Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Transgender Movies » Marcia in Coronation Street

Marcia in Coronation Street

Tags : None
  • I know its not a movie (but there doesn't appear to be a television forum).

What is the general opinion of the transvestite storyline on Coronation Street? Personally I think the Mark / Marcia thing is poorly presented and obviously done just for television. Programs  like this have a duty to represent minority groups in an accurate and sympathetic light, not just playing for ratings.  

<p>Alice</p> <p>"You can be whoever you are in Shangri-la" - Neil Innes </p>
      May 30, 2011 8:52 AM BST
  • I think they explained it reasonably well, stating that he wasn't automatically gay because he wore women's clothes, and pointing out the difference between Marsha the TV and Hayley the TS. Maybe they could have done it better, but it certainly could have been worse; there didn't seem to be any mocking or derision towards TV's.

I'm sorry though, I think Mark/Marsha's acting is terrible!

xx

This post was edited by Lucy Diamond at May 30, 2011 3:02 PM BST
      May 30, 2011 10:14 AM BST
  • I agree Mark/Marcia needs acting lessons. I guess I dont like the way it was represented. I felt that Hayley would have been keen to help, since she would have encountered similar bigotry. I suspect they were trying to seperate Transsexuality and Transvestism, but to me they took a sledgehammer to a nut, and in true Corrie tradition the subject will probably barely raise its head again, thus proving to the viewers that it is a freak situation.

I understand the person who plays Hayley spent a lot of time researching the character, and that is to be applauded, since it was really well handled at the time, and continues to be when the subject is raised.  

<p>Alice</p> <p>"You can be whoever you are in Shangri-la" - Neil Innes </p>
      May 30, 2011 2:36 PM BST
  • I agree with you Alice, they certainly could have done it more delicately.

I think it's great that they have the long standing TS character, Hayley, who now very rarely receives comments relating to her past. I do think they copped out a bit casting a natal female to play the part though.

When will Eastenders get a TS character I wonder.

I am available.

xx

May 30, 2011 3:02 PM BST