My Secret Self

• 2127 posts
    June 22, 2010 6:25 PM BST
    Take a look at this, which I just found on YouTube. It's an edition of 2020 with Barbara Walters called, "My Secret Self" and it's about transgendered kids.

http://www.youtube.com/wa[...]m0IGYac

It's about three years old but I had not seen it before. It's very interesting.

Hugs, Katie x
    • 2573 posts
    June 23, 2010 6:27 AM BST
    It was an incredible show, Katie. What we need more of and I see more all the time of shows that tell the facts. However, it tears me up inside to watch these shows. I get quite emotional between wanting to cry from happiness, wanting to hug them and tell them they are OK and not alone and nurture them and wanting to cry because of the pain they experience and what it brings back to me. I wish there was some way to let these families know that they do not have to be alone.
    • 871 posts
    June 28, 2010 1:52 PM BST
    How moving! Brought a tear to my eye.

I think it is great that these children are being given the opportunity to be themselves with the support and help from their parents so they have the hope of living as normal life as possible.

I am sure more and more modern day parents are open minded and are giving their children the same opportunities.

My story, which I have heard many others explain similar, is when I was a child and expressed my femininity I was chastised and told it was "wrong". As a result I then spent the next 30 years in denial, struggling with my feelings until I found my freedom on my own. I am sure I have considerable psychological issues because of that and the recent harassment I have been experiencing has affected me badly too but least I have found the opportunity to heal myself.

Lets hope that one day, being ourselves, however that maybe, will not be a struggle caused by others.

Love
    Penny
    x
    • 136 posts
    June 29, 2010 5:49 PM BST
    Thank you Katie for posting the link to the videos. I had not seen these stories before.

I think most of us here can identify with these videos in one way or another.

I find it very encouraging to see that we've (TG/TS) made a lot of progress through the years. I was pleased to hear that in one of those stories, while the mother was at a loss of what to do next, the school principal suggested they allow the child to attend the school in clothing appropriate for her identity. (Brought tears to my eyes; if only that could have been possible for me and so many others in 1962.)

I applaud the parents for their courage to stand up for their children, despite what others think. Their children, and the thousands of TG men, women and children will benefit.

We need to continue to educate the general population with stories like these.