Trouble With the Neighbors

• 2627 posts
    September 29, 2010 4:39 PM BST
    Do people have to call you weirdo to treat you like one. Twice in the past week I've been accused of spying on my neighbors.
    First I updated my security system, they gave me a free camera that is aimed at my front door. The young girl that lives to my right called the association saying that it was aimed at her door so that I could watch her come & go & demanded I have it removed.
    I new nothing of this untill they came to my door & made me show them what it was aimed at. They let m keep it up & told her to have proof before before she accuses anyone else of something.
    Than only 2 days ago the lady that lives on my left called the police because I had a camera aimed at her bedroom window. When they asked me about it she came out yelling that I'm a pervert & pointing at the camera she said is hidden in a tree. When the police found what she was talking about they told her it was a thermomitor & that it was sitting in plain site not hidden. Then she wanted to know why it was pointed at her window. The cop told her it's a little box with nothing to point.
    I talked to the association leader. She says there are a few people here that want me to move because of the way I dress.
    Well that's to bad. Than she told me to be carefull that some feel very stringly about it.. So I've been warned.
    • 110 posts
    September 29, 2010 6:39 PM BST
    Hi Karen,things like this make me mad. With neighbours like that it's no wonder you want to update your security system. Why can't people just live and let live it's not like your hurting anybody. Good on you for standing your ground. Hang on in there girl. Take care love lillith
    • 871 posts
    September 29, 2010 7:15 PM BST
    Hugs Karen, its such a shame and I really feel for you. I honestly dont know how things work in the US but do you have something like an anti-social behaviour police team? or can you get legal support for slander and defamation?

You have the freedom to wear what clothes you like whilst they do not have the freedom to persecute you.

Love
    Penny
    x
    • 1912 posts
    September 29, 2010 8:12 PM BST
    Hey hon, you need to get yourself a copy of that police report. You have people communicating to each other that you are doing illicit things when you are not. That is potentially "slander of your reputation" because it is being said to other people. You might want to talk to an attorney. Make sure you document day and time any of this stuff occurs.

Another option is to tell them you would be happy to move, the asking price is 3 times what you paid.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2068 posts
    September 29, 2010 11:16 PM BST

Just be real careful hon, & put your OWN safety first cos we dont want these idiot neighbours turning nasty on you. Police will soon get fed up of being called out by them to " Nothing" incidents. Just hang in there girl, just cos i'm this side of the pond it dont EVER stop me from caring that you're safe.

Lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie

• 734 posts
    September 30, 2010 1:02 AM BST
    The things you have to put up with hunni! No idea how things work in the US but I hope Marsha's advice leads you somewhere.
    Much love
    Rae x
    • 2627 posts
    September 30, 2010 4:55 AM BST
    The thing is I thought everything was cool with them. We've allways waved, smiled & said hello. While not being friends we were allways friendly. Than bang, I find out they think I'm some kind of perv.
    Maybe if I talk to them, let them know I'm a TS & not into some odd sexual fetish.
    • 308 posts
    September 30, 2010 6:44 AM BST
    Be careful Karen,
    I had a couple of friends that had and have that problem, two had to move, another is looking. A very reputable, and likable person, a known photographer for some local magazines. She had no problems in a few other places she lived, when she moved.... unbearable problems. I think people flip flop depending on what is going on in there life. Or they need an out, or excuse for there own unhappiness.
    I believe Marsha's advice, is well stated.
    Tammy
    • 2573 posts
    September 30, 2010 12:50 PM BST
    Hang in there, Karen. Illegitimi non carborundum
    • 434 posts
    September 30, 2010 1:31 PM BST
    Hi Karen,
    It sounds like you live in a condominium...LOL
    Marsha has the right idea. Keep track of the police reports and a few samples of the digital recording - to prove where the camera is aimed.

---------------------------------------------------------

"and my needs entwined, like ribbons of light...and I came through the doorway, some where... in the night"
    • 181 posts
    September 30, 2010 2:28 PM BST
    karen,this is yet another reason to tell a Real Estate agent , "NO HOAS " !!!!!!!!!!! Uh to the folks accross the ocean , that means NO Homeowners Associations . Floridia I'm told is choked off by the dern things ..... Now I'm in Virginia . That to me is a prison sentence enough. Still, I despise home Owners because it invites a certain Type of people to move in and basicly dictate what we can and can not do within the privacy of our own homes . In the past , I have seen H O As legislate Jewish people out simply for being jewish !

Unfortunately , The wife , well then wife an I bought a home that we were under the assumption that the Pool in the Sub Division was optional . Guess what, tendays after we closed on the house and too late to getout of the contract , we find that the Archectural revue head was our next door neighbor ! he demanded I remove my 1953 Ford Panel delivery from the neighbor hod as It had 1953 Virginia Truk tags on it insteasd of "Current tags " . I explained to the woose that they were legal. He said he would have it towed. I told him , "Try it "........... That ensued a battle thats been ongoing for ten years in my neighbor hood. I have moved the truck to my back yard and built a Privacy fence around it . Technicly , theres nothing they can do as I have legal tags and insurance on it. . stil, they delight in peering from the curtains as to what I am attired in as I go off to church , social functions and to work ..........

Hopefuly the economy wil re-bound , I will move to perhaps North Carolina where the trans laws are a lot more reasonable and I'll finially be at peace as I can also enjoy my antiques in peace there as well. ellen