Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Make-Up Tips » Nail Painting Niggles.....

Nail Painting Niggles.....

Tags : None

• I've got my nails to a half-decent length now, but i have one BIG problem when it comes to painting them. Whatever polish i use, it just ends up chipping & my nails look a right mess. Putting a top-coat on them is a big no-no because that just makes the polish really brittle & the slightest knock will chip them. I think i've tried everything i can think of but nothing seems to work....HELP!!!!

Lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    "When the world gets in my face i say HAVE A NICE DAY"
      August 23, 2010 11:09 PM BST
  • Never had that problem Anna. I use Revlon creme enamel and it seems pretty good.
    My problem is I can paint my left hand beautifully but my right looks more like the work of Jackson Pollock after a bad trip.
    Caroline xxx
    Caroline Forster
      August 24, 2010 12:37 AM BST
  • Hi Anna, you did not mention whether or not you used a base coat. Here is a UK link to a top rated base coat called CND Stickey Base Coat. It can also be found throughout the U.S. at stores like Ulta. http://shop.nailbiz.co.uk[...]6-p.asp
    Hugs,
    Marsha
      August 24, 2010 3:34 AM BST
  • I've always just used plain clear varnish as a top coat .
    And as for getting both hands perfect?
    I get my GGfriend Fiona to do my nails and I do hers.
      August 24, 2010 7:43 AM BST

• Marsha, i don't think i have ever used a base-coat, maybe i should give it a try.

lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    "When the world gets in my face i say HAVE A NICE DAY"
      August 24, 2010 11:30 PM BST
  • I use a couple of coats of ridge-filler as a basecoat, one or two coats of colour and one topcoat. You can apply a new topcoat every day if your colour is still intact. My varnish chips because my nails bend easily. Colour can last for weeks on acrylics or gels because they are so tough and won’t bend, but it is expensive to maintain them.
    So since I’m back with my own nails at the moment I’m just happy if I can get through the night without my colour cracking. My fingers can get a bit of a bashing when I’m working, but the five or more coats usually does the trick!
    xx
      August 25, 2010 1:04 AM BST
  • Try roughing up your nails first with a nail file it get rid of the smooth surface and helps the nail polish stick and not chip all so I use a nail hardner as a top coat this helps the polish last longer. Hope this helps
      August 25, 2010 11:55 AM BST
  • Anna,

I use Sally Hansen base coat, lightly rub with a mild astringent to remove oils first, not cheap but the base is excellent if your nails are brittle or bend, some of their colours and top coats also come in realy lovely and far out shades and effects. Sally Hansen also has an online nail clinic and advice, line

Hugs
    Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      August 25, 2010 5:04 PM BST
  • Hi Anna-Marie,

My nails are useless. I glue on false ones that I've previously applied polish to. Once I'm home off they come. I repaint at my leisure.

Not a solution to your problem, but it works for me...

Best,
    Melody
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      August 27, 2010 11:45 PM BST
  • Hi anna,

i use sally hansen maximum growth as a under coat colour on that then clear top coat but go round to under your nail this seals the front edge.

x sabini xoxo
      August 28, 2010 6:46 AM BST
    I'm envious - I can't keep nice nails.
    I'm in the pool seven times a week. I oil my cuticles to keep them from cracking and try to get the oil under my nails to keep the tips of my fingers "lubed." The nails when they do grow a bit - splinter or break. So ...pitty me?
    Ha! All lies - my thumb nails make great screw drivers...duh... they're tough.
    hugs
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      August 31, 2010 4:17 AM BST
  • One of the things I do at the end of painting my nails is to use Sally Hansen's Professional Nail Dryer, which is a spray-on that dries the nail polish almost immediately. Give it an extra 5 or 10 minutes, and I've stopped having a problem. YMMV.
    -Jessi-
      August 31, 2010 4:44 AM BST
  • I've found that my nail condition has improved hugely since taking some evening primrose every day, and so my polish even survives my gardening work, I buff and file then a lot too, almost OCD about it really. lol

Tara
    Love and Light
      October 16, 2010 11:01 AM BST
  • hiya all ok i have the one and only solution...I had french tips put on in my local nail place, fab for a week or so then sooo boring cant do anything with them and you cant get your contacts out... but boy are you nails protected!! but the tips will break off, so 6 weeks later for the first time in years my nails were past my fingers happy days. I had the tips removed and the gel they use to fill the gap between cutical and french tip, put on the whole nail, hey presto my own unbreakable nails that can be shaped and painted, only thing is the in fill every three weeks or so but hey its well worth the extra cost....

happy pampering sabini xx 

September 20, 2011 1:33 PM BST