19p a litre 'petrol' in development

• February 1, 2011 1:27 AM GMT
    A British company has invented artificial petrol that emits no greenhouse gases and could cost as little as 19p per litre at the pumps. Cella Energy, the Oxfordshire-based firm that is developing the fuel, uses hydrogen, which is currently much cheaper than oil.

What does it matter? If it works, this company will be made an offer it can't refuse by the oil companies and it will never see the light of day. Even if it did, the Government would tax it to death as usual. They could not possibly afford to give up the highest fuel duty and tax in Europe.

http://uk.buzz.yahoo.com/[...]lopment

• 308 posts
    February 3, 2011 7:04 AM GMT
    Quite a coincidence Penny,
    I just watched a program on Nova Wed nite about that very same subject, photosynthesis to hydrogen. I am not sure when it may air in the UK or if it does, but worth watching.....Tammy
    Making Stuff: Cleaner

Can innovative materials help solve the energy crisis and lead to a sustainable future? David Pogue investigates. Premiering February 2, 2011 on PBS

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/n[...]er.html
  • February 1, 2011 11:40 PM GMT
    Janis, I think Nikola Tesla came up with a way of harnessing electricity from the Earth's rotation and wirelessly transmitting it at high frequency. I read somewhere that each time it passes through the planet (which acts as an AC generator) it is aimplified. Supposedly the experiment blew up a power station. It was said that someone bought the idea and burried it. I am no expert at all on this but if it is true it might suggest that if not free energy certainly cheaper energy can be harnessed. (No doubt I am way off the mark on this)
  • February 1, 2011 6:29 PM GMT
    Janis,

If I was a man, I would jump on a big white horse, ride north and sweep you off your feet, your smile could melt train tracks.
  • February 1, 2011 12:20 PM GMT
    Cristine if my hypothetical genius (where are you) could come up with a feasible nuclear fusion process then we could have effectively cars running on pee.
    The hot air would unfortunately still remain.
  • February 1, 2011 11:05 AM GMT
    Imagine if some genius could invent a clean, cheap, readily available source of energy it would completely transform the world, (hopefully for the better).
    I think the answer could possibly lie in nuclear fusion rather than petroleum alternatives.
  • February 1, 2011 12:02 PM GMT
    Janis, if cars ran on pee they would introduce a bladder tax. If hot air could be transformed into a useful source of energy I 'd suggest half of the UK should become politicians.
    • 871 posts
    February 2, 2011 2:01 PM GMT
    There have always been viable alternatives to fossil fuels but unfortunately the capitalists who oppress the world for the purpose of exploitation continue destroy the world we live in! (wow, i'm good at spitting venom lol)

They can maintain nuclear fusion for about 30 minutes at the moment but it seems a challenge to maintain persistence. The problem is that because fusion uses all components of the hydrogen atoms in creating the helium there is no escape of waste. In nuclear fission it is the waste particles, free neutrons are the catalyst, which create the cascade.

Another form of energy they are looking into is using a photosynthesis cell to take carbon out of the atmosphere to use as fuel. Oh buga thats trees isnt it.

I wonder if they could modify a photo cell to create carbon string instead of wood?

Love Penny x