Privacy

• September 27, 2011 9:49 AM BST

Did you realise, those who have joined using their real names, that Google can pick up on your name and show your profile picture and location.  As a result of this I decided to change my name from the one in my profile to something more anonymous.

I only joined last night, but already have a link to my profile on Google (see screen grab below):-

• 2127 posts
    September 28, 2011 9:59 AM BST

If you joined Facebook last night the same thing would have happened.  The reason is because your public profile is exactly that - public!  It's the same with almost all social networks, not just us.

However, while Facebook insists that you should use your real name or risk having your account closed, at The Gender Society we know that the vast majority of our members want to use their femme names and so we are happy with that.  Most members don't want to use their drab names and we understand that so we have never asked our members to provide their real names.  You can call yourself Crazy Girl or even Minnie Mouse if you want and it's not a problem.

Furthermore, we offer extensive privacy controls which allow you to decide just who can see your profile (just you, only friends, friends and networks or the whole world).  It's up to you.  Just click on the settings link at the very top of the page.

The privacy we offer is way beyond that allowed by other sites.  Surely we can't be fairer than that.

Hugs, Katie   x

This post was edited by katieglover at September 28, 2011 10:02 AM BST
  • September 29, 2011 7:58 PM BST

I didn't know this.

luckily there are billions of webpages so unless someone knows your name they may never find you.

• 746 posts
    October 1, 2011 1:12 AM BST

I was found by a family member on the west coast!  Talk about surprised!  (smile)  BTW, he no longer talks to me!  his loss....