What kind of Motorcycle do you have?

• 10 posts
    June 18, 2011 2:50 AM BST

Seems like a lot of trans people ride motorcycles. Even sissy Turner Prize winner, Grayson Perry has one! What kind of motorcycle do you have and/or what would your dream machine be?

• 871 posts
    June 18, 2011 5:05 AM BST

i had, i say had until it was stollen, a 1978 gs1000, a hack but some say chopped, lovd it to bits xxx

• 871 posts
    June 18, 2011 5:08 AM BST

im a human being - i didnt realise i deserved less dignity than anyone else

• June 18, 2011 7:25 AM BST

A '99 Harley Davidson Sportster 883! Yet to let me down! Love it! Perfect sweet spot between a big twin cruiser and a sport bike.

• 1017 posts
    June 18, 2011 4:55 PM BST

I don't ride anymore due to failing eyesight and slowed reaction times due to age, but motorcyles were one of the great passions of my life. I saw Easy Rider in 1969 and was hooked. I owned quite a few between 1968 and 1990. I was half owner of a custom motorcycle shop through most of the 1970'a so almost always had a project bike for times when business was slow.

My first was a 1966 Honda CL77 305cc Scrambler, bought from my then girlfriend's father. Scramblers were street bikes with hight exhaust pipes which supposedly made them suitable for off-road use (NOT.)

I got a 1949 Panther Model 100 600cc Single cylinder with a fully enclosed sidecar. It was a beast to kick start and was capable of launching the unwary into the sky if you didn't hit the compression stroke at just the right time. (Wikipedia has a picture of a 1951 model with the same sidecar that looks almost identical to mine. check out the entry: Phelon & Moore, who manufactured Panthers.)

I bought a frame, engine, forks and wheels and rebuilt them into a complete bike, a 700cc 1957 Royal Enfield Super Meteor vertical twin. Mine was originally sold as an Indian, Enfields were imported and sold under that marque after the Indian Motorcycle Company went out of business in 1953. Not a restoral, but a custom with 21" front wheel, 16" rear, dual disc brakes mouted to a Harly springer front end, SU carb, coffin tank. My daily ride for years.

I found an old Indian flathead V-twin and restored it into it's original 1948 Indian Chief 1200cc. Yes, the big Indian with fender skirts and a girder front end. It came out red and beautiful and I sold it to a collector. Found most of the parts at the old Rose Bowl motorcycle swap meets, but I never found the fenders, I fitted fiberglass reproductions, which lessened the value conciderably.

I bought a huge pile of Triumph motorcycle parts from another girlfriend's father. It consisted of about 2 1/2 Triumph Trophy 500cc's and a 650 Bonneville set up for sidehack racing in the desert with a spare engine. The plan had been to race the Bonnie with the GF as my "monkey", but she dumped me so I rebuilt it into a 1964 Bonneville 650cc TT bike with alloy rims, low bars, fiberglass gas tank and racing seat.

Finally I, too, owned a 883cc Harley Sporster, though mine was nowhere as reliable as Chris'. It was made by sports equiptment maker AMF, who had bought out Harley Davidson. To say the quality of their bikes was crap is to insult crap. A customer brought it into the shop for an engine rebuild and then couldn't pay the bill so I ended up with it. When we got through with it, it had a a great engine but the rest of the bike was bent, scuffed, dented or falling off. A true "rat bike."

I had a few others that I was building for myself, but customers made me offers I couldn't refuse for them.

• 16 posts
    June 18, 2011 9:10 PM BST

I have a Honda ST1300 touring bike.  Great fun, longest ride was about 700 miles.  The bike road like a dream but I tired to easy.  Thank God for rest stops.  I think shorter rides are just as fun.

• June 18, 2011 11:09 PM BST

I have a Harley 883c sportster and its good but a rusty thing if you let it. I have tried to sell it but no takers even though its a 2007 model. Wanted to spend the money on plastic surgery?

• June 18, 2011 11:59 PM BST

Eeek! Yeah none of those ones made in that period under AMF were known for their quality. Fortunately they got out of there and turned things around, or else they probably would have gone under and I never would have found my favorite bike!

• June 20, 2011 2:21 PM BST

I had a kawasaki 175 dirt bike and a yamaha dirt bike.I wrecked the yamaha trying to jump my car.I also had a kawasaki 750 that I used for touring eastern canada and the USA between maine and south carolina

• 1652 posts
    June 20, 2011 2:32 PM BST

I just bought a Suzuki Alto, does that count?

xx

• 871 posts
    June 20, 2011 8:16 PM BST

only if it takes you where you want to go!

• 5 posts
    June 21, 2011 1:42 AM BST

my bike is a 99 husqivarna 610 dirt bike also got bikes for my boys suzuki rm85 and a yamaha yz 80 they love to ride every chance we get

• 5 posts
    June 21, 2011 1:42 AM BST

my bike is a 99 husqivarna 610 dirt bike also got bikes for my boys suzuki rm85 and a yamaha yz 80 they love to ride every chance we get

• 51 posts
    June 21, 2011 8:56 AM BST
    A 1994 Ducati M600 Monster. Off the road at the moment but hopefully a summer project for my would be mechanic eldest before he goes to college. It's Ferrari Yellow and gorgeous.
  • June 23, 2011 12:18 PM BST

Hey do any of you read / what do you think of SupeBike Magazine? http://www.superbike.co.uk/

• September 7, 2011 12:01 PM BST

Biker Babes....I've got a ZXR750 had it since new still love it to bits and it loves me lol