Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » Where are the Blogs?

Where are the Blogs?

Tags : None
  • I've noticed that the TGS Blogs have stopped showing up on the front page. I really enjoy reading them and the insight they give into members personalities that don't always come out in their forum posts.

Hope this is a momentary glitch and not a site change.

Best,
    Melody

ps, wish my own life was interesting enough to blog about...
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      March 27, 2010 1:17 AM GMT
  • I noticed that today also Melody. The menu links to the blogs do still work.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
      March 27, 2010 2:17 AM GMT
    5 2127 2‚ 0
    Just an experiement. The idea is to try to make the front page a bit less heavy so that it loads quicker. Removiung the recent blog summary saves nearly a second which is good.

In a recent thread (Let''s Talk About Our Future Together), it was suggested that the blogs are not very popular (not just here but anywhere on the internet) and that our front age clock is also waste of space. I have to agree with the latter, so both have disappeared, making the page lighter and quicker to load.

What does the team think though? Do you want the recent blog summary back?

Hugs, Katie x
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm!
      March 27, 2010 1:25 PM GMT
  • Hi Katie,

I guess making the page load more quickly is valuable. I have just gotten used to seeing new Blogs entries showing up so I didn't miss them. I can live with accessing through the menus.

Best,
    Melody
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      March 27, 2010 1:38 PM GMT
  • I'm sure a lot of the graphics such as pictures are the time consuming part of the page loading. Personally for me, I love the scrolling pics of people who have been on lately, but the recently viewed video clips is worthless. A recent blog list without pics would probably be sufficient, but I think no listing of blogs at all will basically kill the blog feature. Out of sight, out of mind.

I'm curious about the video clips anyways. Under each it says "Owned by:" How do you get away with that? Many of these clips are copyrighted. Can you afford a lawsuit?

Hugs,
    Marsha
      March 27, 2010 2:14 PM GMT
  • I agree with Marsha.
    xx
      March 27, 2010 3:09 PM GMT
  • 2 2627
    Marsh's right about the videos claiming to be owned by myself & others. That could bing you a world of trouble.
    Maybe a banner directing members to recent blogs & videos would help with loading & not take up so much space.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      March 27, 2010 4:19 PM GMT
  • Hi Marsha,

I agree with your suggestion for the Blogs and I think you are right about "out of sight, out of mind".

Also feel the same as you about the videos (I currently just have a slow dial up connection so they are just wasted space to me.)

Best,
    Melody
      March 28, 2010 2:38 AM BST
    5 2127 2‚ 0
    I've changed the video label to "Uploaded by". Do you want me to put the blogs back then? Maybe I could remove something else and/or change the header to save some access time.

Hugs,

Katie x
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm!
      March 28, 2010 2:24 PM BST
  • Hi Katie,

How about a "Ten Most Recent Blogs" like "Ten Most Recent Members" and "Ten Most Recent Forum Posts"? Just a small format list instead of the slow loading large pictures. I think this is what Marsha was suggesting. Come to think of it, the videos could be condensed to "Ten Most Recent" list as well.

I like the scroll of pictures of people recently online, but it is the last (slowest?) thing to load.

Best,
    Melody
      March 28, 2010 3:52 PM BST
  • Just reloaded the front page a couple of times. The slowest thing to load is Wendy's Newsfeed (which I definitely wouldn't want removed - would actually like to see it expanded.)

Another thought, the Blogs, Forum Posts, Videos et al could be shown as stars like "Go Straight to Chat". The page could be quite attractive with the stars scattered about. Be nice if each on had something like "Go to Blogs [3 new Blogs today] or 2 days, week or whatever is appropriate for the category. This would require much less time to load but would alert those who are interested there is new material to check out.

Just a suggestion,
    Melody
      March 28, 2010 4:38 PM BST