Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » USA Forum » Insurance: can they do that?

Insurance: can they do that?

Tags : None
  • So I was looking on-line trying to get health insurance. I’ve heard god things about Blue Cross Blue Shield. So I was looking under their plan descriptions and under the Exclusions and Limitations on of the things that they will not cover is; “Transsexual treatment, surgery, medications and related services.

I’m not a law major and not sure if they can actually do this. Is this fair or does this count as discrimination.

I don’t know it just blows my mind that it would specifically say that and I had to say something.

July 7, 2011 5:12 PM BST
  • Including TS treatments in health insurance is a relatively recent phenomenon and not yet widespread.  Considering how few people would utilize it, it seems more of a social decision than, a fiscal one, to exclude it.

"A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      July 8, 2011 10:12 AM BST
  • Most health insurance mandates, like car insurancace, require you to state any known health issues, anything pertinant  in assesing the risk to them.  

So for example you came out with the ''I have always known from a very young age I was female''  to get on a treatment course, and had not declared it, that would nullify your claim,.... if you declare it on your statement of causes likely to exclude you from such insurance or likliehood of making a claim, then the premiums would be adjusted to the point of making the idea of insurance prohibitive.     bit like saying, ''been banned 5 times for speeding, had 20 accidents, can you insure me to driver a Ferrari. how much.   erm 1.2M.  Tongue out

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
    This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at July 9, 2011 12:12 AM BST
      July 9, 2011 12:08 AM BST
  • So, Cristine, you are saying it's about the Insurance Companies right to penalize "Woman Drivers"?

<p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      July 9, 2011 12:17 AM BST
  • Nooooo, its about how insurance companies have a policy worldwide to wriggle out of making any recompense.    In the UK if you neglect to mention anything on your application for an insurance policy and its found when making a claim, then kiss goodbye to your payout.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
    This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at July 9, 2011 12:24 AM BST
      July 9, 2011 12:23 AM BST
  • Was just kidding. When I called my Insurance Company to tell them I needed to add my new car to my policy, they only wanted to know the make (Ford) and model (Mustang). Was supprised they didn't care that it was the "GT" (V8 model) and a convertable. They gave me a final rate quote before I faxed them the Bill of Sale with the particulars. Now if I'd told them I was TG...

<p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      July 9, 2011 12:30 AM BST
  • 2 2627

What Cristine is saying is insurance will not cover a pre-contition.

Insurance companies can & will exclude anything & everything they can get away with.

<p>Karen Brad</p>
      July 10, 2011 4:20 AM BST

Insurance companies are in the business of making money. Ergo, they don't pay claims - they take their time making you wait for payment on ligitimate clains - they'll drop you if they can.

Tell me Crissie - do health insurance companies still exist where there is universal health coverage?

hugs

Gracie

<p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      July 12, 2011 5:38 PM BST