Transgender Town

• 2127 posts
    October 2, 2010 12:24 PM BST
    Some years ago, I had an idea for a small real life community, where TG people could live without fear of ridicule from their neighbours and the outside world.

The idea was that we buy a small, self contained development of houses and flats or apartments that are arranged in a such a way that they are not accessible by Joe Public. Perhaps a gated community or suchlike. This would be in a city centre and not too far from TG-friendly bars, restaurants and clubs.

The residents would be TG only so there would be no question of neighbours causing trouble. Some properties would be available for sale and others to rent. I envisaged a landscaped communal area in the middle of the development which could be used for all kinds of events of our own choosing (barbecues, make-up classes, fashion shows, etc) without anyone from outside the community being able to see in.

It would in short, be a kind of haven for TG people.

However, at the time, my idea was shot down if flames by a number of members who said that would put our cause back several years and that TG people need to live in among non-TG people. If they see us every day, they will get used to us, no longer see us as a threat and no longer hurl abuse at us in the street.

And so dear reader, my idea was forgotten for many years... until now!

Reading about Karen Brad's experiences with her neighbours made me realise that the people who shot my idea down were completely wrong. Just because we opt to live in a gated community does not mean that we will not be seen out and about and that we will not be able to integrate into our local communities.

What is does mean however, is that when we go to our homes, we will not be subjected to attacks from neighbourhood children and will not have to live in fear of the very community we are trying to integrate with.

So, many years down the line, I would like to resurrect my idea and put it back on the table for you to debate. I believe that there is a room for a private community for TG people only so let’s look at it again.

What qualities and features do you think it should offer?

Hugs, Katie x
  • October 2, 2010 1:03 PM BST
    No!

Just all TG girls?
    No GG girls?
    No men?
    No children?

A description of hell!
    • 1652 posts
    October 2, 2010 1:49 PM BST
    I would never wish to shoot any of your ideas down in flames, Katie. In many ways I think it’s a good idea, but I’m predicting here a TS/TV divide. I don’t imagine many TS’s would want to live here; our goal is generally to be normal women and integrate into normal society.
    Those who don’t want to go to this extreme end of the gender spectrum I think are always more likely to get hassle in daily life. Which of course is wrong, and the argument for these people integrating still has some merit. But those who don’t want to be TG warriors for the cause, like everyone else deserve to live in peace and safety. Your TG town could be a great place for that. I can’t see it being straightforward though, setting up a community that is so specific, so closed. One could argue that it’s verging on apartheid; no cisgenders allowed?!
    Janis has a point, perhaps not hell on earth, but I don’t think I’d want to live there. That doesn’t make it a bad idea, that’s just my own personal perspective.
    I’m sure you could find plenty of TG’s to populate your town though.
    xx
  • October 2, 2010 1:52 PM BST
    Katie,

Have you read some of the forums recently??? I don't think we could all live together in a closed community without several murders every day!!!

Though a nice idea I suppose, in theory!.

Huggles

Becca
    • 1912 posts
    October 2, 2010 2:21 PM BST
    Rebecca does make a good point. Just because someone has one thing in common with others does not mean they will automatically fit in or get along with everyone else. And Lucy nailed it with TS's like her and I, all we want to do is blend into society, not segregate ourselves.

I also think you are possibly risking greater discrimination because if you needed to give your address out for anything, it would immediately be associated with "that" community and without words being exchanged, it could be quietly used against you. And when the anti-GLBT groups come to town to spew their diatribe outside your gate, how will you react? Of course in Utopia, everyone would hug each other and respect the differences, but why then would we need a separate community?

I just see it as tattooing TG on your forehead.

Hugs,
    Marsha

• 1017 posts
    October 2, 2010 2:33 PM BST
    Hi Katie,

Back in 1968 I was in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco during the "Summer of Love." It was a very idyllic utopian neighborhood of like minded people. Within two years it devolved into overcrowded slum full of the homeless, street crime, drug burnouts and prostitution.

For Transtown to work I think it would have to be something like the towns of fallen away Mormon polygamists isolate themselves to pursue a life style that society doesn't accept. Not for me, thank you - I've lived in the Arizona desert.

I'm sure there are some who would love what you describe, but I think most would opt out.

Just an opinion,
    Melody

• 252 posts
    October 2, 2010 3:07 PM BST
    A gated community? I've nearly lost my wits, having to live in the suburbs. The only way I'd be happy there is if I became a Stepford Wife. I need to be in the city. Plus, there would indeed be bloody murders and some would not be able to be solved easily, as there would be too many suspects. (See: Murder on the Orient Express.)

Z
    • 871 posts
    October 2, 2010 3:27 PM BST
    Unfortunately, my town would be fairly Nazi like. I would be the only woman in the town full of blond hair blue eyed strapping lads and no gays allowed! lol
    • 2358 posts
    October 2, 2010 4:03 PM BST
    A refuge, perhaps where girls could go while they were going through the ugly duckling stage of transition and emerge out into the world fully fledged swans, Self sufficient community, perhaps doing work within a closed community that would train them for self support in the real world. A centre where girls could go for respite and get their breath back.
    • 11 posts
    October 2, 2010 5:11 PM BST
    That was pretty much what I thought when I first read the idea Christine. With the inbetween period being so..... yeah. How many transgendered teens get kicked out of their homes because they want to be who they are? How many transgendered women lose their jobs when they start to transition? No, we don't need a shelter, there are plenty of those around, but a place to get started, a place to gain confidence, that I think is a good idea. ^^

Love,
    Angela
    • 871 posts
    October 2, 2010 10:27 PM BST
    A wonderful idea. The only concern I have is that the segregation from society might send a message that TG people need to be segregated because they are not normal and shouldn’t be apart of society. To me, it would help to fuel the ignorance of the people who like to abuse us.

When I am about shopping and doing my stuff I do so without fear for the majority and if there was such a village called Trannyville no doubt one day I would hear a comment like "Why don’t you f off to Trannyville where you belong!"

Love
    Penny
    X
    • 2068 posts
    October 2, 2010 11:32 PM BST

I did think this was a wee bit far-fetched to start with katie........but you might actually have something here.

" we will not be subjected to attacks from neighbourhood children", i've actually had this happen to me & it is SCARY as HELL although my immediate neighbours are a real nice lot, very friendly too & i cant ask for more than that now can i ?

Lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 2573 posts
    October 5, 2010 10:25 AM BST
    Having lived in unofficially LGBT neighborhoods, like Silver Lake, CA, where people gravitate to an area of similar folk, I can tell you that the experience was, in most ways, pleasant and relaxed. This may be because the "problem children" chose not to move in after a while. In fact it was, without a doubt, the nicest neighborhood I have ever lived in. I think finding an area with this potential, then moving in a large number of TG persons, buying up the available, empty housing, would be a workable idea. Many non-LGBT persons live in Silver Lake and West Hollywood, Provincetown (MA) and living there is not indicative of being LGBT on the face of it. Since the neighbors tend to become liberal and accepting, the community becomes peaceful for the LGBT residents. Nothing like a time of financial crisis to start because the local shopkeepers will love finding that TGs buy a lot of clothing (possibly two wardrobes) and those wanting to sell houses in a down market will be glad to sell to us. I see this daily in the US, as most people would rather stay in business than be a bigot and LGB's, at least, spend more money than the average consumer. Supposing we caused local house prices to drop. Well, liberals would move in next to us for a good price break.

Could work, Katie. I'm thinking of moving to WeHo or Silver Lake again. I liked Silver Lake and Wendy was still locked in the loft back then.
    • 434 posts
    October 9, 2010 5:49 PM BST
    Cristine,
    I think you concept of"refuge" is right on the mark. It does not seek to isolate people in transition but would serve as a good moral boosters to those in that "ugly-duckling" stage. I attend a "group session" for Transgender people in all stages of transition. We have had the occasional FTM' in the group, and if everyone in the group feels comfortable, a GG (ovarian LOL) will sometimes be invited.
    That brings me to another point.. I wonder if anyone has ever considered the possibility that within this site... there may be members who are actually GG's posing as transgender or "Admirers". ...Just a thought...

------------------------

"and my needs entwined, like ribbons of light...and I came through the doorway, some where... in the night"
    • 2358 posts
    October 9, 2010 6:18 PM BST
    Now theres a thought but why would a GG pose as a transsexual, certainly not me, lol I would'nt get away with posting those type of piccies on here, lol
    Suffice to say that years ago I worked in a revue bar where if you did'nt have the necessary, you wer'nt hired and when you lost it, you were made redundant