Victory over the transphobes.

• February 26, 2011 11:11 AM GMT
    A few weeks ago just before I went off for my surgery I went into my local Tesco supermarket - for non-UK readers there are Tescos in every town - and wandered round selecting a basket of things. went to a checkout and put the things on the conveyor and waited while another woman was served. The assistant started tallying my things then asked me if I needed a bag or help with packing but I said no thanks then she stared hard at me, obviously read me as a bloke in a frock and called another assistant over and whispered something in her ear. other assistant ran to another checkout assitant and very conspiratorially whispered in her ear. I realised what was happening but carried on packing my things and paying and then walked past the other two who gave me a very smirking look. I looked around to see if there was a senior supervisor but as I have only one bus an hour and couldn't wait I left the store and at the door turned round to se them all smirking at me. So once home I wrote a complaint to the manager stating that while I am transsexual I am also legally a women as per UK legislation and that the incident was very serious sex discrimination and I included the till receipt so they could check the time and assistant and told them to look at their CCTV to see the chain of events.
    What was interesting is that nothing directly was said to me.

Just this morning I have letter from manager: I can assure you that the incident has been investigated and the people concerned have been dealt with following company guidelines. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Legally of course I could have caused a real stink by claiming transphobic discrimination but I think this letter is a nice outcome for all concerned.
  • February 26, 2011 5:40 PM GMT
    Hi Rose.

Way to go! I am proud of the way you delt with you situataion by being calm and collected about the whole incedent instead of making a "big stink" about it. Soem problems are best resolved quietly instead of drawing attention to it by screaming and hollering and making a big fuss. In a perfect world we would all be accepted and treated with dignity. However, as we can see in various caes this is not to be. Good going Rose, keep it up!
  • February 26, 2011 6:32 PM GMT
    Hiya Rose xxXxx

Perfect example of a lady, No doubt a forceful reminder to their staff will be due. At least they had the courtesy to reply. Always reminds me of the incident from the film Pretty Woman, Next time you will be treated with the courtesy and respect due to you. I hope.
    • 43 posts
    February 27, 2011 4:53 PM GMT
    Hi Rose,

Nice to hear that they are taking it seriously. I good way to handle the situation and will be interesting to see how you get on next time you are at that Tescopoly store.

• 734 posts
    February 27, 2011 10:50 PM GMT
    Congrats Rose, probably the best way to deal with it. I hope yours was simply an isolated incident. I use my local tesco at least four times a week with no problem at all ... x
    • 25 posts
    August 26, 2011 10:19 AM BST

A victory there Rose!

Unless we keep on plugging away at situations like these nothing will ever change, bosses ask for funding to have trans aware training, and if no incidents are reported the accountants say that transphobia isn't a problem, so no training is needed! Hugs n' stuff Sammi xXx

This post was edited by Sammi Gray at August 26, 2011 10:19 AM BST
  • September 15, 2011 12:12 AM BST

the transphobes at Tesco are still at it so I'm saving for a minicam to catch them doing it and then I'll sue them as I threatened.

legally once we start transition and especially when we get a GRc we have to be treated as fully female so its simple sex discrimination and hate crime and gender equality act so a test case in the high court would get me big bucks in damages.

just need to catch them at it with pix and helpful witnesses.

• October 21, 2011 7:29 PM BST

Oh, hunnie, I'm so sorry that you are being subjected to this, it is thoroughly shameful that you are being subjected to this abuse.
    Do you have a friend who could go with you and act as just another shopper, but come together at the check out so she could witness this abusive behaviour - it would be better if she or he (your friend) was not seen talking to you as this would lessen her/his credibility as an independent witness.

If you were to try and video them, they would probably not do it, so you wouldn't be able to record their hostility and mocking behaviour, so maybe trying to make a video of them doing it would be impossible.

Is this happening every time you go in there now, or is it just confined to one or two members of their staff who happen to be on the checkouts when you shop there.

Hugs sweetheart

Carol xxx