Harassed in Public by a Young Girl

• 2127 posts
    January 17, 2011 12:25 PM GMT
    I'm so sorry to hear about this Karen. Public ignorance can be a real problem.

But how to educate them?

Hugs, Katie x
  • January 18, 2011 2:48 AM GMT
    Hi Karen,
    I think you did the right thing. A young girl who hasn't matured, wouldn't have developed a social sense
    to "Live and Let Live" yet. Plus teen age girls are all about differences, so it wouldn't do much good to argue with her.

I hope this one incident doesn't slow you down in your journey as Karen.

Hugz from a sister,
    Michelle Lynn
  • January 18, 2011 6:31 AM GMT
    Karen, as far as I'm aware, wearing tights in public is not illegal; but surely verbally assaulting someone for wearing tights is illegal. Maybe you could have threatened to call the police if she didn't back off. The girl in question was clearly mentally disturbed because no one in their right mind starts abusing someone verbally for precious little reason; most normal people avoid causing trouble.

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago when one young lady thought it was her public duty to point me out to all and sundry. I have to say that I ran away (literally) from the situation, and so I'm really in no position to say you should have done anything different. Sometimes, the problems can come from unexpected corners. This weekend, two middle-aged European gay men (who may have been drunk) starting pointing at me and laughing (I mention their ethnicity because I live in SE Asia). I never expected an attack, if I can call it that, to come from this quarter. Anyway, I decided to point back and pretend I was commenting on them; they soon stopped, but maybe it was because the joke was wearing thin. Thankfully, most people are pretty decent, and sometimes the people from whom you least expect it turn out to be the most decent and respectful.
    • 871 posts
    January 17, 2011 5:33 PM GMT
    Hugs for Karen, I hope it wasnt too traumatic for you! xxxx Some people can be awful.
    • 1980 posts
    January 16, 2011 8:13 PM GMT
    Not yet, but I imagine it will someday. Good for you for handling it well, I hope it wasn't too awful.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 374 posts
    January 18, 2011 1:07 PM GMT

Hi Karen,

I'm sorry that this happened to you. I agree with most of what the other girls have said hon...you did the right thing by leaving and not getting into it with her. Most 14 year olds are immature and it probably would be a no win situation had you confronted her. Hopefully she eventually thinks about what she did and how stupid it was and maybe learns something from it.

Hugs & kisses,

Monika
    • 2627 posts
    January 16, 2011 7:55 PM GMT
    Today while shopping a young girl notice I was wearing nylons when she saw my ankle below my pant leg when I sat down. She started saying things loudly until I finely got up & left. Only to have her follow me to the car as she continued with the verbal attack until I drove off.
    Has anything like this ever happened to you?
  • January 16, 2011 11:42 PM GMT
    About 6 or 7 years ago I was out on a Saturday afternoon in town, dressed more andro than anything. A tall girl of about 20 exclaimed loudly "Oh my God, its a man!" To which I replied "Wow are you? Yes you look like one actually" At which she shuffled away.
    • 2068 posts
    January 16, 2011 11:57 PM GMT

I Still get it Karen, even though i been FT since 05 but i find with Younger girls its just ignorance on their part.....it amazes me the kind of rubbish they come out with. You did the right thing in walking away hon, the confrontation just AINT worth the hassle. Hope you dont get any more hassle like this.

Lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 1017 posts
    January 16, 2011 11:57 PM GMT
    Hi Karen,

Many years ago I was cleaning the inside of my car in my driveway and a couple of late-teenage girls walked by and one of them shouted, "You are really, really ugly!". I wish I'd had a good comeback, but I didn't.

Best,
    Mellie
    • 2627 posts
    January 17, 2011 12:29 AM GMT
    I've also posted this on our fb page & got a huge response, mostly in pm's. A number of them said I should have confronted her.
    But I like to stay in the background & getting in the face of a 14yr old girl won't do that.
    • 2068 posts
    January 17, 2011 12:48 AM GMT

Confronting her wouldn't have solved anything & it could've made things a HELL of a lot worse.

lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
  • January 17, 2011 4:40 AM GMT
    I'm really sorry to hear that anyone has had to put up with public abuse, it's just not acceptable.
    I've never been in in such a situation and I honestly don't know what my reaction would be.
    If I'm going to be true to myself and start living full time then I suppose it's something I'm inevitably going to have to confront.
    It's not something I'm looking forward to.
    • 430 posts
    January 17, 2011 8:17 AM GMT
    I used to work at a local Rugby League club as a bar tender.

At one point we had Carlotta performing. Carlotta had the first grs in Australia and was a famous Les Girl in the 60's. One night while up on stage she was getting heckled by an 18 year footballer with out missing a beat she turned to him and said "Honey, I'm more man than you'll ever be and more woman than you'll ever get".

A witty put down and nonchalant attitude gets you along way.
    • 734 posts
    January 16, 2011 10:59 PM GMT
    Touch wood, Karen, I've never had a bad experience. Generally speaking, I've found women to be very supportive. Just as an aside, do bear in mind that [UK anyway] a lot of service personnel wear tights as an added layer of insulation in cold weather ...