London, Friday 19th Feb. Coffee anyone?

• 734 posts
    February 12, 2010 1:37 AM GMT
    Hey,
    I have my second visit to Charing Cross GIC at 3.30pm that day. It's not often I get up to the big apple and wondered if anyone fancied a meet up and coffee? I'm determined to get there early, about 1pm to 1.30ish. Park up and relax. If you're within very easy striking distance of the GIC - walking is not something I do well these days, and I don't know London at all - it'd be a good opportunity to put a face to a name...
    Rae x
    • 1652 posts
    February 12, 2010 1:33 PM GMT
    I'd love to Rae, but too far away I'm afraid, and I'd have to get back for the live episode of Eastenders when Archie Mitchell's killer will be revealed!
    Good luck with your second appointment. Give my love to Stuart
    xx
    • 734 posts
    February 12, 2010 7:27 PM GMT
    That's a shame Lucy, but no worries. I appreciate it's an absolute long shot and not knowing London at all I daren't risk driving too far and not getting back in time! Stuart is absolutely excellent tbh.
    Rae xx
    • 1652 posts
    February 12, 2010 9:41 PM GMT
    Aah you saw him last time then. You seeing Penny this time?
    xx
    • 734 posts
    February 12, 2010 10:26 PM GMT
    No, I had my first visit in mid December with him and he was very keen to see me again asap and the earliest they could book me in was mid Feb. He seemed impressed with what I'd done so far on my own and with my GP.
    It might be that we didn't have enough time as I was twenty minutes late
    So I guess it'll be to finish off what he'd normally do in the first visit and I know he wants to sort out my medication. So maybe Penny next time? [Who's Penny????]
    Rae xx
    • 1652 posts
    February 12, 2010 11:07 PM GMT
    Penny Lenihan, she's ok too.
    I don't know if they still adhere to the system, or if they ever did, but as I understood it when I was going there they were supposed to require approval from two different psychologists for hormones to be prescribed and of course for eventual SRS.
    They told me after my first visit that they would write to my GP straight away to authorise and recommend hormone dosage, but by the time they got round to it I'd seen someone else anyway. Normally each visit would alternate between two psycho's.
    Their admin sucks, things always seem to get held up in the system, so don't be afraid to chase them up if you need to. It took me many attempts via phone, letter, email and verbal requests in person to eventually get my report for the GRP.
    I really have no complaints though, I was always treated well.
    xx

• 734 posts
    February 12, 2010 11:48 PM GMT
    Curious. I don't know. He sent me over to the hospital for full blood tests ready for when I go back. Might be because I was already on hormones via my GP for several months before my first GIC appointment?
    Rae xx
    • 1652 posts
    February 13, 2010 12:27 AM GMT
    I think most people get a blood test on their first visit, that's normal, allegedly.
    I was already on hormones too, they are unlikely to insist that anyone who is should stop before thy get "official" approval, regardless of whether or not your GP is involved. I think it's the Harry Benjy standards that they go by which state you're supposed to have two opinions and do so many months RLE first (3 I think). It'll probably take that long before they write to your doctor anyway. Perhaps they just say oh yeah you can have hormones straight away and then stall for several months so they are adhering to the standards whilst trying to keep you placated.
    Whatever though Rae, don’t think for a moment you are getting special treatment!
    xx
    • 734 posts
    February 13, 2010 1:01 AM GMT
    No idea then, Lucy. What will be will be I suspect. 'Special treatment' has never occurred to me. Each case should be on it's individual merits. I can only go on what the guy says. I'm lucky in having a very supportive and pro-active GP. We're just holding off doing our own thing to see what the GIC comes up with as they're meant to know what's best. He indicated he would discuss medication at this meeting and dosage. I'll hold him to that. If he wants to stall that's their perogative. I'll simply report back to my GP and act accordingly. We're working within the Harry Benjamin standards where a GP is recommended to assist where self-medication is a real threat...
    Rae xx
    • 1017 posts
    February 14, 2010 12:13 AM GMT
    Hi Rae,

I can't think of anyone here that I'd rather meet in person than you.

Unfortunately, I'm more that 5,000 miles away from London.

Maybe, someday. Til then, best wishes for your time at CX.

Best,
    Melody
    • 734 posts
    February 14, 2010 12:40 AM GMT
    Melody, that is such a nice thing to read.
    I hope we do indeed meet one day, I rather think it would be good. I have people in Atlanta I hope to see sometime but - I peeked at your profile again - you're a fair way away from there too!
    I appreciate this thread is a real long shot as it'd mean either a TW member close to the clinic or who happens to be going on the same day. But it occurred to me that, apart from Katie a couple of times, I haven't actually met anyone from TW.
    Much love
    Rae.