Lip Plumpers

Tags : None
  • Hi Girls,

Does anyone have experience with the various "lip plumping" lipsticks and lip glosses that are out there?

I have very thin lips (think the Prussian Colonel in WWII movies - just need a monocle) and I'd like to make them look fuller.

I'm currently using Bare Essentials Buxom lip liners/sticks/glosses. Work okay, I guess, but nothing dramatic on the fullness front.

Any recommendations?

Best,
    Melody

PS, Not interested in injections or surgery. (Been cross-dressing for over a half century and I'm still too chicken to get my ears pierced...)
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      April 19, 2010 7:13 PM BST
  • I've tried one from Physicians Formula and also one from Loreal and would have to say I couldn't really tell any difference. Plus as you probably already know, none of that stuff is cheap.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
      April 19, 2010 7:52 PM BST
  • I've never found anything that works and the salon where I get my electrolysis treatments, (and sells lip plumpers amongst their cosmetics), have also said that they don't make a difference.

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      April 20, 2010 7:25 AM BST
  • Melody.
    I've never come across any lipsticks that actually work either.
    And as for injections, well there was a British actress called Leslie Ash, (Quadrophenia) who was a really nice looking girl and for some reason only known to herself got lip injections and ended up looking like a fish!
    I'm sure there must be some professional tricks with makeup to make lips appear fuller.
      April 20, 2010 11:47 AM BST
  • Thanks Marsha, Nikki and Janis for the replies.

I kind of expected what you all said but was hoping for a miracle. Guess all the wonderful claims the cosmetics companies make are a bit exaggerated. (I feel disenchanted...)

Best,
    Melody
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      April 24, 2010 6:12 PM BST
  • Sorry Melody for the slow reply.
    I use a product called LipFusion . Now my wife say's she see's a little difference, it feels like somethings is happening...but even if it doesn't, it gives me that placebo effect mentally. A dear friend of mine used it and she thinks it works...so, does it????????????

Now I am going to try a product called City Lips duwop lip venom lip gloss....sounds exotic... if it works, who knows, if you think it does, you'll feel better about it. When I try it I will post it. But it will be a while for this one. I like I have said in other posts, I love trying things that I research, that seem like they have some creditable evidence supporting their claim.

http://www.lipfusion.com/

http://www.citycosmetics.[...]out.php
    <p>A life without purpose, is a life without reason!</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;myspace.com/tammybrianne</p>
      April 26, 2010 7:10 AM BST
  • Hi Tammy,

Thanks for the info. I guess what I'm really looking for is the illusion of fuller lips, tho a product that actually did it would be fabulous.

I currently use lip liner to outline my lips just outside the actual natural lip edges and then apply lipstick and/or lip gloss. Does seem to help somewhat. (I've learned that using the liner very far from the lip edge puts you into "Drag Queen" territory pretty quickly.)

Best,
    Melody
      April 26, 2010 6:28 PM BST
    Melody
    I've beenn out of the loop, sorry I didn't read this post earlier.
    I've used the lip plumpers and still do -on occasiion..
    results:
    1 Minimul - it doesn't last long
    2 Too expensive
    3 can't put gloss lipstick over it.

My bride says she sees a difference but I don't.
    hugs
    Gracie

<p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      April 26, 2010 6:54 PM BST
  • Hi Mary Grace,

Your experience seems to be the consensus so far. One of Tammy's links mentioned that lips get thinner as we age. I can certainly testify to that. Mine were never what you call full, but they are now very, very thin.

Best,
    Melody
      April 26, 2010 7:07 PM BST
  • Hmmm...surprised none of you have tried or heard of "Celebrity"...it does work, but lower your expectations from an Angelina Jolie look to something that will puff yours to a fuller "you". Add a THIN line around middle third of upper lip and a longer line on lower lip with a pencil one shade darker than lipstick and you'll have an invisible enhanced version of the old you...drawback is that Celebrity is not cheap. Upside is that you can apply it first, then pencil in your lip line as described above, then when done with your face, apply your regular lipstick. It will stick and it will appear somewhat glossy...

Traci
    <p>Traci</p>
      April 27, 2010 12:49 AM BST
  • Thanks for the info, Traci

Do you have a website for "Celebrity"? I've never heard of it before. (Googling Celebrity is likely to come up with millions of non-makeup hits, lol)

Best,
    Melody
      April 27, 2010 1:01 AM BST
  • Thanks twice Traci,
    And thanks for that tip, I never heard of that one about lining the lips with two different widths of lip pencil.

Another method I also use is after you apply your lip stick, put a lighter shade right in the middle of the bottom and upper lip. It will make the lips look a little bit of that pouty look.

Melody, and others, here is some links that you may like.

http://www.amazon.com/Cel[...]0HKCA7E

http://www.ehow.com/how_2[...]ps.html
    <p>A life without purpose, is a life without reason!</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;myspace.com/tammybrianne</p>
      April 27, 2010 5:33 AM BST
  • Hi Melody.

I just thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth on this subject as I found out about plumpers last year. If you want to test a cheap plumper try SexyMotherPucker (Like that name? lol) It is cheap and can be bought at Target for about ten dollars. I got clear but they have some tinted ones also. The basic run down from my perspective on them is they do work for a little while. I notice my lips do plump a bit. They tingle too which for me is kindof fun because you know it is working. Reapply every hour or so to keep the effect going. Besides that... the tips shared already on cosmetic enhancment are a good idea and something to try. Pucker up!!

^.^ Jessica
    Jessica Nova
      April 29, 2010 1:17 PM BST
  • Hi Jessica,

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to swing by Target. As has been previously noted, experimenting with new products can get very expensive. Nice to find out about one that doesn't empty the purse.

Best,
    Melody
      April 29, 2010 6:19 PM BST
  • Hi Melody...

Here's the link I've ordered from in the past...best to purchase three tubes for $100 rather than one for $50. That said, I found it before for $60 for 3 tubes. It is probably the best out there and you do not need to apply more than once or twice per day to maintain the "pout"

https://www.celebritysexypout.com/

Enjoy!

Traci
    <p>Traci</p>
      April 30, 2010 5:12 AM BST
  • Hi all this may seem a bit weird BUT it worked for me and it;s VERY CHEAP if you mix Cinnamon (as in the spice) with a little vegy oil THATS RIGHT VEGY OIL AND CINNAMON!!!! and dab it on about five ten min before applying lippy it causes your lips to swell a little with no known side effects and as it wears off you can just dab it on top and it seem to gloss up your lippy at the same time. Be warned though it dosn't tast the best but it's not bad either. It works for me but I can't say it will work for every one Hay!! give it a go if it works great and if it dosn't you haven't spent a fortune.
      May 1, 2010 12:15 PM BST
  • Renee,
    Vegy oil and cinnamon?
    Sounds like a very green brekkie cereal!
      May 1, 2010 12:47 PM BST
  • Hi Renee,

That's a new one. Wonder if you could substitute apple sauce for the oil? (I always have cinnamoned apple sauce as a side dish when I fix pork chops.)

Best,
    Melody
      May 1, 2010 3:25 PM BST
  • I've read that cinnamon oil will plump your lips, though I haven't tried it myself.

I suppose a little powdered cinnamon mixed in veggie oil could work; it would certainly be very inexpensive to try. Perhaps the next time I'm using cinnamon in the kitchen.

There are many places to buy cinnamon oil, made from cinnamon bark, or cinnamon leaves. These oils are super concentrated, and should be diluted with another carrier oil before applying to skin.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. -- Edgar Allan Poe
      May 3, 2010 6:32 AM BST
  • "Those bee stung lips"
    I can't remember where it comes from.
    Probably the bible or Shakespeare, (most quotes are.)
    And as for having bee stung lips?
    Girls, please do not try this at home!
      May 3, 2010 11:21 AM BST
  • Hi Girls,

I may have discovered the answer to my own question....

I was bent over to put his leash on my new Lab/Hound Mix puppy to take him and Choca tor a walk in the park.

As I was attaching the leash he jumped up and hit me in the mouth with his face. Pain and immediate lip swelling. Not even but sort of close to the effect I was looking for. A "fat lip" is not too far from a pump lip.

Hope it doesn't leave a bruise when the swelling goes down...

Best,
    Melody

May 7, 2010 6:06 PM BST
  • Hi melody I use a lip plumper from avon with lip gloss and am very happy with it
      June 11, 2010 12:10 AM BST
  • Hi Simone,

You certainly look good in your pic!

Jealously,
    Melody
      June 11, 2010 12:18 AM BST
  • Melody,
    I have tried some of the various "lip plumpers" mentioned here as well. None of them seemed to work well - although they made my lips feel like they had "swollen" a bit.
    What works best for me is to use lipliner, then use slightly different lipstick shades to provide shadows. This gives shading effect to the lips to provide the appearance of volume - much the same as well applied facial makeup can accentuate a facial shape...
    Rembrandt never had it so good... LOL

---------------------------------------------------------------

"and my needs entwined like ribbons of light...and I came through the doorway...some where... in the night"
    <p>Doanna Highland</p>
      June 11, 2010 4:04 AM BST
  • Hi Simone and Doanna,

Simone, in my reply to your post I meant to say your lip technique must be working because you look so good in your pic. (I had a 60lb puppy on my lap "helping" me as I was typing...lol)

Doanna, your experience with lip plumpers seems to be the consensus - some make your lips tingle a bit have little visible effect.

Best to you both,
    Melody
      June 11, 2010 1:19 PM BST