Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Transgender Movies » What Movie Best Represents Your Country?

What Movie Best Represents Your Country?

Tags : None
    Hi All,

A movie question for you all:

What movie best represents your Country or Region or City?

I spent some of my childhood (the 1950's) in Central California (Santa Maria and Salinas, specifically). The film that I can relate to my memories of the time and place is George Lucas' American Graffiti. (A close second would be either Nicholas Ray's Rebel Without a Cause or Don Siegel's original Invasion of the Body Snatchers.)

How about you? What film really got Scotland, New South Wales, Chicago, Singapore, Alabama, or where ever you are from right?

Best,
    Mellie

<p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      January 27, 2011 9:07 PM GMT
  • Boys from the Blackstuff. I think its like history repeating itself in this bleak portrayal of the UK underclass.
      January 27, 2011 10:53 PM GMT
    A really nasty movie with an early appearance from Keanu Reeves called "River's Edge". "Field of Dreams" is a little too easy and "Take This Job and Shove It" is too bad of a movie. I still half feel that I'm from Tulsa and if I were still there, I'd say "The Outsiders" in a minute.
    I am the itch, after it was scratched.
      January 27, 2011 11:24 PM GMT

• Seeing as i'm only half-scots......for Scotland i would've said " Braveheart".

FFFFFFRRRRREEEEEEEDDDDDOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

Lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    "When the world gets in my face i say HAVE A NICE DAY"
      January 28, 2011 12:15 AM GMT

• Talkin of Good Scots films........can't get any better than " The Wicker-Man". I mean the original version with Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee in.......not the sh*te one with Nicholas Cage.

lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
      January 28, 2011 12:18 AM GMT
    Hi Anna-Marie,

I would have said 1934's The Secret of the Loch, but then I'm only 1/4 Scots.

Best,
    Mellie
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      January 28, 2011 12:39 AM GMT
  • For my region (The Lake District) I can only think of Withail and I, and the Beatrix Potter film - Miss Potter.
    I live not far from Sleddale Hall where some of Withnail was filmed. Miss Potter captures the more scenic side of the Lake district though.
    Very beautiful around here.
    xx
      January 28, 2011 2:07 AM GMT
  • Well Melody, I had to give this some thought, but I really think this movie does it for me. Being from the Pittsburgh area, it fits the city. And the substance of the characters, portraying the type of changes to people before, during and after that turbulent time in our history. Also, it represents the physiological changes of my generation and the unrest in the United States.
    Tammy
    >>>>>>>>>>>
    The Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter is about a group of very close friends who work in a steel mill in Pennsylvania during the Vietnam war. The story is set in the late sixties and these guys have decided to volunteer to join the Army and serve in Vietnam. Just a bunch of young, hard working, patriotic men. Quite a bit of time is spent getting to know this group of guys, and their families. Eventually three of the five good friends head off to war. After their tour in Vietnam nothing would ever be the same. The life that they enjoyed so much was over. Like every other war does to good men, it changes them, some physically and all mentally.

<p>A life without purpose, is a life without reason!</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;myspace.com/tammybrianne</p>
      January 28, 2011 5:15 AM GMT
  • It would be wonderful if Scotland was the idyllic fantasy land represented in "Local Hero", (which I love).
    But I think it's more truthfully represented by the teenage angst of "Gregory's Girl which of course could be transferred to many countries or perhaps the black, black humour of "Trainspotting"
    And yes I did enjoy "Braveheart".
      January 28, 2011 5:43 AM GMT
    Janis, I'm so glad you mentioned "Local Hero" it's a wonderful movie and as soon as I saw a Scot represented in this thread I immediately thought of that film.
    I am the itch, after it was scratched.
      January 28, 2011 1:26 PM GMT
  • Coming from N. Ireland, I can't think of any films, other than ones about 'The Troubles', the most memorable of which would be 'The Crying Game', with its' TG twist at the end of the film!

I wish we had others, not to do with 'The Troubles'.

'The Commitments', set in Rep. of Ireland was a very good film with a great soundtrack..

Holywoods' take on a 'typical Irish village' in the 'Quiet Man' starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara was fun but not terribly representative of the country with all its' 'Top of the mornings' and 'Woman of the House' comments along with fist-fights at every opportunity.... or was it?! lol
      January 28, 2011 2:47 PM GMT
  • Penny what about "Ryan's Daughter"? It's definitely not Walt Disney's Ireland and also contains a brilliant non-speaking role by John Mills. It's directed by David Lean so it looks absolutely fantastic.
      January 28, 2011 3:41 PM GMT
  • Hi Janis,

Yes, I believe that is a good film. I may have seen it years ago.

However it is another film based in the Rep. of Ireland ..... I just wish N. Ireland had a 'Gregory's Girl' type of film (maybe it does and I just haven't heard of it?). I loved that film when it came out and must have watched it about 20 times!....I kinda fancied Clare Grogan to be honest, but it was a really funny film.
      January 28, 2011 3:55 PM GMT

• Pittsburgh.......home of the best NFL team going, & (hopefully) Superbowl 45 winners.

Lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
      January 28, 2011 11:34 PM GMT
  • Curiously when I was thinking of a film I immediately thought of The Troubles and England's shame...Incidentally I am only Irish through one great grandparent so I can't really claim any identification. I guess it is because my opinions were formed by our media as a child and I only became aware of the two sides of the story in my 20s and only actually studied Ireland's history last year. Its a pity we are not taught a less biased history as kids.
      January 29, 2011 1:01 AM GMT
    Hi Penny and Alison,

When I posted this thread, I intended it to be just a fun "my favorite movie about here" sort of thing. When Penny posted that there weren't any Northern Ireland films that weren't about "the Troubles" I thought that was just hyperbole.

Well, I was wrong. I did a search for "Northern Ireland Films." I got about 60 hits. When I excluded culinary tours and travel documentaries there were about 40 features left. They ranged from the 1930's to the 2000's, produced from Belfast to Hollywood to London. As I explored them one by one I found every one had descriptions that included "IRA" or "Terrorism" or "the Troubles." It's as though every film made around the world or in the US about this country were about the Civil War (1860-1865). While the conflict between the IRA and the Ulster Protestants and Britain is certainly rife with dramatic possibilities, it shouldn't dominate every film about the region.

It seems that Northern Ireland is long overdue for dramas, comedies and other genres of films that come from the rest of the world.

Penny, ever thought of becoming a filmmaker?

Best,
    Mellie
      January 29, 2011 2:03 AM GMT
  • I dont think there is a modern film that represents Australia currently. We get overloaded with tv and films from overseas that if you want to make it as an Aussie actor you best be headed overseas.

The closest I can come to is the spirit shown in the film "tomorrow when the war began". Its a wonderful flick aimed at a teen aged market but it really shows a very Aussie way of doing things.

I can tell you what DOES NOT represent Australia..... Baz Lurman's Australia. It was a load of crap. It was nothing even close to what Australia is or was like. There was only two reasons I didn't walk out. I was watching it with my Brazilian girlfriend and she couldn't keep up with the English language or Aussie slang and the kid with his "bloody cheeky bulls eh?"
    To love what one has is to be resigned to never get what one wants. Natalie Clifford Barney.
      January 29, 2011 4:18 AM GMT
  • Are you a Pittsburgh fan, Anna-Marie? At least one fan from the UK, and this is American football. Very cool ....

Huggs Tammy
    <p>A life without purpose, is a life without reason!</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;myspace.com/tammybrianne</p>
      January 29, 2011 7:31 AM GMT
  • Hi Mellie,

It is such a shame that we haven't got any 'normal' films.

Me becoming a film maker? That sounds wonderful so long as I get to be leading actress too! ... not that I have any acting ability, but when has that ever been a hindrance.... lol

Hugs

Penny x
      January 29, 2011 1:57 PM GMT
  • The King's Speech is a very English film (England in the 1930s), and an excellent film with a terrific soundtrack.
      January 29, 2011 10:39 PM GMT

• You BET i am Tammy, been a big fan for years now.

Lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
      January 29, 2011 11:41 PM GMT
  • Just watched "London Boulevard"  which I sincerely hope does NOT represent London! 

March 30, 2011 4:31 PM BST