I need help from the UK- EMERGENCY

• 2573 posts
    September 14, 2010 4:38 AM BST
    I need very quick help from my UK Sisters.

Years ago, perhaps the 1970s, there was a major newspaper strike in the UK. During the same time there was an outbreak of something that was informally referred to as "Paki Fever". It was caused by a very nasty intestinal parasite brought to the UK by Pakistani immigrants/travelers. It was capable of causing severe trauma to abdominal organs, particularly the intestines. It was likely called Paki Fever because its real name was difficult to pronounce. My Sundance caught it on Holiday in London and it nearly killed her. Her insides were ravaged. She is in hospital today with what may be problems related to her intestinal surgery at that time. She is seriously ill. I can find nothing on the Internet about "Paki Fever".

If ANYONE remembers the correct name of this disease, or when that outbreak was, it could be critical to her treatment. Please respond or PM me at GS. I will transfer it immediately to the Physician.

Please, no consoling messages, keep this thread clear for factual information about the date, name of the disease, name of the parasite.

THANK YOU!!!

Wendy Larsen
  • September 14, 2010 7:48 AM BST
    http://www.nathnac.org/tr[...]m#Signs

paratyphoid

Complications occur in 10-15% of all cases and are more likely in untreated cases or cases that present late in the course. Complications include intestinal haemorrhage and perforation, toxic myocarditis, pneumonia, seizures, typhoid encephalopathy, and meningitis (usually in young children).

The case fatality is usually less than 1% with prompt antibiotic
    • 2573 posts
    September 14, 2010 11:40 AM BST
    Thank you , Cristine, but these are caused by bacteria and the disease I am looking for is caused by a parasite, perhaps a trematode, nematode,monogenea or other platyhelminthes, etc.. I am ALMOSTt certain it was some kind of flatworm. The course of disease was short with proper meds and quite long if diagnosis was missed.
  • September 14, 2010 1:42 PM BST
    I don't know if this link is any good to you, perhaps the names could jolt your memory.
    http://www.indexmundi.com[...]es.html
    • 2573 posts
    September 14, 2010 2:01 PM BST
    Allison,

There is a possible lead in that list, thank you.

Perhaps some of our more mature ladies will remember this newspaper strike and disease outbreak duo from back then.
    • 2573 posts
    September 14, 2010 2:28 PM BST
    I have just received an update on Sundance and she is now alert and oriented. I would still like to get information on that period/disease but the information on her history is being passed on to her doctor, who may have actually trained in that area of the world in which the disease is endemic, the Punjab region of India and Pakistan. They have not yet determined the cause of her sepsis and obstruction but her condition is improving.
    • 871 posts
    September 14, 2010 5:53 PM BST
    I hope Sundance makes a speedy recovery. Love Penny x
    • 2573 posts
    September 16, 2010 7:01 PM BST
    While I would still like to hunt down the source of this "Paki Fever" (I did not name it and apologize to anyone else who finds it as offensive as I do)....

Sundance is alert, feeling tired but much better and is now allowed to drink fluids. Not out of the woods yet but the immediate danger has passed. Still no definitive etiology for her illness. So, no longer an "EMERGENCY".
    • 734 posts
    September 16, 2010 8:40 PM BST
    Hi Wendy, glad Sundance is on the mend.
    Having difficulty locating many newspaper strikes in the 70s that could be remotely described as 'major'. The nearest I have come so far is a very poor 'possibly 74?'. That being the thought of my lodger from his dodgy memory. [He used to be a fleetstreet journalist and magazine editor]. Shame you aren't thinking a decade later as the strike at Wapping in, I think, 86, could certainly be classed as major.
    Best wishes
    Rae x
    • 871 posts
    September 17, 2010 12:40 AM BST
    I'm so glad to hear Sundance is improving.

In retrospect of this. Whenever we, as in the UK, travel abroad we have to ensure we have adequate inoculations to protect us from rare and tropical diseases. I wonder if immigrants from locations where these diseases originate are screened before they are allowed to enter the country? Sounds like they are not! or weren’t!

I also understand that some remote civilisations have been wiped out by a common cold, indigenous to UK, transported by explorers.

I would say some people have acted very stupidly but I guess the scenario of "hindsight is a wonderful thing" never rang so true.

Love Penny
    x
  • September 17, 2010 1:11 AM BST
    I wonder if diseases have any notion of the concept of nationality?
  • October 5, 2010 10:07 PM BST
    Was this illness traced to worms in the sun dried fish that was sold as Bombay Duck in the takeaway curry houses?
    back in mid 70s I worked with guys whose weekend boozing wasn't complete until they had finished with curry and duck and then been violent messy next day.

Wikipedia says Ricketsia from a tick bite was around in the 70s could that be what friend has?
    • 2573 posts
    November 11, 2010 5:06 PM GMT
    I apologize. I thought I had posted that it was in fact an Amoebic Dysentery. Mystery solved. It was likely obtained along with fresh respberries from a London street vendor ....and '74 sounds about right.

Thank you all for your help. Sundance is back to her normal, everyday life.