new site

Tags : None
  • sorry to say this but the new site does not work as it was promised to do, i hope this is sorted out reall soon as i would hate to loose my friends because i cannot chat with them.

it does not work with i pod as it wont bring up the keyboard, can someone tell me when this might be sorted

April 5, 2011 9:00 PM BST
  • Its a shame...  lets not knock poor katie..  I'm sure, and hope it will be right soon

April 5, 2011 11:27 PM BST
  • Give it Time monique......there were always going to be teething probs with it being a new site. It'll come good, that much i'm certain of.Cool

"When the world gets in my face i say HAVE A NICE DAY"
      April 6, 2011 12:00 AM BST
  • I'm looking forward to seeing the new chatroom up and running too!

April 6, 2011 1:38 PM BST

Bleh, I hope this gets sorted out soon...

I am the itch, after it was scratched.
      April 6, 2011 3:27 PM BST
  • I have given it time and it seems to be working much better, and i give Katie all the respect in the world for running this site and if i could help i would as it is a great help for mer and all

April 6, 2011 9:18 PM BST
    5 2127 2‚ 0

There was a problem with the chat room but we have fixed it and it's working fine now. 

It's likely that there will be more bugs here and there. Please do let me know if you see anything that doesn't work like it should and we'll get it fixed.

Hugs, Katie   x

Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm!
      April 6, 2011 10:29 PM BST
  • I've been a bit reticent as it was continually seizing up my laptop and I'm a bit paranoid about it (the laptop!) after my recent repair problems. But everything seems fine now.

April 7, 2011 3:55 PM BST
    5 2127 2‚ 0

If you find any more bugs please send me a message and let me know the details so we can fix it.  I think most everythig is working now so perhaps we'll have a proper launch on Saturday or Sunday.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm!
      April 7, 2011 4:08 PM BST
  • You could, of course, have utilized CMMI (Capability Maturity Model Integration) to "improve" your software development process. That way, you could quantize your failure/bug rate to improve your chance of success; however, you will definitely have loss of enthusiasm.

Note: the above is my attempt at software humor if you know what CMMI is.  Actually, I think you have done a great job of getting this new site into operation. Every software project has bugs, some of which can only be found by letting actual users try it.

Love,

Louise

April 8, 2011 3:17 AM BST
    5 2127 2‚ 0

We tested this site for months before unleashing it on the world.  But every time we installed an upgrade to fix the bugs, we also introduced more bugs, including many that we could only find when the site was running normally with lots of people using it.  We could have gone on like that for years so I had to make a decision to make the site live with a 'soft launch' or we'd never have got it up and running.

We're getting thru the few problems that are left though.  It won't be long till it's all working perfectly.

Hugs, Katie   x

This post was edited by katieglover at April 10, 2011 5:48 PM BST
      April 8, 2011 10:11 AM BST

The chat room is still not working correctly. It's really a downer. I miss everyone.

April 10, 2011 5:06 PM BST
    5 2127 2‚ 0

What's wrong with it Zoe?  I just tested it and it seems to be working okay.

Hugs, Katie   x

April 10, 2011 5:47 PM BST
  • I love it - social media done well...

Glitches can be ironed out, but it's fine here on Mac running Firefox x

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2011 8:18 AM BST
      April 10, 2011 7:11 PM BST
    5 2127 2‚ 0

Thanks Keef, we're trying so hard to make everything perfect.

April 10, 2011 7:40 PM BST
  • Ikinda liked things the way they were . Everything worked . I guess I'll go find a cup ofcoffee now . ellen

Liberalism , a desease - E Shaver
      April 12, 2011 7:57 PM BST
    5 2127 2‚ 0

Trouble is Ellen, it didn't work.  The old software was installed in 2002, it was falling down and the company who created it would no longer support it, so we had to move on and modernize or go off air completely.

I know change can be difficult but trust me, this is truly an enormous change for the better, and one which was not only essential but also long overdue.

Please do give it a chance.  Approach it with an open mind and I'm sure it won't be long before you find your way around.

Hugs, Katie   x

April 12, 2011 8:35 PM BST
  • Reminds me of when they update Facebook and people join the 'I want Facebook how it was' group... and then, weeks later, everyone's happy and wondering how they ever managed. It's a change, we'll get used to it, and ultimately there's far more functionality...

Good job Katie x

/K

April 12, 2011 9:02 PM BST
  • as i started this topic i think i should add more. The new site does have its teething problems but it seems to be getting better with every day and i think we should all give it a time. We need to remember that this site is not heavely funded and a lot of members do not pay a fee, which is why it is so accessable for so many that it wouldnt be if we all had to pay. I am one who chooses to pay membership because i can afford to and choose to as this site has helped me out a lot and i have met some great people and made some real nice friends here, and i hope to meet some more of them, maybe at sparkle this year as i am hopefully going this year.

So girls i think we should give the new site a chance and try to work around any problems.

April 12, 2011 11:30 PM BST
  • Katie , the new site is kinda hard to navagate still. I can't make the front page recognize me . I have to sign in and the place where I had the page saved is now saying the page dosen't exist . Oh I'll manage , shoot , I just like it when things aren't all complicated . I have enough to manage as I just got back out of the hospital . ellen

Liberalism , a desease - E Shaver
      April 15, 2011 2:12 PM BST

I don't know what's going on. I have yet to see more than two people in the chat room at one time. This is really bumming me out. I have friends here but I guess I'll have to try and make a connection on Facebook.

April 15, 2011 2:52 PM BST
    5 2127 2‚ 0

Maryanne T was telling me what a great evening she spent in the chat room a few nights back and how there were plenty of people there.  I guess you just have to pick your moment.

Remember, we have still not launched this site fully yet and it is still in Beta mode.  We haven't told the membership about it at all yet so only those who have stumbled upon it and our regulars know it even exists.  I want it to be as good as possible before mailshotting the whole membership to tell them about it.  That should stimulate the traffic levels a lot I hope and we will suddenly see this site really come to life.

However, it's got to be right first and the membership/registration problem is still being worked on.  As soon as that is solved in the next day or two, we will launch properly.

I hope you are on the mend Ellen.  I'm not sure what kind of problem you are having though.  You have obviously been able to log in okay because you were able top post in this thread.  If you can drop me a line and give me some more information on the problem, I will try to help.

Hugs, Katie   x

April 15, 2011 3:51 PM BST
  • Why do I get the new site when I type in "Gendersociety.com" on my computer ?

<p>ooxxoo</p>
      April 16, 2011 7:34 AM BST
  • I've seen some eveings where we have had a good crowd in the chat room, and more times than usual when I'm the only person there.

I DO miss the sounds in the room, because that tells me when there is some activity ans its worth coming back.

Other than that, I think its fair that we all remain pateint. Running a website can be like a full time job sometimes and I'm sure Katie only made the changes because it was necessary

I had noticed a decline in numbers in the chat room before the change; There is a scase for a 'recruitment drive', and I think that falls on all of us to carry out.

This post was edited by Pip Gee at April 16, 2011 12:57 PM BST
      April 16, 2011 9:03 AM BST
    5 2127 2‚ 0

Hi Joanne and Pip,

> Why do I get the new site when I type in "Gendersociety.com" on my computer ?

The reason is because this is the only site now.  The old site has finally bitten the dust and been replaced with this one.  Hope you like it.

> Running a website can be like a full time job sometimes...

I usually start around 8.30am and an hardly ever finish working before 10pm.  I do that seven days a week.  I'd say that's pretty full time.

> There is a scase for a 'recruitment drive', and I think that falls on all of us to carry out.

Yes, this new site has cost us a fortune and there's a lot more to come yet.  We do need to get a lot more people using the site now so yes, we definitely have to do a big recruitment drive.  I can't do all this alone though, so I really would appreciate it if everyone would try to get their TG friends and acquaintances involved.  The chat room doesn't need to be empty.  Let's get this thing going.

Thanks and hugs, Katie   x

April 16, 2011 10:26 AM BST