Stella Awards

• 2358 posts
    August 7, 2010 10:31 PM BST

Subject: It's Stella Awards Time !!

Only in America we reward stupid people...and greedy lawyers seeking out the dumbest to make big money off of them.

It's time again for the annual 'Stella Awards'!
    For those unfamiliar with these awards, they are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued the McDonald's in New Mexico , where she purchased coffee. You remember, she took the lid off the coffee and put it between her knees while she was driving. Who would ever think one could get burned doing that, right? That's right; these are awards for the most outlandish lawsuits and verdicts in the U.S. You know, the kinds of cases that make you scratch your head. So keep your head scratcher handy.

Here are the Stellas for the past year, all surprisingly in the US :

* SEVENTH PLACE *
    Kathleen Robertson of Texas was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The store
    owners were understandably surprised by the verdict, considering the running toddler was her own son.
    Start scratching!

* SIXTH PLACE *
    Carl Truman, 19, in California won $74,000 plus medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.
    Scratch some more...

* FIFTH PLACE *
    Terrence Di ckson, who was leaving a house he had just burglarized by way of the garage. Unfortunately for Di ckson, the automatic garage door opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the garage to the house locked when Di ckson pulled it shut. Forced to sit for eight, count 'em, EIGHT days and survive on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the homeowner's insurance company claiming undue mental Anguish. Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay Di ckson $500,000 for his anguish. We should all have this kind of anguish. Keep scratching.
    There are more...
    Double hand scratching after this one..

*FOURTH PLACE*
    Jerry Williams, garnered 4th Place in the Stella's when he was awarded $14,500 plus medical expenses after being bitten on the butt by his next door neighbor's beagle - even though the beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. Williams did not get as much as he asked for because the jury believed the beagle might have been provoked at the time of the butt bite because Williams had climbed over the fence into the yard and repeatedly shot the dog with a pellet gun.
    Pick a new spot to scratch, you're getting a bald spot..

* THIRD PLACE *
    Amber Carson because a jury ordered a Philadelphia restaurant to pay her $113,500 after she slipped on a spilled soft drink and broke her tailbone. The reason the soft drink was on the floor: Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument. What ever happened to people being responsible for their own actions?
    Only two more so ease up on the scratching..

*SECOND PLACE*
    Kara Walton sued the owner of a night club in a nearby city because she fell from the bathroom window to the floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Even though Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies room window to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge, the jury said the night club had to pay her $12,000....oh, yeah, plus dental expenses. Go figure.Ok. Here we go!!

* FIRST PLACE *
    This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was: Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City , Oklahoma , who purchased new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, from an OU football game, having driven on to the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the
    driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her, are you sitting down? $1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home

• 2068 posts
    August 7, 2010 10:43 PM BST

Cris, i thought Stella was the name of a Beer?.....hehehe

Lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 1912 posts
    August 7, 2010 11:30 PM BST
    Hate to burst your bubble Cris but those are bogus urban legends. You start it off correct with an old story of the gal who burned herself with McDonalds coffee, but that only sets up everyone's belief that the rest must also be correct. Most Americans say "yeah right" to that stuff, but I know overseas you eat it up. Enjoy.

http://www.snopes.com/aut[...]ise.asp

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 734 posts
    August 7, 2010 11:53 PM BST
    '...but I know overseas you eat it up. Enjoy. '

Naughty, naughty! A simple corrective post was all that was needed without the xenophobia ... <wagging finger type smiley thing>

Much love
    Rae x
    • 1912 posts
    August 8, 2010 12:08 AM BST
    Sorry Rae, but Cris's line "Only in America we reward stupid people..." pretty will justified it. It seems it is ok for some to take pleasure insulting others, but when they are shown to be wrong, that is somehow rude. Hmm, must be a UK thing.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 734 posts
    August 8, 2010 12:22 AM BST
    Sometimes it seems the whole world just likes to insult one another

Point taken on the opening line though, I managed to skirt passed that without it sinking in.

'it seems it is ok for some to take pleasure insulting others, but when they are shown to be wrong, that is somehow rude.'
    Nope, pointing out an error can never be rude if done politely. Still, as you say, that must be a UK thing ...

Much love
    Rae x
    • 434 posts
    August 8, 2010 3:31 AM BST
    Cristine,
    Many people in North America also find these awards ridiculous!
    A few things I would like to point out...
    In the USA, as in Canada... at least we don't have another "Entity" such as the "European Union" telling us what we "can"...and "can not" do.
    In North America, we don't have a "group" overseeing us and taking away our "National Identity." If we make an error in law...we have nobody to blame...but ourselves.
    We also don't have a separate "overseer" telling is who we must admit to our countries, who will work here, how our finances must be handled, how our social programs must be run, and how our food is grown.
    There may be many differences between the USA and Canada but the two Countries are very very similar in their rights, beliefs, and personal space.
    Big Brother does NOT live here.
    That is true independence!!!

Hugs!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"and my needs entwined, like ribbons of light...and I came through the doorway, some where... in the night"
    • 1912 posts
    August 8, 2010 4:04 AM BST
    Doanna, I have learned so much from gals like you in Canada. It is rewarding to know that you value so many of the same things Americans do. I hope no one feels I believe our way is the right way for the world, but it is the right way for us and I am proud to be an American. Unfortunately it is those "Can you believe what they do over there" statements that cause some to take sides, creating conflict. Rarely is it intentional, but because of the cultural differences it just happens and we just can't seem to understand why the other side doesn't understand.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 252 posts
    August 8, 2010 7:34 AM BST
    Yeah, I'm going to not come down on either side in an effort to keep my "Switzerland" status. No, all Americans aren't stupid rednecks who are homophobic, xenophobic rude bastards.

On the other hand, many Americans ARE stupid rednecks who are homophobic, xenophobic rude bastards.

Let's face it, as one girl living in the American Midwest, my experience is one of side-stepping hate mongers, gun nuts and former wrestlers who think they can fight in MMA combat.

Some of the best people I know are Americans. A lot of the worst are Americans, too. I don't think we have a preponderance of idiots here in the states, we just celebrate them instead of shushing them.

America, the best and worst of everything!!!

Z

• August 8, 2010 8:44 AM BST
    Önly in America we reward stupid people" It's not just a "UK" thing, the whole world looked on in amazement when you (USA) elected the village idiot ( Bush junior) to be your president, not once but TWICE!!!!!

So I guess it's only natural that some people could read these "awards" and think that they're true.

Huggles

Becca
  • August 8, 2010 9:16 AM BST
    at least it makes you laugh or cringe all we get is " i was given the wrong kind of ladder" he should have just got a kick in the bum for being a prat!! or th egirl with the hair that dose make me cringe!! lol
    good luck and good law teams to all x sabini xoxo
  • August 8, 2010 9:26 AM BST
    doanna,
    do belive there is fire burning in that scantally clad belly of yours!!!
    bigger hugs from the supressed and controlled lol
    chat soon hun x sabini xoxo
    • 2358 posts
    August 8, 2010 11:35 AM BST
    Marhsa "Only in America we reward stupid people..." Implies it was written by an American, it was copied verbatim including .."Only in America we reward stupid people..." From some obscure American publication. OMG does'nt anyoyne have a sense of humour on the American continent.

I was not being rude or offensive perish the thought, we here in the UK are doing five years later what the Americans do today, We are slow learners, lol, when it comes down to being idiots.........
    • 1912 posts
    August 8, 2010 1:05 PM BST
    Hugs Cris, I knew you just copied it, however it was posted as a factual story by .....uhm....you. But if you go back to my first reply and reread it I think you will see that I was simply pointing out these stories are false. And the part about overseas you just eat it up, was more of a tongue in cheek comment on how you like stories like that about the U.S.

If Cris and I were sitting across the table from each other when this stuff was being discussed, we would be laughing the entire time and that is something many responding here missed. However, Rae applied UK culture to my remark which completely changed the tone of how my remark was meant. I do see that kind of stuff in Cris's story as insulting so I thought it was only fair to set the record straight. And that is also why I finished off my reply to Doanna with "Rarely is it intentional, but because of the cultural differences it just happens and we just can't seem to understand why the other side doesn't understand."

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 530 posts
    August 8, 2010 1:10 PM BST
    Who really gives a **** about the who/what/why and where?

I read the list, don't care about the source, didn't read the intro, AND HAD A GOOD GIGGLE OVER THEM!

(I also read the 'Darwin Awards', and find them funny as well, regardless of if some of them are 'PC' or not).
    • 734 posts
    August 8, 2010 3:36 PM BST
    Marsha, my comments were neither cultural, condemning nor spun. They were very tongue in cheek hence the use of smiley things. *sigh*
    • 1912 posts
    August 8, 2010 6:26 PM BST
    But see Rae, that is cultural. I don't think there is any question that American and British humor are different. We share a great deal in common but you have to admit we often say "What were they thinking with that.?" I have my hot buttons just as others have theirs. And probably the biggest problem with this type of forum is expressing "tongue in cheek" type remarks. We know what what we mean, but others see something else. Then we are left defending what we didn't say, lol.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 734 posts
    August 8, 2010 6:44 PM BST
    Lol, hunni I know. If you recall, my sister's American. We see each other most days and you can just imagine how some conversations go! Totally agree about the humour [see what I did there? I spelt it right ]. There'll be times where she says 'you've go to watch this it's so funny' and I'll be thinking 'what? How is that funny?'. Other times I'll be grinning like an imbecile at something and she'll be thinking I'm, well, an imbecile!
    It really is great.
    Viva la difference!
    Rae xx
    • 2573 posts
    August 11, 2010 9:24 PM BST
    christine,

I am filing a lawsuit against you for making me read that nonsense. It will be in the Falklands Court so dress warm and prepare for numerous continuances after you get there. I am suing for $2500 for making me read it and $324,243.17 for injuries sustained while driving over a toddler while carrying an open cup of hot McDonalds coffee.while my stolen Honda Civic was on cruise control at 85 mph. It was a stupid idea and didn't work so pay up.
    • 252 posts
    August 15, 2010 4:14 PM BST
    I actually prefer the Darwin Awards to the Stella Awards. I always thought the nominees for the Darwin Awards go that extra mile. I especially like the guy who strapped a rocket engine to his car and wound up a grease spot on the hillside. I also don't much care if they are true or not. As for Europeans...well, ya'll do have soccer hooligans. There's stupidity everywhere and it's freakin' hilarious!!

Zoey
  • September 26, 2010 5:28 PM BST
    REF; men are like paving slabs etc,etc,...
    Unless one is a 'Man amongst Men' ,...

Enjoy & Be Happy,
    Take Care,
    Peter.
    (;-}
    • 2358 posts
    February 19, 2012 9:33 PM GMT

http://www.jerebeasleyreport.com/2008/01/the-lawsuit-myth-put-out-by-the-tort-reformers-must-be-exposed/ The Lawsuit Myth put out by the Tort Reformers must be Exposed.

Well it was funny while it lasted

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at February 19, 2012 9:35 PM GMT
    • 95 posts
    February 20, 2012 1:51 PM GMT

Lol Cristine that is unreal! She should have just gone to mcds for coffee and spilled it on herself. As I remember that was a million plus settlement.

I'd love to test this out. At 300 dollars a veil they better be telling the truth or I want my money back and more! Maybe another law suit in the works waiting?   

http://www.bhldn.com/shop_shoes-accessories_veils/lighter-than-air-veil

xxx