his bravery.

Best,
    Melody

ps, To my conservative friends, I don't think Overman and Maddow are more sane than the above, I just happen to agree with them...
    • 2573 posts
    October 31, 2009 7:39 AM GMT
    "Cross-dressers are people who want to be girls. I'm not wearing this because it's what girls wear, but because I like the line and the texture of the material."

Don't ask, don't tell?

The skirt does not carry the same social reputation in Japan as in the West. Many martial artists today wear a hakama, a split skirt (similar to culottes) or an unsplit skirt, though not on the street. It makes a wonderful, comfortable, leisure bottom for around the house and yard, btw
    http://www.japanesekimono[...]nts.htm

Only 140 yrs ago, Samurai, carrying 4 foot razor blades (katana), could, should and would cut your head off, in a heartbeat, for laughing at them, or calling them feminine, in similar outfits.

http://images.google.com/[...]6um%3D1