My biggest Bain: Body Hair

• 871 posts
    April 25, 2011 10:16 AM BST

Hi everyone,

I have explored several options but I still dont really know what to do so I am hoping that new ideas can be discussed here.

I have been on hormones for over two years. I have experienced some wonderful changes that have made me very happy indeed. However, my body hair remains the bain of my life. I was born with a gorilla suit so I have always been aware that it will be a challenge for me to deal with.

I am on benefits at the moment and despite my funds being very limited I am working towards using £10 a fortnight for electrolysis but have been informed that this only works for facial hair.

Although I only need to shave twice a week and after 4 days friends say they can hardly notice any regrowth on my face, I can, and I really dont want to spend the rest of my life shaving my chest and other parts.

I have a little home laser machine (i think its a rio scanner) and it seems effective but very VERY slow. I would love to spend several thousand on having full body laser treatment but is obviously beyond my current financial ability.

I havent tried veet or other chemical treatments because I am a little scared of burning myself. Maybe I should be a little more daring.

Is it true that epilating can actually destroy folicals?

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions that I have not explored.

Much Love

Penny

x

This post was edited by Penny Zenny at April 25, 2011 10:18 AM BST
  • April 25, 2011 10:09 PM BST

BANE!  

Estrogen will shift a lot of it eventually.  Electrolysis shift any hair will but you need a double rollover to afford so much.

Epilating stings enough to give the impression  of FOLLICLES being killed but we have so many dormant ones that the epilights won't kill so it seems an uphill no win situation.

I just felt the patch of jaw where I had first electro done and its still smooth and hairless.

Veet will take off the top layer off skin before it kills those male hairs and leave a slow to heal bleeding aptch.

• 308 posts
    April 26, 2011 5:10 AM BST

Penny,

If read your post right. I have never heard of laser electrolysis not working on anything else except for the face. I have had my arms, back, face, done with great results, and that is over ten yrs ago.

A friend of mine even had her legs and chest done, with the same results. They say, that laser electrolysis reduces, and does not eliminate hair, but I have had the opposite result. I will add though, I did have some (needle ) electrolysis done on the face. It's a long endeavor and expensive, I had a lot of body hair also.

Now, I have been on T-blockers for about two yrs and the hair on my legs is almost none existent.  This may be due to age, not sure with this. So you might give your mones some more time.

I do not think there is any cheaper way to go, that is as effective as electrolysis. Some of the other things I have not tried.

BTW, luv your new pic.Wink

Good luck..Huggs...Tammy

This post was edited by Tammy Brianne at April 26, 2011 5:14 AM BST
    • 1652 posts
    April 26, 2011 6:02 PM BST

Hi Penny. It's not true that electrolysis only works on the face, but if you are considering having it done on your whole body all I can say is, rather you than me. It would cost a small fortune, if not a large one, so if your home laser is working then stick to that. Electrolysis is not a speedy process either.

I've been using an epilator for years on my arms and legs, they do not kill follicles. I don't think they will have any particular long-term effect on hairs; the hair will initially grow back slightly finer and paler as it's had to start from scratch, so if you keep using it regularly you may find it preferable to shaving or Veet.

xx

• 51 posts
    April 27, 2011 9:00 AM BST

Hi Penny

I've never had any luck with Veet, it's the burns I don't like... even the stuff for 'sensitive skin' has the same effect. I have recently started using the new Veet moisturiser, that reduces the appearance of hair regrowth, I've been using it after a shower ever day, and it seems to be having an effect, mainly on my arms and torso, I'm not yet convinced about the legs though, but it's early days yet, I'll try to remember to keep you updated...

Love and Hugs

Tara

• 34 posts
    April 28, 2011 10:37 AM BST

I'm self medding and I've recently stated takin Spirolactane which as helped with hair regrowth although I do shave face and body when I see any developing

• 734 posts
    May 1, 2011 2:20 AM BST

Mmm, Penny, clearly it must depend on what you start with! I've been on hormones for just under two years and my body hair has changed dramatically. Ok, I didn't have loads to start with but I no longer need to shave my arms or legs more than a couple of times a year. Pubic hair pattern has also changed. Have you tried Vaniqa cream? I will confess that I haven't despite being prescribed it 18 months ago - I still have the unopened tube! It takes about six weeks to kick in but is meant to really decrease the appearance of the hair. It was prescribed for facial hair but the hormones have reduced that a fair bit as well so I haven't used it. That said, I did read reports of people having spots and the like so that put me off - oh vanity! But, in fairness those reports were several years old and others happily used it all over their body. Maybe do a little research and see if it's for you ...

Best wishes

Rae

• 1652 posts
    May 1, 2011 7:19 AM BST

I use Vaniqa every day, have done for several years. It works really well, doesn't cause spots, the longer you use it the more the results show. But it is only prescribed for use on the face (it comes in small tubes). I haven't shaved my face for years.

xx

• 871 posts
    May 1, 2011 10:42 AM BST

Oh, I have heard of Vaniqa but never pursued it to which I will now do and give it a try.

Thanks x

• 734 posts
    May 1, 2011 3:32 PM BST

Thanks Lucy, that gives me a bit more confidence! x

• 1017 posts
    May 2, 2011 2:00 PM BST

A few hair removal options:

http://www.stylelist.com/2011/04/27/hair-removal/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl7%7Csec3_lnk3%7C211751

(If the link doesn't work, copy and paste into your browser)

Best, Mellie

• May 2, 2011 3:22 PM BST

the hormones have taken care of the hair on my legs,and bottom,and slowed alot on my chest.

have been on hormones 12 years.spirolactone helps slow hair growth and in some instances have stoped it according to a new survey.my face is still a major problem tho,and can not afford lazer treatment.what has helped prolong the regrowth is after shaving I use a conair skin sander to sand the hair down,but you have to be careful not to put on to much pressure,and keep the skin tight,or it will give you skin burn.

• 51 posts
    June 6, 2011 9:36 AM BST

Finally an update on the Veet Moisturiser. After several weeks of use I can tell you all that it does seem to work, since starting using the product I am only shaving once every week and a half to two weeks. There may, however, be something of a placebo effect, as I'd like to think it was doing something. The other oint to note is that as I am 'just' a crossdresser it is may not be as important to me as I am just a bloke in a dress at the end of the day, and so do not have to be clean shaven everyday, especially for my work as gardener, but then I am a bit OCD about hair on my legs (I hate it, it's so ugly). Using the stuff everday after a shower has meant that I am on my third bottle since my original post, so I'm getting through about 1 a week, but I am using it all over, legs, arms chest and belly, so it's not bad. If you want to try it look for deals in Boots or other stores as it's RRP is £5.99 but it is often available for less