Silly old BBC upsets trannies

• 2127 posts
    February 6, 2010 11:27 AM GMT
    I was amazed yesterday, when I stumbled across this page about a survey the BBC is running to gain a deeper understanding into how the LGB community is portrayed across all their services.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blog[...]o.shtml

"LGB?" I thought. Surely there is a letter missing. Must be a typo. So I read on and it quickly became apparent that it wasn't an error and that the BBC had deliberately removed the "T" from LGBT.

The BBC's Head of Diversity, Amanda Rice, said, "The reason why we have chosen to look at LGB portrayal and not Trans is that the research is very much about sexual orientation as opposed to gender."

Well I don’t think that's good enough. I don't know about you but I feel left out, like I haven't been invited because I am a TG person. By leaving us out of this survey, the message the BBC is sending us is that they are not interested in how TG people are portrayed across their services. As usual, we don't count.

Take a look at the comments below the article on that page and you'll see that people are cross about this, including me.

Please take a few minutes to comment on this too (you'll have to register first but it's important). In this blog you are talking directly to BBC management so let's tell them that we do exist and that we need to be heard as much as the LGB's of this world.

Hugs, Katie
    • 2017 posts
    February 6, 2010 1:45 PM GMT
    Actually I am not upset over this but that's because I have always felt that we shouldn't be grouped together with LGB. That is a separate issue and not related to gender.

That's not to say that we also shouldn't be surveyed by the good old BBC to see if we are portrayed correctly but I for one welcome the separation of gender and sexuality issues. As one of the respondants says "All minority groupings are woefully unrepresentated in programming and it is time to address this."

But that doesn't mean we should all be put in the same boat or else the natural assumption by the public is that ours is also a sexual issue and being transgendered also means you MUST be gay, lesbian or bisexual.

I welcome the separation.

Nikki
    • 2127 posts
    February 6, 2010 1:52 PM GMT
    I'm not at all cross about being separated from the LGB's. It's the fact that the Beeb is not interested in us at all and has left us out completely that I'm upset about and so should we all.

Hugs, Katie
    • 1652 posts
    February 6, 2010 2:04 PM GMT
    “…the research is very much about sexual orientation as opposed to gender.”

LG and B all refer to types of sexual orientation, T does not.
    So we’re not being “left out” in a survey about sexual preferences. Transgender is not a sexual preference, it’s not a preference at all, it’s just something that does not apply to us in this case.
    I’m sure the BBC could consider how trans people are portrayed across their services though, and perhaps should. But if as they say they are concentrating on sexual preferences in this case then it’s right to leave out the T.
    xx
    • 2017 posts
    February 6, 2010 2:08 PM GMT
    To me it's no different than leaving out ethnic minority groups in this survey, it doesn't mean that there are being ignored, just that this particular piece of research isn't targeted at them.

Nikki
    • 2358 posts
    February 6, 2010 3:57 PM GMT
    One time we should be included in the LBGT, even if its to clarify our position we are not homo's in frocks. and irregardless of gender, we still have sexual preferences and orientation. I made a complaint to the BBC refering to our exclusion, under the sexual discrimination clause. Would have been a good chance to express how we relate to sex regarding our gender not as opposed to it.

Cristine
    • 1912 posts
    February 6, 2010 5:15 PM GMT
    Personally I am with Lucy and Nikki on this one, I don't even think we should be part of the LGBT. I believe that association along with the term transsexual, continues to feed the perverted stereotypes which make being transgendered primarily a sexual thing. Therefore if the primary focus of the story was about sexual orientation, then we had no business being included.

Many of my closest friends are gay or lesbian, and I support their rights just as much as ours. However, the only thing we have in common is we are people.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2573 posts
    February 6, 2010 10:03 PM GMT
    Until people understand the reality that Birth Anomalies are a byproduct of a naturally occurring, sensitive, complex, evolutionary, mutated, genetic system they will fail to accept that LGBTQI persons are a product of chance. In this way they are no different than someone born with a deformed foot, a cleft palate, deaf, blind, low IQ, unattractive facial features, a hyper-efficiency at processing food ("fat"), autism, birthmarks, extra toes, conjoined twins and endless other anomalies that are the product of this amazing biochemical system. The rejection of some of these groups and acceptance of others as worthy of understanding and kindness is a result of ignorance placing us more in the category of cannibals or child molesters, whose issues are not congenital (as far as we know) but "choices". Our anomalous behavior is not the result of a readily seen physical anomaly but of more-hidden differences that science has only begun to be able to demonstrate. In many cases, acceptance would require the dismissal of lovingly held, chosen, belief systems of those people which THEY refuse to choose to abandon and, instead, require that we change from what is not chosen by us. We did not choose to be what we are any more than a deaf child does.

Perhaps the real issue here is NOT one of "should TG/TS persons be included". Perhaps it is one of why ALL of us with Birth Anomalies are not ALL grouped together. It is ONE social issue, not many. Equality, understanding, acceptance and respect for natural byproducts of a genetic system, that allowed humans to develop into the species that they are, is the issue here. The real problem is not us but the "others". Those who, due to genetic predisposition and cultural conditioning, find it difficult to accept those who are "different".
    • 1017 posts
    February 6, 2010 10:17 PM GMT
    Hi Wendy,

You express a view I've not heard before and certainly never thought of myself. I think you have it right, we (and "they") who have birth anomalies are all one group, just expressing with different results.

I worked with mentally challenged young adults in my first job as an eighteen year old college freshman. I always felt a bond with them, but didn't know what it was. I think, after forty years, you've explained it to me.

My respect for you seems to grow at an ever expanding rate...

Best,
    Melody
    • 1912 posts
    February 6, 2010 10:35 PM GMT
    Wendy you are quite right that we all have birth anomalies but that grouping just makes things worse. That makes it just that much more confusing and the fact is if it is too complicated people just don't want to know what it is about. That brings us back to when they don't want to know what it is about, how then can you ever expect them to understand what is going on with us? Confusing isn't it? And that is why society tends to simplify things and throw us in the same basket of sexual orientation as the gay and lesbian communities.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2068 posts
    February 7, 2010 1:49 AM GMT

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the BBC have behaved in this way, We don't need them cos we KNOW who we are. There's been some good comments here......well, i think so anyway.

Lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie

Trans & PROUD of it!
    • 734 posts
    February 7, 2010 2:25 AM GMT
    tbh, I haven't looked at the link. To be more honest, I care even less.
    Based solely on the Op I'm actually very glad the BBC hasn't included the T in with the L, the G and the B.
    But that is from my M2F viewpoint.
    Our world is about gender specifically and not sexual orientation. This is something that the over-reaching umbrella term of 'transgender' inadequately masks.
    Time to think up another more appropriate label...
    Rae.
    • 871 posts
    February 7, 2010 3:44 AM GMT
    My opinion is, that the BBC have singled out the LBG as a minority group and the LBG should be complaining that they have been targeted for treatment different than everyone else.

If the Beeb had of performed a survey that included everyone then no one would have reason to complain.

When will the ignorance stop!
    • 2573 posts
    February 7, 2010 9:13 AM GMT
    But, Marsha, they do not.
    The current sticking point seems to be with trans-people. Remember the uproar the last time ENDA went around? Including us ended up as a major block to its passage. Bathroom issues come up repeatedly. My points are that we point out that there is only ONE reason we are all the way we are; every subgroup of anomaly. We explain it once instead of fighting the same battle over and over for each group. Seeking separation can be a good thing, but not when it puts us in what is perceived as a "less-desirable" group. Far better to claim our place along side a person with a visible and sympathized with disability than to be considered a "pervert" who "chose" to be trans. Many apparently different conditions are explained by one system. Different pathways in that system present as different anomalies. Then it is a matter of society dealing with the needs of each group.

The goal has never been to convince the ones who do not want to understand. The goal is to show the truth to those who are open-minded. The rest prefer to live in a fantasy and close off when ever their beliefs are threatened by reality. I agree it is not a simple problem but it will be easier to get what we need for our group once the chance nature of the causes are clear. It is a two-step problem. I admit I can not quantify my approach, but I believe it will get us to our goals faster and more easily.

• 2358 posts
    February 7, 2010 12:36 PM GMT
    Wendy, always true to form, getting it right. People understand about Downes Syndrome, Dwarfism, other genetic and congenital diseases, birth abnormalities. Gender dysphoria is a medical condition, diagnosed as an illness. At Addenbrooks gene laboratories in Cambridge its associated with a gene deformity in the DNA structure. Thats apart from other abnormalities
    like Reifensteins/AIS. Its unfortuante that in most instances, people with GD don't also suffer from Reifensteins. with the physical appearances of women. On the other hand not everyone born with Reifensteins suffers from GD. It would be overly simplistic to say that it has, has/not a direct bearing on a persons sexuality.

Please don't tell me that it has no relevance, and should be totally kept seperate, gender and sexuality. Even if its how the ignorant and biggoted masses see us. Gay man in frock. Even if its down to the pressure of trying to be accepted as women by sleeping with men. I'm not going to go over, again, councellors/shrinks views and my own ideology on the straight/lesbian aspect of being transgendered in relationships.

Perhaps the BBC were seperating gender and sexual issues, is it that simple? I still think its wrong that we were not included in the debate, survey. Would have been a good platform to put our views across.
    The LGB like to add the T when they are pressing for their own publicity spouting equality and looking for votes and support..

So many, here, fume and get all hot and bothered over LABELS, this would have been a good opportunity to put our two pence in. regarding labels and back it up with a simplified explanation of medical definitions and logic.

The educated, people in the know, don't see a downs syndrome person, and ridicule them, call them names, we are not after sympathy, extra priveledges, just a basic recognition and respect. having our views and explanations taken seriously and given due consideration.

The BBC were wrong not to take on board the Trans community, when so many have illconcieved ideas of us all being gay.

Cristine

• 2127 posts
    February 7, 2010 1:00 PM GMT
    Girls, girls, girls! This LGB without the T thing is a red herring. We are debating the wrong thing here. My fault perhaps, for not explaining it right in my first post.

The issue at stake here is about how TG people are portrayed on TV & Radio by the BBC. Please, let's not talk about being associated with the LGB's because that is clouding the issue. We can debate that another day.

The BBC decided to create a survey to help them, “...gain a deeper understanding into how the lesbian, gay and bisexual (LGB) community are portrayed across all our services.”

This is important stuff because it’s television and the media which tells the populous how to react to everything from banker's bonuses to fox hunting to washing powder to MP’s expenses. Over the years, while the LGB’s have been becoming more and more accepted in our society, trannies have continued to be depicted on TV as bad people, mainly due to the efforts of shows like Spinger. And remember the BBC researcher who contacted me last August to ask if I could provide a tranny to be ridiculed on their BBC Three show, Argumental. Would they do that with a black person?

TG people are hardly ever shown on TV in a positive way and that must change but in order to effect change we need to get the broadcasters on-side and this could be a great opportunity.

Although, rightly or wrongly, TG people have been traditionally linked with the LGBT group but the BBC decided that there was no need to hear our views at all and that they were only interested in how they portray the LGB’s. Therefore the T was removed as our views were not wanted.

Had the BBC offered another survey for us (perhaps realising that we were not happy about being linked to the LGB’s) that would have been a different story. However, they didn’t and it is my suspicion that they had no intention of ever asking to hear from us.

When put under pressure from an avalanche of angry comments about the exclusion of trans people, the Head of Diversity said, “...we will probably capture data relating to the Transgender community. This won't be discarded, it will be included in our findings. And that's not to say that we won't in future do more detailed research into the Trans community.”

She is virtually admitting there, that there were no plans to listen to us until that moment. I would guess that there are still no plans.

So, for now at least, let’s forget about us not being too happy about being associated with gay people. That is something we should discuss separately.

The thing we need to concentrate on here is that a very, very large and powerful public institution has decided that they are not interested in how transgender people are portrayed across their services which means that the negative publicity will persist and the public will continue to think of TG people as freaks, men in frocks or perverts.

And this is not just something the Brits need to worry about. When an organisation like the BBC sets a precedent, other broadcasters around the world follow. If it’s okay for the BBC to slag off trannies then it’s okay for NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC, etc.

We have an opportunity here to tell Amanda Rice, the BBC’s Head of Diversity, that we need a voice and that we need to be seen on TV more often and in a positive way. Let’s not blow it by debating the wrong thing.

If you haven’t already left a comment or taken the survey, please do go there now and tell them what you think. You don't have to register to take the survey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blog[...]o.shtml

Thanks and hugs, Katie x
    • 1912 posts
    February 7, 2010 1:10 PM GMT
    Wendy we are talking apples and oranges. It appears you are talking about the politicians and I am talking about those in society who still do not understand us whether out of ignorance or any other reason. Politicians fear large groups because individually they are nobody but in a group they represent a voting pool that can go in favor or against them. And on that I can fully agree with you. I would also like to point out how there are numerous union affiliations in this country. You have auto workers, iron workers, teachers, and the list goes on; they come together on political matters that may effect them. That is no different than what I am pointing. We can be separate and still work together.

But the problem lies with how that is also used against us when the opposition pools its voters together and pushes for laws restricting us. My point is I believe there are still many out there that although they appear to be with the opposition, they just don't really have enough information to make an informed opinion about us. Therefore, they go with the flow until they see otherwise and right now all they see is LGBT and associate it all as sexual.

And where that fits in this thread is many of the people who appear to belong to the opposition attend church. Not everyone who goes to church is a mind numbed robot that believes every last word the Pope or other religious head has to say. It is when you get enough of those who see the true facts about us questioning their leaders, only then will change occur.

I would also like to add that if you believe new laws like ENDA will make people accept us any better, then I have some snake oil to sell you. Society might have to open their doors to us, rah rah, but society will remain full of prejudices still seeing the T as part of LGBT and being a sexual thing.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2358 posts
    February 7, 2010 1:16 PM GMT
    Mmmmm Katie,

How many will register and voice their complaint about being excluded, forcing the issue for future consideration, so many, ''Don't wanna be associated with the LBG's" People are missing the point, being excluded when, it might upset the status quo or complicate matters. The 'T' in GBLT is a convenience, about time we used them. If the truth were known, when the invite went out, or the GBL tendered their prospectus for this survey we were exluded by them to start with.

Its not being allied to the GBL sector that makes people look at us and think "Gay man in Frock" its how people percieve us in general, a sub species of Gay, we could have used this BBC forum to explain ourselves and distance us from the Gay label by educating those with half a brain, and distancing ourselves in general from the GBL, becoming a seperate entity.

Cristine.

(I'm Not missing the point at all) Grrrrrrrr

An analogy, "2 sworn enemies stranded in the dessert, the only way either can survive is by both of them digging for water"
    You can shoot him after you found the water, or you might have formed an empathy and understanding.

• 1912 posts
    February 7, 2010 2:03 PM GMT
    Cris, I love that. "Sub species of Gay." And I think you are right. It is taken for granted we are one of them or possibly below the LGB community. Maybe you are right that we should have "used" the forum to highlight the differences and distance ourselves from the LBG stigma.

Katie, I see your point about the BBC leaving us out when we are part of the LGBT, however with the topic being sexual preferences I feel it worked to our benefit being left out. We don't need to be associated with sexual behavior. Even if we were included in this broadcast the two things viewers would walk away with are 1. LGBT and 2. Sexual behavior. Viewers will not remember a tiny blurb about T's not being a sex thing when the entire show is about sex. If you keep throwing sex in with TG we will never be accepted.

And yes politics, religion and everyone else fits in because you want to shape peoples opinions. Who do you think are watching the show about SEX.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2127 posts
    February 7, 2010 2:37 PM GMT
    Why is it that nobody else can see the real point here? Why are we continuing to talk about the T in LGBT when that is not the issue?

And please make no mistake - by being denied a voice we have been done no favours at all.

Hugs, Katie x
    • 2358 posts
    February 7, 2010 2:40 PM GMT
    Marsha

if 1%who watch the show whatever and are enlightened, as in erm, I never knew that, or a that is not what I expected and they educate another 1%, ifinitum, then its a start. when most gays think we are closet gays and basically dislike it because they are under the impression we dress to disguise our gayness. Register, voice your discontent at the exclusion and perhaps it will eventaully dawn on people we do have a voice Perhaps a few more eloquent people, subscribing to that BBC forum, might sway things. Use it to state why, we should have been included, To clear up misconceptions of the labels we have been given, out of ignorance and bigotry. I'm sure some here could make a much better case and score more points than I ever could.

Katie, Moi? missing the point, erm I don't think so.

Cristine
    • 734 posts
    February 7, 2010 3:23 PM GMT
    Ok, maybe it's just me having mental aberration. But, having clicked the link and scanned through the article I declined the offer to take part in the survey.
    Why? Well, it's not aimed at me. It has no relevance to me. I am not Gay, Bi-sexual or a Lesbian. If I were a Gay Transexual, a Bi one or a Lesbian one I would complete it. I'm a Heterosexual so have no interest in it.
    Soz.
    Rae x
    • 72 posts
    February 7, 2010 3:33 PM GMT
    Such people or groups like [BBC] should go to hell.We should not be bothered at all.Life is about fighting.
    • 2358 posts
    February 7, 2010 3:36 PM GMT
    Rae, xXx

Duh, I can be so remiss at times, I had allready taken what you said above for granted, was not asking anyone to fill in the survey/questionaire, just to post a comment in the forums, What you actually said above would have made a very suitable
    addition with an added so why does a large section of society label me "Gay"

We have an understanding on that aspect, Rae, Hugs.

• 734 posts
    February 7, 2010 8:34 PM GMT
    Sorry Cristine - I had Katies comments in mind at the time, never occurred to me to address the post to her! But you bring up a valid point and I will totter back there and post my comments
    Take care.
    Rae x
    • 1652 posts
    February 7, 2010 10:23 PM GMT
    Amanda Rice, Head of Diversity at the BBC wrote:
    “The reason why we have chosen to look at LGB portrayal and not Trans is that the research is very much about sexual orientation as opposed to gender. We thought long and hard about this and came to the decision, partly informed by the Equality and Human Rights Commission's own guidance (and their own recent research practice), that it is more appropriate to conduct separate research into these two populations. That was the decision that we made, but we acknowledge that we will probably capture data relating to the Transgender community. This won't be discarded, it will be included in our findings. And that's not to say that we won't in future do more detailed research into the Trans community.”

Whilst some of you make very good points in their own right, I feel you are ignoring the above, about what this is all about:
    SEXUAL ORIENTATION.
    If you are lesbian, gay or bisexual then this will concern you, regardless of whether you are transgender or cisgender. One person in the comments wondered why asexuality was not included. Perhaps if you don’t HAVE a sexual preference then you should not be included in a survey about sexual preferences.
    If you were born with 3 ears, would you be right to complain about not being included in this survey? One survey cannot cover every form of diversity that exists in the world. If you are trans and G, L or B then you ARE included. If you are trans hetro or cisgender hetro, or have 3 ears, then you shouldn’t be complaining about NOT being included in a survey about gay, lesbian and bisexual portrayal on the BBC.
    We are not being left out or denied a voice, this just isn’t about us in particular. IT’S NOT ABOUT GENDER!
    And if you think I’m missing the point, then…
    Right back at you!
    xx
    • 734 posts
    February 7, 2010 10:58 PM GMT
    Errr, that was what I said in my post, Lucy ...
    Rae.
    • 1652 posts
    February 8, 2010 12:49 AM GMT
    Errr, yeah Rae, it’s what I said in my earlier post too, I just felt the need to include the official statement and hammer the point home more verbosely…
    Obviously you and some others seem to get that this is not about “us” at all. I did read and understand your posts, dear. I am sorry I did not congratulate you personally for agreeing with me.
    xx
    • 734 posts
    February 8, 2010 1:21 AM GMT
    Errr, actually, I think I might have read your post but didn't cognitively register it. Apols. Congratulations are never required by me. I prefer chocolates.
    Rae xx
    • 434 posts
    February 8, 2010 5:48 AM GMT
    I have no problem in being left out of LGBT but I think our views should be considered in the survey ...for as we all know, most of us have been "forced" to deal with "sexual orientation" from both sides of the "Gender Coin."
    • 1017 posts
    February 8, 2010 11:03 PM GMT
    Hi TW Forum contributors/readers,

I am disappointed in many of you. Katie asked for comments to the BBC LGB survey. I sort of dismissed her original post as not really relevant to someone in the USA. When several girls posted the opinion that the survey had nothing to do with us because we are "T" and not part of the "LGB" community. I agreed with that.

But when Katie posted a reply that made perfect sense to me that the LGB was not the issue and how the ripple effect would influence my USA networks, I decided I needed to take action.

Apparently most of you didn't feel the same. This thread has had 52 viewers. 30 posts have been made to it (some posters multiple times.)

If you go to the comments section on the BBC website you'll find (last time I looked) 23 comments. 5 (as far as I can tell) have been made by TW members (Cristine gets double points for 2 comments. The others were by Katie herself and Rianna.)

If those who felt strongly enough to post here had made comments it would have dominated the comments section of the BBC site.

I've been at TW for almost a year and Katie has made only 3 requests of the community that I can remember. She asked for a group of UK girls to take part in a local quiz program (I'm off the hook on this one, being 2/3 of a world away.) She asked everyone to post a photo to replace the "gray blobs" for our icons and photos (I sort of complied by posting a gray cartoon to replace my gray blob.) Finally, she asked that we post comments to the BBC LGB survey blog.

I've found a community here at TW that I couldn't have dreamed of for most of my TG life, and I think many of you feel the same. Is it so difficult to honor the person who has made this site possible by responding to her request, especially when it will only take a couple of minutes?

Best,
    Melody

• 734 posts
    February 9, 2010 12:22 AM GMT
    Hi Melody,
    Can't really disagree with you. I can only give what I'm up to....
    I said to Cris that I'd post a comment and don't intend to renege on that. So far I've managed to register a username - so getting there, never been one to be rushed! So hopefully - not tonight - but maybe tomorrow I'll comment. But it will be along the lines that I have commented here.
    Much love.
    Rae. x
    • 1017 posts
    February 9, 2010 12:31 AM GMT
    Hi Rae,

I don't think what you comment is as important that you/anyone comment at all. Didn't want to rush anyone, but I did want to nudge those who weren't going to post.

Best,
    Melody
    • 1912 posts
    February 9, 2010 1:49 AM GMT
    Geez, I've gone through and read the entire survey again and amazingly enough it still has nothing to do with us in my opinion, so why some of you insist on believing we need to be part of it. The survey is real clear up front that it is about the portrayal of gays, lesbians, and bi's. It doesn't bother me that we are left out, INTENTIONALLY!!!!!! And Melody, I appreciate and respect Katie immensely, however I don't see that as meaning I have to agree with her on everything.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2358 posts
    February 9, 2010 9:29 AM GMT
    OMG, its not about the survey, its about access to a platform, making comments to correct peoples misconceptions and the automatic exclusions. Causing uproar to be heard and given consideration.

Actually in a lot of cases for TW members it is about the survey as well, Some TW members classify themselves as lesbians, some that prefer men classify themselves as straight. But its about how the general populance percieve us as gay men in frocks, weirdos.

I think most of us are agreed, if your Gender dysphoric and think and present as women, your a woman, NOT a gay in a frock as is the general opinion of the uneducated. While gays and lesbians are more accepted in society, We are still being left out.

If your a woman, still with your female partner, and have a sexual orientation to have sex with women, in my opinion and a whole bunch of eminent shrinks that makes the person a lesbian. If your a woman and your sexual preferences are men, then in my opinion and the same shrinks would cassify you as straight. got it? so then you should voice your opinion on the BBC comments as to why society still sees you as a gay man in a frock.! And thats irregarless of wether your post -op or pre-op in the process of transition,

Right those of you that still prefer women how do you feel about still being labled GAY and its connotations. The term gay does'nt actually specify wether your poking somones bum, or somone is poking your bum. Its just how a lot of people in society see men in frocks.

To those of you that consider yourself straight, women, prefering men do you mind that the vast majority think your just a deviant submissive gay man in a frock?

Don't bother with the survey if you consider it does'nt apply to you, just have a go at explaining yourself in the BBC forum.

The LBG pulls us in when they need support, perhaps we don't want to be directly involved with them. They use us when the need arises, get stuck in. while you have the opportunity. Stop being ostriches.

Its not what you know you are, its about clearing up the misconceptions of how society sees us a sub species of GAY.

Marsha, its about lesbians gays & bi's,? if somone is eronously placing you in this category perhaps you should put them straight,
    If you go to the supermarket and buy a tin with a label saying peaches, and it turns out to be drain cleaner, You telling me that your not gonna complain, or will you just stick it in the trifle anyway? yeh right, lol. Your always very vocal with how you percieve things here in TW, the should's and should'nt and how you view things, A previous forum, you more or less concurred with the TG's thinking and presenting as women being straight if they fancied men, define, please how you see yourself? A lesbian?

If your just dessing up in a frock for sexual kicks and giving a guy a BJ to me that in my opinion is a gay man in a frock, not saying its wrong or making a judgment, but if you are genuine women, why should you be labled as such though ignorance and misunderstanding. So your sexual orientations are directly linked to the gender you see yourselves as.

Cristine.

• 1912 posts
    February 9, 2010 1:20 PM GMT
    Simple enough Cristine. As you state, your issue is with access to a platform and being excluded, NOT with the survey itself. So my point is because the survey is about sexual orientation as the Head of Diversity said, it is therefore not our platform to express our views on something entirely different. Feel free to make your point to the BBC, I just think you are doing it in the wrong forum.

Basically those that think we should have been included are simply protesting for airtime so their side of the story can be told. What do you want, a lengthy piece about the sexual orientation of lesbian, gay, and bi's; followed with "oh by the way, transgendered individuals don't have anything to do with any of this." It is the wrong platform to benefit us and the BBC should be commended for recognizing the differences and leaving us out.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2358 posts
    February 9, 2010 2:44 PM GMT
    Oh well, while most of society sees me and Cass as Gay men in frocks, as aboslute deviants, I might as well go and fill in the survey, keep my head down and Baaaaaa along with the rest. Cos we ain't ever gonna get a platform dedicated to the trans comunity to discuss our slant on sexual orientation in relation to gender identity

Wake up etc etc

Cristine

Baaaa baaaaaaa ba baaaaa
    • 1912 posts
    February 9, 2010 6:54 PM GMT
    Chris, I just want to hug you because I know you have the very best of intentions with your argument. I happen to be someone of the opinion that the problem is because of our association with the LGB, and not of the belief that working together with the LGB will benefit us in the foreseeable future.

Sadly it is guilt by association. Probably one of the most ridiculous ways to judge an individual. Transgender makes up maybe 5-10% of the GLBT population at best. That is why I am against being associated with the LGB, it has nothing to do with the people themselves. With such a small percentage we have a small voice when it comes to LGBT matters. Here you are trying to scream "hey look we are different", the problem is they still can't see or hear us through everyone else out there. To differentiate ourselves I believe we need to be different, and that means separate. It doesn't have to mean we can't all work together for equality for everyone.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 871 posts
    February 9, 2010 9:03 PM GMT
    I completed the survey. I said my orientation was bisexual. They also asked if i live in opposite gender to by birth gender which i said yes and asked if i sometimes assume the opposite gender to my birth gender to which i said no.

I made quite a point that it is quite imposible to discuss or portray gay, lesbian and bisexual people and life styles without including transgendered people. Although being gay and being transgendered are quite two different things no one can understand one to its entirety without understanding the other. The BBC seemed quite interested in how they portray gay, lesbian and bisexual people. They asked how well I thought they did, I said they did a really crap job considering every transgendered person gets asked "How long have you been gay?"

Thats my input! lol
    Penny
    x