Ordinary days

Tags : None
  • Most of the time days go by quite ordinarily with only the smallest event marking them out as different from any other day.

Today I was at work which I don’t usually do on a Friday, but today I was down for overtime on the early shift.  On the plan for the morning was swimming, which is something I have been trying to avoid recently, having recently begun to live full time as female, but is something that I know I will have to push myself to get back into doing sometime. Half the problem is that I don’t want to become someone who can always find lots of reasons to not do certain activities, so I knew I had to push myself to get back to it. The other half of the problem is that although I have been telling everyone that I have only had one mans shirt, that is fairly feminine looking, and that I have even stopped wearing that, so in effect I am actually always dressed female anyway but in women’s  trousers, the one thing I forgot about was my swimming shorts. They were men’s baggy swimming shorts, pink of course, but still deffo mans wear, and no chance of pretending to be female there. I had bought a women’s one piece costume recently, yes pink, and also a pair of shorts, also pink, to cover my small but inappropriate bulge, but I had never yet worn them out in public, so the day I donned them was deffo going to be one of those significant, almost momentous days in my transitioning, and today was that day!

On the plan for today was swimming and the shift leader was looking for two of us to support a couple of our guys to go. With a degree of hesitancy I put myself up for it thinking, its going to come one day so it might as well be today. Its Friday, its early, its not going to be busy! Then I realised that wasn’t actually a good thing! Quiet meant that I couldn’t melt into the crowd! Quiet meant that me and my chap, who does tend to stand out himself having a severe learning disability, would make a right pair of odds! Lol Still, I was committed and I really didn’t want to let myself back out of it now, or it would be ten times harder next time, so off we went. It was quiet, I caught a glance of us in the mirror and I looked ok, but possibly stood out a little. We sat in the whirl pool for 20 minutes before my chap decides he’s had had enough and we shuffled off to the lockers.

This was one less ordinary day, and more extra ordinary and highly significant day that came up out of nowhere.

October 14, 2011 5:10 PM BST