All systems are go ...

• 734 posts
    April 5, 2011 1:29 AM BST

Just a welcome to the new site m'dears. I've deliberately avoided posting in my cherished forum as I was unsure what would come across and what would not. Now we are safely ensconced in the new future, let's re-invigorate our threads... Laughing

Rae xx

• April 5, 2011 2:33 AM BST

Coollooks good Rae, looking forward to checking out the new site, the only thing is still wondering when the chat app will be up and running?hugs, ursula

• April 10, 2011 4:59 PM BST

It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents — except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.

Ok ... aside from the fact that it is a big run-on sentence.....  Name the Novelist and novel (without Googling or Binging it)..

• 734 posts
    April 13, 2011 6:27 PM BST

Waaaay too hard for my poor and feeble brain! I confess, Michelle, I had to google ... Embarassed

Rae x

• April 17, 2011 11:08 PM BST

Right, you weren't the only one Rae, I have heard the phrase so often, but did not realize it was actually part of a novel,  I have no idea either.

• April 18, 2011 6:34 AM BST

"It was a dark and stormy night" is an infamous phrase written by Victorian novelist Edward Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton at the beginning of his 1830 novel Paul Clifford.[1] The annual Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest uses the phrase as a signifier of purple prose.

The Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest was formed to "celebrate" the worst extremes in this style. The contest, sponsored by the English Department of San Jose State University, recognizes the worst examples of "dark and stormy night" writing.

This post was edited by Former Member at April 18, 2011 6:35 AM BST
  • April 18, 2011 6:41 AM BST

This post was edited by Former Member at April 18, 2011 6:41 AM BST