Depressed

• 2573 posts
    December 24, 2010 2:39 AM GMT
    Zoe,

Try these. When I worked night shift for 12 years I got some daylight spectrum 4' long x 4 110w lamps in a shop fixture and it kept me awake on my nights off. My body believed it was daytime.

http://www.fullspectrumso[...]ns.com/
    • 2127 posts
    December 23, 2010 11:32 AM GMT
    I was lucky to spend much of my youth living in sunny places like Australia and Florida. Now that I'm living in the UK where it gets dark in winter at 3.30pm, I have found that I too suffer from a form of SAD. One of the worst days for me each year is the day that the clocks go back because that means we are in for almost perpetual darkness for the next six months. Perhaps it's not quite as bad as I'm making it out to be but that's how it seems. It's dark when I get up in the morning, gloomy all day and then dark again by 3.30pm.

I believe that during WWII they had a system in the UK called, Double Summer Time which put us two hours ahead of GMT during the winter months. Although it was dark in the mornings (as it is anyway), that gave us brighter evenings and a sense of well-being.

Interestingly, I've discovered that David Cameron has been looking at the possibility of either reintroducing Double Summertime or putting the UK on the same time zone as most of continental Europe. Either option would lead to lighter evenings in winter, Double Summer Time offering the most light.

Here's an article about it in the Torygraph...

http://www.telegraph.co.u[...]me.html

In the meantime however, while we're waiting for silly politicians to make up their minds, we can always buy a SAD Light and pretend we're living in sunnier climes...

Here's more...

http://www.sad.org.uk/

Hugs, Katie x
  • December 23, 2010 1:41 PM GMT
    Zoe,
    A guaranteed cure for depression:
    A new dress and shoes.
    Works wonders for any girl!

Sorry about the repeat posts girls.
    When I looked at my original I didn't like "old age" reference!
    Should have been "age old!"

But I still maintain a new dress and/or shoes is/are a great uplift.
    Works for me anyway!
    • 1017 posts
    December 22, 2010 2:11 AM GMT
    Hi Zoey,

I've been very, very lucky to have never had to deal with depression so I can't really understand what you are going through. All I can do is tell you that I've come to view you as a friend and I hope all the best for you. I know you are going through rough times but please know that you have friends who love you, and I know I'm not the only one.

You take care and be well,
    Mellie

• 181 posts
    December 22, 2010 1:34 PM GMT
    Zoe, if ya need to vent or whatever , I can send my phone via a P- M ........... ellen
    • 1980 posts
    December 22, 2010 10:36 PM GMT
    Hi Zoe-

Living in Seattle, I can so relate. I just want to wish you the best of luck in dealing with having SAD. Has your Dr recommended anything helpful, like vitamins or light therapy? Not like Bud Lite, but one of those full spectrum lamp thingies. Best wishes to you and yours this Holiday Season. Love your pic, btw, your smile is certainly full spectrum.

Hugs...Joni Mari
  • December 23, 2010 12:27 AM GMT
    I've heard of "artificial daylight" lighting being used in Nordic countries to successfully combat your type of depression.
  • December 23, 2010 5:13 AM GMT
    Years ago I had a temporary bout of depression, but maybe mid-life crisis, not lack of sunlight as maybe SAD is caused by. I can attest that depression is not something you can just "will" away. Maybe Iowa just does not have enough sunshine for you; if you have the wherewithal, try Florida during the winter as many "snowbirds" from the North do, or some other sunny locale. Florida has many sunny days during the winter although sometimes cloudy and cold like last week. You might enjoy one of the beaches too. No, I don't work for the tourism bureau; in fact, most days I'm stuck in an office with no windows. But one of my fantasies is going to the beach in a bikini.

Best of luck, Louise
    • 252 posts
    December 21, 2010 10:30 PM GMT
    I've been diagnosed with seasonal afffective disorder. So, I guess the lack of sun really has been bothering me. I'm glad I got some help with this. However, I'm glad I didn't tell them everything. Suicidal ideations get you into a nice rubber room for Christmas.

Z