"Ma'am"

• 1017 posts
    September 8, 2010 9:29 PM BST
    Hi Girls,

Here is an e-mail (edited for length by me) from NPR (National Public Radio) I just received:

Dear Melody,
    Thank you for contacting NPR's Talk of the Nation.
    We are grateful for your comments to NPR News. Your message has been received and it will be read by the Talk of the Nation staff.
    Sincerely,
    Talk of the Nation

"As a male to female Transgendered person, and a none to passable one, I am delighted whenever a clerk or waitress calls me "ma'am" - it makes my day!"

The story is they had a segment on today about a woman who was complaining about being called "ma'am." The quote above was my response, and they read it over the air!

Best,
    Melody

• 2127 posts
    September 9, 2010 4:41 PM BST
    Well done Melody!

Katie x
  • September 9, 2010 6:15 PM BST
    Fame at last !
    I can remember the thrill of seeing my first "Miss" letter.
    • 1017 posts
    September 9, 2010 6:39 PM BST
    Hi Janis,

It was a nice feeling to hear, "and this from Melody in Contra Costa, California..." over a nationwide broadcast. I sort of had the last word as the program ended. The hostess followed reading my e-mail with "So there it is..." and the show ended.

Best,
    Melody
    • 2573 posts
    September 13, 2010 4:16 PM BST
    I was called "maam" while en femme on my first time Out at the LA Pride Festival. I am sure it was not a misidentification but a kind, sensitive acknowledgement of my presented gender identity....it was nice my back was turned and my Trannyweb Logo T shirt not visible. It was a moment of great peace in a life of eternal rejection of the real me.
    • 1652 posts
    September 13, 2010 5:27 PM BST
    That is so cool, Melody.

In England you practically have to be The Queen to be called Ma'am. Here of course "Madam" is the usual formal greeting. It seems it's very easy to make "Yes... Madam" sound quite patronising. Basil Fawlty is not the only chauvinistic hotelier in this country. But I enjoy any of the various alternatives to being "Ma'amed".
    Just got back from France where I loved to hear, "Bonsoir, Madame"!
    xx
    • 1195 posts
    September 13, 2010 7:21 PM BST
    Lucy - In this country a Madam earns quite a bit of money managing her flock of enterprising females.
    "Mame" is usually used as opposed to "Miss" or Missuss" - eh! it's traditional
    All our queens here are usually on stage.
    - all in fun-
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 1195 posts
    September 13, 2010 7:24 PM BST
    correction - my spelling got away from me - again
    it should be Ma'am instead of Mame - guess my mind was thinking of "Auntie Mame."
    G
    • 1912 posts
    September 13, 2010 10:32 PM BST
    I so understand what that unsolicited "ma'am" does for your confidence. I remember things like being referred to as "ladies" while out with my wife, then the occasional ma'am and eventually to where I am now not having heard "sir" or "mister" in person for quite sometime. Early on you sometimes wonder "What did I do differently to get the ma'am." Cherish the moment whether you are CD or TS. Ma'am means you have done a good job being yourself.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 871 posts
    September 14, 2010 6:30 PM BST
    I don’t know if this is true or myth but apparently at a royal do, Queen Elizabeth was on the dance floor wiggling a jiggle when Abba came on and she said, "This is my favourite song, and you know why?" ... "Because I AM the dancing queen!"