Does Age Matter?

• 456 posts
    December 10, 2009 12:04 AM GMT
    Ok I am reaching a milestone in the next week. I can apply for a free bus pass and get one as I will 60. I can't believe it. Tina will be 60. I don't feel it but it is one of those milestones which comes to us all - if we live long enough. I don't feel old but some people think I am and this is having an effect on me. Perhaps I need to get out and have a really good party to blow those cobwebs away - any takers.

What do you think does age have any effect on the way we see oursekves and often on the way we behave?
    • 1017 posts
    December 10, 2009 12:16 AM GMT
    Hi Tina,

I'm not far behind you, I'll hit the big six zero a couple of months before you get to 61. This side of the pond, we don't even get a free bus pass!

Happy Birthday!

Best,
    Melody
    • 746 posts
    December 10, 2009 12:36 AM GMT
    Darn Tina...

I'm 59, look in my 40s, and behave like a 16 yr. old hormonal girl at times...it's all in your head...don't let them tell you any differently! Take the free bus pass and spend your new found money on something pretty to wear!

Traci xxx
    • 308 posts
    December 10, 2009 5:34 AM GMT
    Hi Tina,
    I went through that also when I hit 60, I am 63 now, but I went through a major depression that had to be sorted out, with a new direction for my life, that's a whole story in it's self.

One thing for sure, the girls that I still hang out with party all nite, yes they are younger. I had to make up my mind that I cannot stay out till the sun starts to rise, no more after parties etc, just cannot handle that type of partying, and I don't drink.

So in other words for me, age does matter in that area, I had to adjust. Although I still do quite a few things that I did when I was younger, when I get tired, I go home. Although it helps my ego, when I meet new people they cannot believe I am that old, but that is with the help of a surgeons knife, all truths to be said.

So to some it up, age is a number, if you are up to it, take that free pass and go out on the town.
    Huggs...Tammy
    • 364 posts
    December 10, 2009 6:22 AM GMT
    Hi Young Girls

It depends on you. Think young and keep reasonably fit. I walk many kilometres during the week and drink in moderation. Recently returned from a holiday in Vietnam and China with plenty of walking and climbing. Planning next year's holiday. If you are single,like me, get out of the house as much as possible and watch the world go by.
    • 2017 posts
    December 10, 2009 2:56 PM GMT
    Age is just a number unless you allow it to dictate your life. Sure, physically, you may not be able to do things that you could do in your 20's or 30's but you would be surprised at just how fit the body can keep itself, (and therefore young). the only difference in age for me has been that I am a little slower in running, i.e. it takes me an additional 10 - 12 minutes to complete a half marathon these days. Not bad for 45 though. Eat healthy, keep in shape, and enjoy life. You really are as young as you feel so don't stop doing something just because of your age.

Nikki
    • 530 posts
    December 10, 2009 7:00 PM GMT
    I'm forty-fourteen. (That's 54 to us blondes)

The mind's fourteen. The body has aged a bit more.

It's true, things have slowed down a bit, as has the endurance, and like the song it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night, but as long as you think young, and keep your mind and body active you'll be as young as you feel.

OMG, take the bib off, pass the zimmer and set the SatNav for the shortest route up Everest! (Oxygen optional).
    • 1980 posts
    December 12, 2009 4:51 PM GMT
    I turned 62 this past July, I don't thing chronological age has anything to do with how you feel about yourself. I go out and am myself whenever I please. Perhaps I'm fortunate, a combination of genetics and trying to take care of myself (though not fanatical about it) but I do look at least a decade younger than my real self. Most people guess my age in the late forties or early fifties. Counting my blessings.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 1912 posts
    December 12, 2009 6:25 PM GMT
    I recently turned 51 without any fanfare. Honestly I give my age little thought now except maybe when I get a shocked response when I tell people I have a 30 year old daughter. For the most part people tell me I look like I'm in my late 30's which is cool. Whether true or not, I think looking younger is a sign of feeling healthier. I can't say I try and do things younger people do, such as clubbing. Fashion wise, I do try to dress fashionable for a mature woman, maybe a little too conservative for some. I just try to be myself.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 456 posts
    December 12, 2009 11:35 PM GMT
    Thanks for the support girls - I think I agree with you - what the heck - age does not matter as ypou can see from the latest pics I'm still fairly presentable - I think. Age does not matter - you are the age you feel rahter than the age someone says you are.
    • 9 posts
    December 14, 2009 8:25 AM GMT
    I too am sometimes paranoid about my age. I'm 63 next April, but like most of us feel a good deal less. I was astonished when reading the contributions on this topic how many of the girls were about the same age as me. I'm fairly lucky that in my 'other' life I have no wrinkles, but my hair is all grey.
    One thing more, I don't remember ever seeing photographs of T-girls where they didn't look younger than their declared age.
    • 746 posts
    December 14, 2009 5:40 PM GMT
    C'mon Adele...do you really think we'd put up the frumpy pix??? LOL Thank gawd for digital photography!
    Traci
    • 364 posts
    December 14, 2009 7:55 PM GMT
    HRT the fountain of youth LOL
  • January 3, 2010 9:52 PM GMT
    I'm 57 but when I'm dressed i feel like I'm 30. Sometimes when I feel the years coming I subtract the number of years it was since I first dressed. In My case 9 so I am 48. Still up there but better than 57.
    Hugs....Samantha
    • 1083 posts
    January 5, 2010 10:21 PM GMT
    Ladies--

I just turned 45. So I know a few of you have a few years on me. However, I have learned well from a few of you:

One: Laugh. A lot.

Two: I will never be as old as I feel at 3:30 in the morning; dirt isn't that old.

Three: It has been said--and I believe it with every fibre of my being--that growing old ain't for sissies. (Attributed to Bette Davis)

Four: Few persons know how to be old. (La Rochefoucauld)

Five: You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old. (George Burns)

Six: I have always felt that a woman has the right to treat the subject of her age with ambiguity until, perhaps, she passes into the realm of over ninety. Then it is better she be candid with herself and with the world. (Helena Rubenstein)

Seven: I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap. (Bob Hope)

Finally...You are only as old as the hunk you're feeling.

Tina, dear, you look fabulous. I should look so good in 15 years, though by then I'll have a wig with silver highlights.

Luv 'n hugs to you,

Mina