Who do you dress for?

• 1017 posts
    November 11, 2010 1:42 AM GMT
    Hi All,

If your are a MtF TG, I'll bet you watch the way GG's dress. Some dress to impress males, others to impress other females, and a few don't have a clue.

It's been my experience most TG's dress to impress males (even if that male was themselves at some point in their lives.)

Me, I like to think I dress to please myself, but that wasn't always the case and I may well be deluding myself now.

Who do you dress to impress?

Best,
    Melody

• November 11, 2010 2:10 AM GMT
    I definitely check out the way other women look, especially if I see someone who looks about my size and age.
    I'd like to think I dress just to please myself but I want to look good , (or my idea of what's good) to others as well so the answers probably both.
  • November 11, 2010 3:38 AM GMT
    Well I watch how women dress all the time and always trying to learn. I dress to blend in and please me at the same time. wearing a pretty dress that looks good and feels great just makes me feel so wonderful. However i wear what is appropriate for what I am doing...
    • 434 posts
    November 11, 2010 5:26 AM GMT
    Melody,
    All of us here have lived on the "male side" of the spectrum to one extent or another during our lives. Even if we were willing (or unwilling) participants in that role, we still formed an "appreciation of the feminine". We all have our ideal examples of womanhood firmly fixed in our minds and those examples are usually what we strive for when we finally get the chance to do something about it.
    I would have to say that I dress for me and I am certain that we all do it for ourselves ...for one reason or another.
    In my own situation, I would have to say that being sensuous is on my list .
    Being sensuous is not limited to being able to "slink" down a sidewalk and catch the EYE of every guy (or girl) in the area, it is the ability to catch the MIND of others and bring sensual emotions to the surface of all who see you - emotions that most of them are afraid to acknowledge (or face) in all but the most intimate encounters. Sometimes, all that is needed to accomplish that is a certain way you you sit down, or adjust your position, or even the body language you use.
    When I see a sensuous woman, I don't lust over her...I appreciate her for what she does for me and others...

A second thing on my list is to dress sexy for Men. Sometimes, I just feel the need to "turn someone on" ...to the point that they do "LUST" for me. It may be just a "power-thing" on my part or it might be a need to be acknowledged as a fully sexual woman. What ever the reason...it makes me feel good.

The final reason I dress is..... I am a woman. My core is woman and all that I do emanates from that core.

------------------------------------------------

There is no "male perspective" left in me...only the memory of a male perspective and the trauma that it brought me for so many years.

• November 11, 2010 11:04 AM GMT
    hiya melody

If jeans and a tee shirt is impressive then i'm rite en vouge lol

big hugs hun x sabini
    • 2127 posts
    November 11, 2010 12:07 PM GMT
    When I dress, the most important factor for me is to pass. Whether I do or not is another story but at least that is what my mission is. So, I try to match my clothing to the place I'm going to and the kind of event I'm attending. I would not wear the same kind of outfit on a trip to the supermarket as I would if I were going out for the evening.

I'm also very much aware that some girls do not dress their age and that is often a great way to be read. For an extreme example, consider the fictitious Boris, a 45 year old, 16 stone crossdresser who tries to dress like an 18 year old Britney Spears.

Even Britney, at the grand old age of 29, would have trouble recreating that look now so what chance has Boris got. It's not just body shape but it's also the clothes. Younger people, male and female, tend to wear different kinds of clothes at different stages of their lives.

A 45 year old woman who tries to dress much younger than her years will get scornful looks from other women and men will be thinking, "mutton dressed as lamb".

As a TG person who's out in public, dressing inappropriately makes people look twice. Whereas you may have passed if wearing appropriate clothing that befits your situation and age, not doing so will get you read.

Upon their first glance at you, other people's brains subconsciously weigh you up in a split second and decide whether to give you a second glance and look closer. The first glance checks to see if you are a threat or if you are desirable as a mate and if neither they usually pass by you without a second glance.

The danger comes when they do look twice and deeper because that's when they see those imperfections that give you away. The trick then, is to not give others a reason for looking twice.

So, that is what is uppermost in my mind when I'm choosing an outfit. Will I blend in and just look like another woman in the crowd (which is what I want), or will I stand out like a man in a dress.

Hey, you probably know all this already but if you don't, it's all in my book, 'Katie Glover's Girl Guide'...

http://gendersociety.com/girlguide/

Hugs, Katie x
    • 252 posts
    November 11, 2010 12:44 PM GMT
    Excellent point, Katie. I think appropriateness (is that a word?) is very important when we start dressing. Like a few have said, I look around and try to blend in as best I can. I live in Iowa, a fair distance from anything important here in the states. Also, I usually dress like the lesbians in the area. Women in their early 40s here almost never wear makeup and since the facial hair I have left is gray, it doesn't show at all.

I know there are a lot of girls who wear some kind of dress or skirt nearly everyday. That's not me. I don't have issues with makeup or skirts/dresses. In fact, when the weather is nice I do like wearing skirts. I have issues with dresses mostly having to do with my shape but I'm not fundamentally against them. I've dealt with CDs and some TSs giving me strange looks because of my "soft butch" wardrobe. But when I started transition, I said the one thing I'd be is myself.

As soon as I can find a couple of pair of dress shoes in women's size 14 E, my wardrobe will increase dramatically. Think I'll post a thread about it.

Z
    • 2573 posts
    November 11, 2010 5:54 PM GMT

Zoe,

You might want to check out these sites for larger shoes:
    http://www.barefoottess.c[...]0=:A00I

An Italian site that does custom shoes:
    http://www.italianheels.c[...]n.shtml

http://www.snaz75.com/pl-[...]20.html

http://www.shoes4stars.co[...]2l.html

Somewhat similar, but perhaps more negative in outlook, to Katie...I dress with the hope of someone seeing me thinking "what a large, homely, mannish-looking woman" and looking away before they read me....best possible case and my fond hope. Failing that, I hope that at the least they will say: "Well, she HAS good taste."

This post was edited by katieglover at January 7, 2014 10:27 AM GMT
    • 20 posts
    November 11, 2010 6:28 PM GMT
    I dress to impress myself. I know just what I like and I get it and I wear it. I spent a lot of time in front of mirrors swirling and posing and flipping up my skirts! Up till I started putting stuff on YouTube I was the only one who saw me dressed most often so there really was no body to impress. My wife thinks the clothes I get are cute. I dress way too young for my age though and wouldn't feel comfortable walking down the sidewalk. If I were to dress for others, I would wear more age appropriate clothing.
    • 181 posts
    November 14, 2010 4:53 PM GMT
    Melody , I dress to impress mostly other women truth be told . In fact , other women at my church are the first to make a nice comment as to what I am attired in . I feel like to impress some of them as they are far wealthier than I , well ,you know the rest . I buy 99 % of my wardrobe from Thrift stores ! Ellen