coming out

• May 18, 2011 3:05 PM BST

I've been having some issues since I was 5, fantasizing about being a girl, and such. Now, I'm older and  wish to transition, but first I want some opinions on how to come out... I have a boyfriend, he's a secret to my friends and family, but he's willing to stick with me through the transition. Anyways, my parents are very intolerant of LGBT. They pity us, but don't hate us. I want to find an approach to this that wont cause a war with my parents. Any suggestions?

• May 30, 2011 11:51 AM BST

you're 22 so you're entitled to have whatever partner you like.whether he'd want to stick around if you transition and lose your penis is something only trying it will discover. leave home and transition and let parents know about what you think is the real you.wishing doesn't make it happen...actioning is needed.T'aint easy.

• 126 posts
    June 24, 2011 1:53 PM BST

Hi Severin

I found the hardest part was how to begin to try and say to my family, something that I had kept hidden from them for decades. It was hard to work out a way to do it, but in the end I went for.... “There is something about me that I need you to know. It doesn’t change me as a person, but it might change your perception of me.”

Then I went into the details of my being transgendered and after that I put in a few answers I thought they might be looking for, but would be too embarrassed to ask about.

I posted about it somewhere in here to come to think of it, hang on I’ll go looky.

Mandy’s coming out

If that’s not your style, then have a look through some of the other posts and see if you can put sumit together from them.

This post was edited by Mandy Watts at June 24, 2011 1:54 PM BST
  • June 27, 2011 9:18 PM BST

I agree with some of Rose's ad Mandy's comments. They both make valid points.

The main thing to realize isthat noone can tell you the best way to do what you need to do. It helped me a lot going through other girls posts and detemiing what would be best for me. I had to work up to telling my parents. It's gonna be sacry at first. However I feel the best thing you can do is just go for it. If you've ever taking any acting or public speaking classes it helps.

Make sure that your BF is supportive. If he is then that's a great start. If you can find them I have made several posts as well if you can find them the same with manyof the girls.

Just keep strong and rember while we can't tell you what will work for you, we are here for support. So be strong.

Megan C 

"First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to."
    ~Epictetus