How I did it (Carol Y)

• October 3, 2011 12:50 PM BST

It was many years ago, back in 1973.  My father had held very strong views on anything 'different' shall we say, but he had passed away some 6 years previously and my mother was happily remarried and content.  I had been accepted by a GI clinic in Manchester and was starting my hormone treatment and so changes would start to become evident in the near future - so, I had two choices.  Either walk away completely and disappear or to tell her everything and hope she would understand.  The former choice would have been heartless and I decided that the only real option was to tell her everything and let her decide.

It was difficult and the only way way I could tell her would be to narrate this 'story' about a friend of mine who wanted to tell his mother, but wanted to know what a mother's reaction would be like.  I knew that telling the story in the 3rd person would be the only way I could tell the whole story the whole way through without breaking down in tears.  Well, I managed to get the whole thing out and my mother just looked at me, gave me a gentle smile and said "..... and that little boy was you?" - at which time I broke into floods of tears and she just came across to me, cradled me in her arms and said "That's fine, I am here to help you through whatever you have to do to achieve your happiness"

She was incredibly supportive to me from that day on and was even by my bedside when I came round from my SRS.

• 126 posts
    October 3, 2011 4:04 PM BST

That was a lovely way to come out, and an equaly lovely responce from your mum :-)

• 1652 posts
    October 3, 2011 8:49 PM BST

Lovely. She sounds just like my mum who was also there at my bedside, present at both my births.

xx

• October 3, 2011 9:02 PM BST

Hi Lucy - what a wonderful way to describe it, so very true.  I hadn't thought of it like that.  Thank you

• 746 posts
    October 4, 2011 5:33 AM BST

If only more parents were like your mom!  Good for you Carol!!!  (smile)