Which restroom?

• July 3, 2011 6:25 PM BST

This may be what amounts to a silly question. I’ve gone out before in femme with my wife. While we’ve been out and I’ve need to use the restroom she would go with me and I would use the women’s restroom.

However a few weeks ago I read about a t-girl who was severely beaten by a gg for trying to use the women’s restroom.

This weekend I will be taking my first trip out of town by myself dressed in femme. I will not have the advantage of my strong overprotective wife with. This has got me a little nervous.

So the question that I have is: If I don’t tell anyone that I’m TG is there any problem with me using the women’s restroom?

I’ve been told that when I dress I pass and this was by female friends. When I’ve went to the restroom in femme with my wife I never even received a second look. I also have been called ma’am on several occasions when I have not been dressed in femme even though I haven’t even started hormones.

Do you think that maybe I’m stressing over nothing?

Please be honest.

• 1017 posts
    July 3, 2011 6:56 PM BST

Hi Megan,

The answer is pretty simple: use the restroom of the gender you are presenting as. Doing anything else is asking for trouble, either way.

If you are in a really rough neighborhood, hold it till you can get yourelf to a safer place.

Good luck, Mellie

• July 3, 2011 8:16 PM BST

If I'm dressed as a woman I use the Ladies.  If dressed as a man the Gents.  To do otherwise would really be asking for trouble.

• 1017 posts
    July 3, 2011 8:22 PM BST

Some additional hints:

Always sit to pee if you are in the Ladies - no exceptions.

If you are in andro mode, choose the restroom with the shortest line. (And it is never the Ladies.)

Women seldom have a continuous steady stream, a bit of gentle squeezing will be less noticable from the next stall.

• July 4, 2011 12:19 AM BST

Thank you Ladies I appreciate the advice.

• 871 posts
    July 4, 2011 11:43 AM BST

Hiya Megan,

Once I got used to using the ladies I found it is much nicer, cleaner and doesnt smell of amonia. When it was busy I just concentrated on the next free cubicle whilst I was in the queue. I felt that if i looked around at the women going by or look as if theres a problem I felt that I would have drawn attension to myself.

When I first started using the ladies I had a few funny looks but I've always had positive interactions whilst washing my hands or touching my face up. Now if someone makes a point of looking at me I look back as if to say "Whats your problem?" non agressively then carry on whilst ignoring them and they soon move on with what they were doing.

If you are feeling a bit nervous then it might be a good idea to check that your personal alarm and mobile phone are easily accessable in your handbag before you go in which will hopefully give you a bit of peace of mind and help boost your confidence

Best of luck huni.

x

• July 4, 2011 4:16 PM BST

Thank you Penny.Your a huge help as always.

• 41 posts
    July 4, 2011 5:02 PM BST

I use the  the restroom that matches my appearance. If in doubt, you may have to wait.I've had no issues so far.Even in shopping malls. Enter ,do your business and go on as if you belong.Leagally,In Oregon and Washington I can use the restroom that matches my outward appearance.

• 1652 posts
    July 5, 2011 10:56 AM BST

I guess we've all heard stories of T-girls being attacked or abused for using the ladies', but going into the men's whilst dressed is surely more likely to be asking for trouble!

If you pass well, you are certainly stressing over nothing.

In restrooms or anywhere, if you feel someone is looking at you, the best response is to smile at them, it works wonders; 9 out of 10 people will smile back. There is no law against looking at people, don't let insecurity get the better of you by assuming they are thinking bad things about you.

It's human nature to be curious.

xx

• July 5, 2011 8:56 PM BST

THank you Lucy and everyone else I appreciate the advice.

• 2573 posts
    July 8, 2011 10:17 AM BST

Personally, if I had to be beaten up, I would prefer it be done by a female than a male.  Use the restroom you present as.

• 1 posts
    July 9, 2011 3:03 AM BST
    Good point Wendy but trust me, even now I'd rather fight a man. I have no issues with rest rooms especially when I am at work (I'm LEO again) because I am confident and look like I belong. Be careful and considerate of all the other people and if there is a problum take responsiblity for anything you did to make it worse.
    If you look like you don't belong there it might be wise to find a dark place to pee into a coffee cup. It IS possible that you could get in trouble rergardless of which one you choose .
    • 181 posts
    July 23, 2011 4:44 PM BST

Once again, Melody beat me to da punch, sorry, no pun intended ! Look, if you're going to go out in public as a Female , act like one and do everything as a female would . This subject has been broached before as I recall in some reports from the U K .

REMEMBER, at ALL TIMES , ACT like a Lady , for you're own saftey !!!!!!!! ellen